Paul Heckingbottom

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Paul Heckingbottom

Post by Selby White »

Lots been said about our new manager so what do we know about him ?

I'll be honest and say I know very little but like many others would not have been my first choice but will give him my full support.

Taking Positives he's an young English manager that knows the Championship and what is required.
Although some have criticised taking a Manager from a Club below us but after giving it much thought he seems to have done a decent job with limited resources, just been in the Championship for Barnsley is an achievement and he has a Play Off win on his short CV.

He also looks to be hands on and keen on discipline and fitness, this alone would improve our current squad.

Yes against that there are also negatives, can he cope with the expectation been the biggest one for me.

Time will tell but like with all managers we've got to hope he turns out to be a real diamond. :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: Paul Heckingbottom

Post by SG90 »

What I don't really understand is everyone saying he's experienced and knows the league. He's had a season and a half, TC had half a season. Is he really that much more experienced? And if he knows the league, shouldn't he have won a lot more games then. The positives to me seem that he can work well with other people's squads, but when he has to sign his own, he seems a bit inept. So perhaps it can work since he won't be signing players.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

SG90 wrote:What I don't really understand is everyone saying he's experienced and knows the league. He's had a season and a half, TC had half a season. Is he really that much more experienced? And if he knows the league, shouldn't he have won a lot more games then. The positives to me seem that he can work well with other people's squads, but when he has to sign his own, he seems a bit inept. So perhaps it can work since he won't be signing players.
Thats a fair point SG but suspect he had more involvement in looking for transfer targets than TC had at Leeds. Also spent his career playing in England so will know the game.
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

The question that's sticking in my mind is "I wonder what the Burnley fan's though when they first appointed Sean Dyche".
One Eyed Thompson
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by One Eyed Thompson »

SG90 wrote:What I don't really understand is everyone saying he's experienced and knows the league. He's had a season and a half, TC had half a season. Is he really that much more experienced? And if he knows the league, shouldn't he have won a lot more games then. The positives to me seem that he can work well with other people's squads, but when he has to sign his own, he seems a bit inept. So perhaps it can work since he won't be signing players.
I think we have to allow for the fact he was in charge of Barnsley though SG90. We've been poor but our players have a lot more talent than the ones he has had to work with so far. A craftsman is only as good as the tools he works with after all.

And goodness knows we have some tools :wink:
Deleted User 496

Post by Deleted User 496 »

I wish him well and who knows he could be the gem.

However, to take but one example (and I am not necessarily recommending him), McCarthy played all of his career in England. Has Ipswich in top half year after year on a very tight budget, has managed at international level (and din't play hoof ball with them) taking the smallish country to a world cup and has more knowledge of the Championship and getting out of it than say the Heck?
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Dubleeds wrote:I wish him well and who knows he could be the gem.

However, to take but one example (and I am not necessarily recommending him), McCarthy played all of his career in England. Has Ipswich in top half year after year on a very tight budget, has managed at international level (and din't play hoof ball with them) taking the smallish country to a world cup and has more knowledge of the Championship and getting out of it than say the Heck?
Think McCarthy has been one of my top choices for the last 15 managers, but thats maybe because i know more about him than Heck.
Deleted User 496

Selby White wrote:

Think McCarthy has been one of my top choices for the last 15 managers, but thats maybe because i know more about him than Heck.
Maybe next time............... :)
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Dubleeds wrote:
Selby White wrote:

Maybe next time............... :)
Lets hope he's too old by then and Heck is leading us out in the Champions League :D
Deleted User 496

Just thinking about the 1/2 bar we paid to have the Heck released, surely it wouldn't have cost a whole lot more re McCarthy and/or others. Is it the issue of recruiting somebody who must tow the line ?
Last edited by Deleted User 496 on 07 Feb 2018, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.