Half term

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 3289

Re: Half term

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

isrodger wrote:Depends on how many of the key players we lost in the summer we replace. Green, Bartly, Taylor & Wood replacements, are still required, as although the individuals relating them are performing better now, that real lack in quality is still evident. David Stockdale would be a key target. Might Bartley & Taylor actually be available ? Our midfield is now significantly stronger, and were much more creative. I’m not sure we’re physicaally tougher but we may be mentally.
Not sure about Stockdale tbh. He is a good keeper and a Leeds fan, bad mix imo. Let him enjoy being a fan from afar. I don't think a goalkeeper will be coming in anyway. I think Taylor played in Burnley's draw at Man u the other night so can't see that happening either. We should be looking at the likes of Man city squad, see if we can unerth a gem like Mooy and the like.
Deleted User 496

Post by Deleted User 496 »

CorkWhite wrote:Yes VHTM, it sure is more enjoyable. :D

Dubleeds , I can see where you are coming from with your worries of the teams below us like Villa, Middlesborough and Fulham etc. These are also my own worries too. There are many good teams in this division and were one of them. We have hopefully had our bad patch for the season and I'm not altogether of the belief that we won't have another blip, I am hoping Cardiff will fall down the table soon along with Bristol City who are the surprise package this season for me. The second picture I posted gives a comparison of our clubs fortunes since Larry Grayson was with us and year on year we have improved points wise at the half way term. Considering our huge blip we are still at the same level of points as we were last season, the difference is some of the younger players we had last year will have more experience this time around and with the likes of Pontus coming back into form I do think if we mind our own affairs on the pitch and take care of a few quality signings in January I think we could put the teams above us under enough pressure so that we can catch them and take that second spot. I don't think anyone will catch Wolves they are on fire.
I don't see a team that is capable of losing as many matches as we did in that ridiculous run, as being an auto team.

I'd very happily take 6th right now. In fact, I see accumulating as many points as possible now as insurance against slipping out of top 6 with another calamitous run of defeats. Hope I'm wrong of course
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Its been said that we've only won one and lost 4 against the top six teams and that is certainly not great reading and suggests promotion is doubtful. However using a similar statistic we've not lost against the next 5 teams (7th to 11th) suggesting that none should catch us.

Against the top sides we lost to such as Cardiff & Sheffield when they were in a rich vein of form and we were lacking confidence. If we played now I think the situation as U turned, they have been having a iffy run of games while we are on a roll, think I would fancy us against either currently.

Can't see anyone catching Wolves but 2nd to 6th is up for grabs IMHO (lets hope its 2nd).
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 496

Dubleeds wrote:
CorkWhite wrote:ImageImage
Half way through the season and were sitting in 5th place after an excellent start. Then came the 6 week disaster after disaster on the playing field. We lost all confidence in ourselves as a team and as fans we were tested big time. Some cried for TC to get the sack and others have persisted with TC and the team. Right or wrong in our choice at the time I think we all behaved with good intentions on here which was pleasing to see.

I have put up two images of our next half season's fixtures and in my own opinion I do think if we can win most if not all our January games we should be well placed for a challenge for the top two spots, But and yes its a huge BUT, Look at the February fixtures.... There are some really tough games and in my opinion this will be our make it or break it month. Now there is another BUT in the works. It depends on two more things, Transfers in and out during January and what way the FA cup match(es) go. If we can get in some quality in January I believe we could really match the sides above us in the league when we do face them in February and still march on to take second place. Optimistic I am but if I ain't going think this way then what's the point in following the team.

I believe, so now the question is do you?
No.

Auto - No
Play-offs - don't believe either. Would be worried about Villa, Boro and Fulham below us and we have won just 1/5 games against top 6 teams. Of course, real quality and I mean real replacements for Cooper, Wiedwald, and a really good striker might change that.
I think I was spot on there. Dreamers saw us an an auto team. Well I was right, we are nowhere near that. Play-offs, really don't see that either - we are not good enough.

Cooper still here, Wiedwald (who is a poor keeper for me) still here. No good striker brought in.

We'll finish between 8-12. I'll go for 9th. will come back at end of season to see prediction accuracy.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Dubleeds wrote:
Dubleeds wrote:
Half way through the season and were sitting in 5th place after an excellent start. Then came the 6 week disaster after disaster on the playing field. We lost all confidence in ourselves as a team and as fans we were tested big time. Some cried for TC to get the sack and others have persisted with TC and the team. Right or wrong in our choice at the time I think we all behaved with good intentions on here which was pleasing to see.

I have put up two images of our next half season's fixtures and in my own opinion I do think if we can win most if not all our January games we should be well placed for a challenge for the top two spots, But and yes its a huge BUT, Look at the February fixtures.... There are some really tough games and in my opinion this will be our make it or break it month. Now there is another BUT in the works. It depends on two more things, Transfers in and out during January and what way the FA cup match(es) go. If we can get in some quality in January I believe we could really match the sides above us in the league when we do face them in February and still march on to take second place. Optimistic I am but if I ain't going think this way then what's the point in following the team.

No.

Auto - No
Play-offs - don't believe either. Would be worried about Villa, Boro and Fulham below us and we have won just 1/5 games against top 6 teams. Of course, real quality and I mean real replacements for Cooper, Wiedwald, and a really good striker might change that.
I think I was spot on there. Dreamers saw us an an auto team. Well I was right, we are nowhere near that. Play-offs, really don't see that either - we are not good enough.

Cooper still here, Wiedwald (who is a poor keeper for me) still here. No good striker brought in.

We'll finish between 8-12. I'll go for 9th. will come back at end of season to see prediction accuracy.
Maybe you will be correct (or maybe not) but claiming to be spot on with end of season predictions in January is pure genius :crazy:

Personally i believe football (in fact all sport) is about hope and belief and never go into anything with a defeatest attitude whether playing or supporting. If that makes me a dreamer so be it, I find a life full of positives so much better, I enjoy been a Dreamer. :D
Deleted User 496

Selby White wrote:
Dubleeds wrote:
Dubleeds wrote:

No.

Auto - No

Maybe you will be correct (or maybe not) but claiming to be spot on with end of season predictions in January is pure genius :crazy:

Personally i believe football (in fact all sport) is about hope and belief and never go into anything with a defeatest attitude whether playing or supporting. If that makes me a dreamer so be it, I find a life full of positives so much better, I enjoy been a Dreamer. :D
I said spot on re what I said in December and what has transpired since, i.e. auto but a distant dream now, play-offs in doubt, and Villa, Boro and Fulham above us. You couldn't follow that?

I enjoy being a realist. :shock:
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

I put a little bet on top 2 - Dreaming? Yes but I expected us to be where we are 7th to 11th - Realist? Yes,figure that out! :D
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Dubleeds wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Dubleeds wrote:
Dubleeds wrote:

No.

Auto - No

I said spot on re what I said in December and what has transpired since, i.e. auto but a distant dream now, play-offs in doubt, and Villa, Boro and Fulham above us. You couldn't follow that?

I enjoy being a realist. :shock:
Your predictions were end of season, the season doesn't end in January.
Been a realist thought you may have realised that or maybe I was just dreaming :shock: