Half term

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 1022

Re: Half term

Post by Deleted User 1022 »

ImageImage
Half way through the season and were sitting in 5th place after an excellent start. Then came the 6 week disaster after disaster on the playing field. We lost all confidence in ourselves as a team and as fans we were tested big time. Some cried for TC to get the sack and others have persisted with TC and the team. Right or wrong in our choice at the time I think we all behaved with good intentions on here which was pleasing to see.

I have put up two images of our next half season's fixtures and in my own opinion I do think if we can win most if not all our January games we should be well placed for a challenge for the top two spots, But and yes its a huge BUT, Look at the February fixtures.... There are some really tough games and in my opinion this will be our make it or break it month. Now there is another BUT in the works. It depends on two more things, Transfers in and out during January and what way the FA cup match(es) go. If we can get in some quality in January I believe we could really match the sides above us in the league when we do face them in February and still march on to take second place. Optimistic I am but if I ain't going think this way then what's the point in following the team.

I believe, so now the question is do you?
zigzag
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by zigzag »

Love the second graphic above, really clear and simple.

I agree that Feb is the make or break month, let's hope we go into it in a strong position.
Deleted User 1022

zigzag wrote:Love the second graphic above, really clear and simple.

I agree that Feb is the make or break month, let's hope we go into it in a strong position.
I would prefer coming out of it in a strong position but I get what you mean :thumbup:
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

Great work Cork White. Leeds 14-1 on oddschecker.com for top 2
Deleted User 496

Post by Deleted User 496 »

CorkWhite wrote:ImageImage
Half way through the season and were sitting in 5th place after an excellent start. Then came the 6 week disaster after disaster on the playing field. We lost all confidence in ourselves as a team and as fans we were tested big time. Some cried for TC to get the sack and others have persisted with TC and the team. Right or wrong in our choice at the time I think we all behaved with good intentions on here which was pleasing to see.

I have put up two images of our next half season's fixtures and in my own opinion I do think if we can win most if not all our January games we should be well placed for a challenge for the top two spots, But and yes its a huge BUT, Look at the February fixtures.... There are some really tough games and in my opinion this will be our make it or break it month. Now there is another BUT in the works. It depends on two more things, Transfers in and out during January and what way the FA cup match(es) go. If we can get in some quality in January I believe we could really match the sides above us in the league when we do face them in February and still march on to take second place. Optimistic I am but if I ain't going think this way then what's the point in following the team.

I believe, so now the question is do you?
No.

Auto - No
Play-offs - don't believe either. Would be worried about Villa, Boro and Fulham below us and we have won just 1/5 games against top 6 teams. Of course, real quality and I mean real replacements for Cooper, Wiedwald, and a really good striker might change that.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

I'll give them a B+ :D

Just goes to show what confidence can do to a team, and how unpredictable confidence can be, I mean its the same team isn't it. Credit to TC for turning our slump in form around and believing in himself and his team/tactics when everybody else (me included) were busy telling him where he was going wrong.

The recent big plus for me is the return to form of our talisman PJ. He has looked back to something near is best in both boxes and he really is a leader for me. (well he wants to play in the World Cup, doesn't he) ;)

I still think too many games are being won by fine margins for us to really seriously consider ourselves top 2 contenders just yet. Although in saying that, there will be 10 other teams probably saying the same thing as it opens up at the top of the league once again.

As most other people have mentioned if we could bring 3/4 quality addictions in Jan then we could well be in with a shout. I'm disappointed that Klich as not worked out, imo its got to be attitude as to why he can't even make the squads. If we were really serious about promotion I would try and get some cover in positions LWB, CB, CM & Striker would be great, loans would be fine by me! A couple of injuries to key players could really hurt us going forward.

Its much more enjoyable talking about Football in a positive frame of mind isn't it. :thumbup:
Deleted User 496

Post by Deleted User 496 »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:I'll give them a B+ :D

Just goes to show what confidence can do to a team, and how unpredictable confidence can be, I mean its the same team isn't it. Credit to TC for turning our slump in form around and believing in himself and his team/tactics when everybody else (me included) were busy telling him where he was going wrong.

The recent big plus for me is the return to form of our talisman PJ. He has looked back to something near is best in both boxes and he really is a leader for me. (well he wants to play in the World Cup, doesn't he) ;)

I still think too many games are being won by fine margins for us to really seriously consider ourselves top 2 contenders just yet. Although in saying that, there will be 10 other teams probably saying the same thing as it opens up at the top of the league once again.

As most other people have mentioned if we could bring 3/4 quality addictions in Jan then we could well be in with a shout. I'm disappointed that Klich as not worked out, imo its got to be attitude as to why he can't even make the squads. If we were really serious about promotion I would try and get some cover in positions LWB, CB, CM & Striker would be great, loans would be fine by me! A couple of injuries to key players could really hurt us going forward.

Its much more enjoyable talking about Football in a positive frame of mind isn't it. :thumbup:
Sure is VHTM.
Deleted User 1022

Yes VHTM, it sure is more enjoyable. :D

Dubleeds , I can see where you are coming from with your worries of the teams below us like Villa, Middlesborough and Fulham etc. These are also my own worries too. There are many good teams in this division and were one of them. We have hopefully had our bad patch for the season and I'm not altogether of the belief that we won't have another blip, I am hoping Cardiff will fall down the table soon along with Bristol City who are the surprise package this season for me. The second picture I posted gives a comparison of our clubs fortunes since Larry Grayson was with us and year on year we have improved points wise at the half way term. Considering our huge blip we are still at the same level of points as we were last season, the difference is some of the younger players we had last year will have more experience this time around and with the likes of Pontus coming back into form I do think if we mind our own affairs on the pitch and take care of a few quality signings in January I think we could put the teams above us under enough pressure so that we can catch them and take that second spot. I don't think anyone will catch Wolves they are on fire.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Looking in from afar and having only seen a few games this season I'd say i'm happy with the 5th place come the end of 2017 but i'm not necessarily happy with some of our performances especially when we could not buy a win.

Defence to me is still a problem, goal keeper is not as strong as it should be, I do think that a season in Championship football will do wonders for Wiedwald but its coming to take the rest of the season to iron our his errors etc and that could cost us in the end. Lonners is a ok back up but neither is a No 1 at this time.

Jansson thankfully is coming back into form which we have missed, Ayling and Beradi are solid enough and give their all. Cooper is either excellent or poor and there is no in between for him and that is a concern. Pennington hasn't come on in his chances and Shaughessey is promising but not ready. The others have hardly figured.

Midfield and Phillips started off well and finally sense was seen with Vieira brought into the team, Saiz has started like a house on fire and its probably good that he's having a rest as he was starting to fall off he pace. Hernandez has recently brought back his best form which is a bonus and much needed. Alioski is hot and cold depending on his mood, Cibicki has just come into the side and has looked alright in the matches he has played. Klich is no where to be seen for whatever reason and O'Kane is in and out. Anyone else had not really figured or stood out.

Forward line is pretty simple we have not replace Wood's goals and that will if we do not invest in January hurt us. Roofe looks much better up front than out wide, Lasogga looks like a striker but does not always play like one, Sacko is Sacko, Grot is still learning and is ready for English football just yet and Ekuban is injured.

i picked us to finish 4th (when Wood and Green were still here), i'm really worried that we will go on another really bad run that destroys our season, it happened last season and you feel it could happen again.

in all, the season had a really good start, then we fell over and now recently we have improved our form. I'm happy but i have that feeling of doubt in the back of my mind still, promising!
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Depends on how many of the key players we lost in the summer we replace. Green, Bartly, Taylor & Wood replacements, are still required, as although the individuals relating them are performing better now, that real lack in quality is still evident. David Stockdale would be a key target. Might Bartley & Taylor actually be available ? Our midfield is now significantly stronger, and were much more creative. I’m not sure we’re physicaally tougher but we may be mentally.