John Faulkner

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

John Faulkner

Post by NottinghamWhite »

John who played at centre half for Sutton United in Leeds 6-0 win in the FA Cup in 1970 & was signed by Don Revie on back of his performance that day has sadly passed away. John only made 2 appearances for Leeds due to injury.

R.I.P. John

Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: John Faulkner

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Taken from the fantastic Oz Whites site. www.ozwhite.net.au

Faulkner: John Gilbert (John)

1970-1972 (Player Details)

Centre Half

Born: Orpington, Surrey: 10-03-1948

Debut v Burnley (h): 04-04-1970

6’0” 12st 3lb (1971)

He started his football career with Cray Wanderers as he studied to become a Quantity Surveyor. He played mainly as a forward and was a regular scorer in his two seasons with the club. He signed with Sutton United before the start of the 1969-70 season, but was converted into a centre-half. Although United thrashed Sutton United 6-0 in the F.A. Cup in January 1970, the Non-Leaguers’ Faulkner caught Don Revie’s eye. He did well against Mick Jones and within a few weeks he was at Elland Road for a £500 fee. While at Sutton United he had scored eight goals in forty-three games. At Elland Road, however, both his league games were undistinguished. He scored an own goal on his debut and broke his knee-cap against Manchester City a fortnight later. He also played twice for United against European opposition, both against Leirse SK in the 1971-72 UEFA Cup. In March 1972 he moved to Luton Town for £6,000 and scored six goals in two hundred and nine League appearances for the Hatters, playing a key role in the squad which won promotion to Division One in 1973-74. He played in the NASL from 1978 to 1981, with Memphis Rogues, where he scored five goals in seventy-four appearances, and California Surfs, where he scored once in thirteen games. In 1984 he became manager of Barton Rovers and later rejoined Luton Town as a coach. He then joined the Norwich City coaching staff, and was influential behind the scenes in two spells, resigning in 1996 and then being Assistant to Mike Walker and taking temporary charge of the team for a game when Walker moved to Everton in April 1978. He later was Coach with Danny Wilson at Sheffield Wednesday and scouted for them. Applying the lessons learned from football, Faulkner now lectures on high performance leadership at Cranfield University and has been involved with Glenn Hoddle's Football Academy in Spain. He is a visiting fellow in The Praxis Centre at Cranfield School of Management where he tutors on the High Performance Leadership and Managing People Effectively courses. As well as his qualification as a quantity surveyor, he also has his FA Full Coaching Badge, a Diploma in Sports Studies from the National Coaching Foundation, has completed the NCF Advanced Coaching Workshop and has certification for Pesso-Boyden System Psychomotor Therapy.

Appearances Goals
League 2 0
Europe 2 0
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Sad news, he was before my time but still a Revie Boy. RIP.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

He was a good guy, I mentioned it earlier elsewhere. RIP
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Sad news, RIP John
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

Yes sad news - can you imagine playing for Sutton v the league champions in the cup & the next thing you know you are signing for the best team in the country - wow!
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I may have posted this before but there was another connection between Leeds and that Sutton Utd team. Sutton's captain, Ted Powell, who also played in that game, played for several seasons with Yorkshire Amateur who play at Bracken Edge in Leeds. Ted move south and joined Sutton. He also played for the England Amateur side on about 50 occasions and became coach to the England Amateur team. Sadly passed away at a relatively young age. I know the above as I played with him at Yorkshire Amateur.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deebo
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Deebo »

Cracking book about that Sutton - Leeds FA Cup game, and all of the background of both clubs leading up to and after the game.

http://www.lufctalk.com/resources/leeds ... s-538.html

Might need a new edition of it, after we managed to bloody lose to them last year. Still, it represents how special an occasion it was for a non-league team to play the champions!