Paul Heckingbottom

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 728

Re: Paul Heckingbottom

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Another Northern Soul wrote:Throughout our history, our successful managers have accomplished something on individual basis and that is to bring out the very best of certain players. If Heckingbottom can get the best out of this squad then I think we've a strong chance of success. Probably too late this season but we shall see.
True dat :thumbup:

Who'd've thought Chris Whyte and Chris Fairclough would be a title-winning defensive partnership ?

Look at Leicester City winning the league.
Look at Wigan winning the cup.
Look at Porto winning the Champions League.
dangermouse
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by dangermouse »

rigger wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:Throughout our history, our successful managers have accomplished something on individual basis and that is to bring out the very best of certain players. If Heckingbottom can get the best out of this squad then I think we've a strong chance of success. Probably too late this season but we shall see.

Who'd've thought Chris Whyte and Chris Fairclough would be a title-winning defensive partnership ?

Yep, we can quote all these unlikely long shots in history that come along once in a blue moon and base our strategy on getting lucky too someday. That is why we have been out of the top league 15 years and haven't even finished in the top six in over a decade. But maybe next year is our year....again. I don't mean to sound so bloody miserable, but I am just tired of thinking we are always just one step away from randomly stumbling on the magic lotto numbers to promotion while every year lesser clubs with better squads and managers overtake us on the way there.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

dangermouse wrote:
rigger wrote:

Yep, we can quote all these unlikely long shots in history that come along once in a blue moon and base our strategy on getting lucky too someday. That is why we have been out of the top league 15 years and haven't even finished in the top six in over a decade. But maybe next year is our year....again. I don't mean to sound so bloody miserable, but I am just tired of thinking we are always just one step away from randomly stumbling on the magic lotto numbers to promotion while every year lesser clubs with better squads and managers overtake us on the way there.
No problem, you're being realistic based on negative experiences ;) I could be wrong but have any of these lesser clubs sprung out of nowhere or have they succeeded by way of very good planning and 'strategy'? I'd bet all of them were stable, that's for sure, while we are only now looking likely to be stabilised after nearly 20 years of near chaos.
rss1969
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by rss1969 »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
dangermouse wrote:
rigger wrote:

No problem, you're being realistic based on negative experiences ;) I could be wrong but have any of these lesser clubs sprung out of nowhere or have they succeeded by way of very good planning and 'strategy'? I'd bet all of them were stable, that's for sure, while we are only now looking likely to be stabilised after nearly 20 years of near chaos.
Crikey, I wonder what 'real chaos' looks like then ;)
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

dangermouse wrote:I don't mean to sound so bloody miserable, but I am just tired of thinking we are always just one step away from randomly stumbling on the magic lotto numbers to promotion while every year lesser clubs with better squads and managers overtake us on the way there.
Thing is, I do generally believe a lot of what happens in football is down to a bit of luck, some happenstance and things just going your way once in a while.

We might've won the play-offs .. two or three times is it now ?
We might've won the League Cup against Villa.
We might've reached the FA Cup final the year that Cov beat Spurs.

There's a fine line between success and failure in this game ..
dangermouse
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by dangermouse »

I agree a little bit of luck would be very useful. As for stability it is certainly required and we appear to have a much better chance of that with the current owner than the others over the last 10-15 years. He is still on a learning curve but I believe he is trying his best. We do need a serious injection of quality though in the summer. Four or five quality proven performers rather than another dozen gambles. It is still too early to pass judgement on the head coach, but he has the rest of the season to assess the squad, work on his tactics, blood a few younger players and hit the ground running in August. It pains me to think our season is effectively over with 3 months to go but here we are again in February talking about next season. Anyway, I hope you guys are right and it is a centenary year to remember!
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

dangermouse wrote:I agree a little bit of luck would be very useful. As for stability it is certainly required and we appear to have a much better chance of that with the current owner than the others over the last 10-15 years. He is still on a learning curve but I believe he is trying his best. We do need a serious injection of quality though in the summer. Four or five quality proven performers rather than another dozen gambles. It is still too early to pass judgement on the head coach, but he has the rest of the season to assess the squad, work on his tactics, blood a few younger players and hit the ground running in August. It pains me to think our season is effectively over with 3 months to go but here we are again in February talking about next season. Anyway, I hope you guys are right and it is a centenary year to remember!
I agree, particularly about being 4 or 5 quality players short as we have been for a number of years & that is also hoping we keep our better players.

I'll believe when we are challenging the top 2 not trying to squeeze into 6th (hope that doesnt sound too negative)
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Regardless of who is manager, we don't have a squad capable of getting promotion to the Premiership. As ilkley 62 says above, we need to spend some money.
I once played against Don Revie.