Discipline

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 728

Discipline

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I never bang on about the money in football, the wages, the transfer fees, agents' cuts, etc - it's pointless because we live in a capitalist world so there's nothing you can do about it.

However, the one area where I really think the stratospheric salaries have an effect is the disciplinary side of the game.

Back in the days of Cloughie and The Don, Sir Alf and all the managers of that era and before, players would actually feel the hit in the pay packet if they picked up a fine, either for five yellows or a red or for being late for training, etc.

I remember in Sunday league about fifteen years ago when one of our players was given a straight red. We'd not had a player dismissed for about five seasons and we were all staggered when the fine arrived with the letter : it was something like £85 !
Straight away, all of us chipped in a five and we made up the other ten or twenty quid from the club's kitty.
But the point was it hurt and it was a deterrent that actually worked.

Nowadays, UEFA fine a club £40k for racist chanting or a player receives a maximum of two weeks wages for any kind of disciplinary, while a manager might be fined ten grand for being sent to the stands.

.. er .. hello ?? :wtf:

This has no effect on any of those parties.

Never mind about VAR, maybe it's time we looked at docking clubs points for a certain number of cards across a season ?
Or giving a player an even longer mandatory ban than three matches for a straight red ? Why not four or five, so he really misses out and it affects his team ?

Right now it would hurt us a lot, but we need to do something.
I'd include diving too, with a video panel.
Ban 'em for three games and that would stop overnight.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: Discipline

Post by Costy »

I received a fine of £110 for being sent off in a five a side league! It was the only time in 25 plus years of playing football at various standards that I had received any kind of card, so I appealed for It to be reduced and instead they increased it by 20 quid. So I just didn't pay it.

Anyway, putting asides aside, I agree that fining is a pointless exercise in terms of trying to deter indiscipline, but it does swell the coffers of the F.A and premier league so I doubt they'll stop. Bans or point deductions would be far more effective. Or just do both.
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

Costy wrote:I received a fine of £110 for being sent off in a five a side league! It was the only time in 25 plus years of playing football at various standards that I had received any kind of card, so I appealed for It to be reduced and instead they increased it by 20 quid. So I just didn't pay it.

Anyway, putting asides aside, I agree that fining is a pointless exercise in terms of trying to deter indiscipline, but it does swell the coffers of the F.A and premier league so I doubt they'll stop. Bans or point deductions would be far more effective. Or just do both.
Even the junior clubs get fined if their lads get sent off - had to fork out for my lad once when he was about 13! Agree 100%.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

What Discipline? :crazy:

Shambles!
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

What does the lack of discipline tell us ? 3 sendings off in 3 games although I feel no way was Coopers a straight red but we can thank Morison for telling the ref it was. Phillips picking up his 10th yellow of the season & all of them for daft things like pushing a player. There appears to be a total lack of discipline throughout the squad, Pontus a prime example I thought at the start of the season he had changed but sadly not, against Ipswich he was almost asking to be sent off. TC has to work on this, the players need to work on this & there should be some system in place to fine a player who picks up a needless card. This is a very disappointing trait that's crept into the team & needs sorting.
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

There's a certain petulance throughout the team at the moment. Christiansen has to tackle this problem but he appears very capable of doing it but sadly I fear in practice he will do nothing about it. Saiz and O'Kanes reds were from players who showed a lack of maturity and I agree Coopers red was a yellow at best.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

rigger wrote:I never bang on about the money in football, the wages, the transfer fees, agents' cuts, etc - it's pointless because we live in a capitalist world so there's nothing you can do about it.

However, the one area where I really think the stratospheric salaries have an effect is the disciplinary side of the game.

Back in the days of Cloughie and The Don, Sir Alf and all the managers of that era and before, players would actually feel the hit in the pay packet if they picked up a fine, either for five yellows or a red or for being late for training, etc.

I remember in Sunday league about fifteen years ago when one of our players was given a straight red. We'd not had a player dismissed for about five seasons and we were all staggered when the fine arrived with the letter : it was something like £85 !
Straight away, all of us chipped in a five and we made up the other ten or twenty quid from the club's kitty.
But the point was it hurt and it was a deterrent that actually worked.

Nowadays, UEFA fine a club £40k for racist chanting or a player receives a maximum of two weeks wages for any kind of disciplinary, while a manager might be fined ten grand for being sent to the stands.

.. er .. hello ?? :wtf:

This has no effect on any of those parties.

Never mind about VAR, maybe it's time we looked at docking clubs points for a certain number of cards across a season ?
Or giving a player an even longer mandatory ban than three matches for a straight red ? Why not four or five, so he really misses out and it affects his team ?

Right now it would hurt us a lot, but we need to do something.
I'd include diving too, with a video panel.
Ban 'em for three games and that would stop overnight.
This is bang on Rigger. Obviously on the pitch, in the heat of the moment, it can be pretty hard to stay cool when somebody is wilfully winding you up, but it's pretty straightforward. Don't pretend to, or actually, headbutt somebody. Don't spit on another player. Don't make risky tackles in matches in which the ref is fully expecting to have to use his red card (agree that Cooper's wasn't a red, but to be honest he had such a dire 31 minutes I'm happy to have an excuse to be angry with him).

For me the discipline issue is worryingly symptomatic of the team having a real lack of respect for the manager. I don't think we're at "totally lost the dressing room" point yet, but it's clear that TC's a nice chap, and I can't help but feel a bit of public (and private) pressure on the squad to stop doing stupid things, both in footballing and discipline terms, would benefit the younger players. Definitely not advocating the Magath treatment, but I've definitely played under some managers who were just far too nice all the time, and frankly, we totally ignored them and did what we wanted.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Cheers, LR :)

I always hark back to Cloughie when it comes to discipline.
Generally his teams were trained by Peter Taylor or whoever else was his number two.
His team talks were short and sweet, with him saying something like "This is the ball, treat it like a friend now go out and play".
He ruled clubs with an iron fist (or his own !) when it came to discipline and you can see his reaction to fans on the pitch that time how he felt about respect in general.

I wonder if Sgt Wilko's free to come in and run a few sessions ??
MaudDib
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by MaudDib »

The quickest way to hurt the players and it will also send a message to the club is to stand up to them and stop going to the matches. If all the fans got together to send a message then they would soon listen. No money at the gates will soon send an important message to the overpaid uncaring team. (Not all but some are at least) They do not seem to care just like the Revie days dirty players are creeping in. I remember those days so well. Just a thought.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

MaudDib wrote:The quickest way to hurt the players and it will also send a message to the club is to stand up to them and stop going to the matches. If all the fans got together to send a message then they would soon listen. No money at the gates will soon send an important message to the overpaid uncaring team. (Not all but some are at least) They do not seem to care just like the Revie days dirty players are creeping in. I remember those days so well. Just a thought.
Blimey :shock: :crazy: