Jimmy Armfield

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: Jimmy Armfield

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

A wonderful obituary from Brian Glanville.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Thinking about Jimmys passing a lot today. Here's a brief obituary on the man.

Joined Blackpool September 1954 & made his debut for The Tangerines on 27th December 1954 away at Portsmouth. By the time Jimmys playing days were over he played 568 league games for Blackpool netting 6 goals.

Jimmy was voted Young Player of the Year in 1959. In 1966 he narrowly lost out to Bobby Charlton for The Footballer of the Year award. Jimmy final season at Bloomfield Road was 1970-71 having given 17 years loyal service & making a total of 627 games in all competitions.

Jimmy won 43 England caps between 1959-1966 & captained his country on 15 occasions. His debut was against Brazil in front of 120000 people. He played in the Chile World Cup in 1962 where he was voted the best right back in the competition.

His first managerial post was at Bolton where he remained for 4 years where they won the old 3rd division championship. This of course was followed by 4 years at Leeds where he replaced Brian Clough who held the Leeds job for 44 days. Players he brought to Leeds included Tony Currie, Brian Flynn, Ray Hankin & Arthur Graham. Under Armfield Leeds lost the 1975 European Cup final, FA Cup semi finalists in 1977 & League Cup semi finalists in 1978. Jimmy managerial reign came as he & his assistant Don Howe were sacked at the end of 1978 season. His replacement one Jock Stein who stayed at the club just 44 days before returning to Scotland to manage the national side.

Jimmy decided that Leeds would be his final managers role & decided on a life on the radio where he became a well respected match summariser on Radio 5. Awarded a OBE in in 2010, the same year the south stand at Bloomfield Road became known as The Jimmy Armfield South Stand. In May 2011 a life sized bronze statue was unveiled of his at Bloomfield Road.

I personally always respected Jimmy Armfield firstly as a player & then the manager of Leeds United & finally as an accompliced broadcaster. I met him briefly at the funeral of Jimmy Sirell at Notts County's Meadow Lane ground, he didn't disappoint he came over a proper gent.

R.I.P. Gentleman Jim.

Winner of the Europa League
BrighouseWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by BrighouseWhite »

Such sad news.

As has already been said, he was a true gentleman and got the club through a difficult time. I loved listening to him on Radio 5Live. His knowledge and insight of the game was unmatched and he had a way of getting things across without just stating the obvious or talking down to the listeners as though they are stupid, which I feel some ex-managers and players do.

RIP Jimmy
There's light at the end of the tunnel and the future's looking very bright indeed.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Nice post NW, I believe that was from the heart ;)
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Just read a nice quote from JA. Asked how he felt not playing in the 1966 finals just staying a squad player. His response was we won didn't we ? Speaks volumes for the man in my opinion.
Winner of the Europa League
90 miles a hour
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by 90 miles a hour »

RIP Jimmy one of the best
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Sad news indeed.

Will always have a important place in Leeds United history.

RIP Jimmy
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
blackpool white
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by blackpool white »

I live less than half a mile from his statue on bloomfield road.

As can be imagined it is adorned with many blackpool scarves .... i am pleased to report there is now a leeds scarve there too.

rip jimmy, i was one of those many smiling faces going down to elland road to see jim armfields aces.
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

RIP Jimmy, although I never met him, he was always held in high regard. I've never heard a bad word said about him. Listening to ex-players/pundits etc etc on Sky Sports News today and they all said the same. Speaks volumes about the man. Thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. MOT
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Very sad to hear, RIP Jimmy, a true gentleman!
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.