Favourite season

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
swindonwhite
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Re: Favourite season

Post by swindonwhite »

Bunch of old farts aren't we. I loved the David O'Leary era - 1998 when the likes of Harry Kewell - Bowyer & Wallace came through & we all started to dream.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

swindonwhite wrote:Bunch of old farts aren't we. I loved the David O'Leary era - 1998 when the likes of Harry Kewell - Bowyer & Wallace came through & we all started to dream.
The $64000 question though would you have enjoyed it as much because due to it the last however many years it's gone from a dream to a full bloodied nightmare.
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 496

Post by Deleted User 496 »

I envy all you guys who've been to so many matches down the years. Spare a thought for us 'fans' overseas :(

NW, did you keep a diary, as if not that's some memory?
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Wigwam wrote:
Going to Kenilworth Road. What a sh*thole.
You're not wrong there I couldn't believe the away supporters enterance & once inside walking over the little bridge past folks washing :D last time I went there back in 2006 & with half an hour to go we were 5-1 down & we started singing We All Love Leeds for the remainder of the game, if you weren't singing a nudge in your ribs would follow. Their keeper kept looking round & clapping us as did a lot of their fans. At the end of the game the keeper hands above his head just stood there applauding us. That's what makes us the best fans around.

NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Dubleeds wrote:I envy all you guys who've been to so many matches down the years. Spare a thought for us 'fans' overseas :(

NW, did you keep a diary, as if not that's some memory?
I did have a period when I had a young family, mortgage & all the trappings that go with been the breadwinner that I was reduced to a few games a season some seasons no games at all. The bulk of my posts are from memory, shows Alzheimer's hasn't set in yet :D plus I actually enjoy posting on threads like this, the old flashbacks & memories it's a great thing.
swindonwhite
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by swindonwhite »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
swindonwhite wrote:Bunch of old farts aren't we. I loved the David O'Leary era - 1998 when the likes of Harry Kewell - Bowyer & Wallace came through & we all started to dream.
The $64000 question though would you have enjoyed it as much because due to it the last however many years it's gone from a dream to a full bloodied nightmare.
My dear old Nan once said to me that things happen in life for a reason (utter crap obviously) but its about time our dreams came true.
If any football fans in the world deserve a bit of success then its ours. MOT :clap:
Wigwam
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by Wigwam »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Wigwam wrote:
Going to Kenilworth Road. What a sh*thole.
You're not wrong there I couldn't believe the away supporters enterance & once inside walking over the little bridge past folks washing :D last time I went there back in 2006 & with half an hour to go we were 5-1 down & we started singing We All Love Leeds for the remainder of the game, if you weren't singing a nudge in your ribs would follow. Their keeper kept looking round & clapping us as did a lot of their fans. At the end of the game the keeper hands above his head just stood there applauding us. That's what makes us the best fans around.

It was like you say walking along on that little bridge. I almost felt like we were going through someones front room. And it was a plastic pitch. And we lost.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Reminiscing out loud here but one season 2007 ? We played Brighton at the Withdean & the heavens opened & the Leeds fans were handed out these white ponchos & these ponchos had peaks on them. It looked like a mass rally for The Klu Klux Clan :lol: tried to find a photo but can't.

Edit to say one season there I saw a fantastic solo goal from Fabian Delph, I loved that lad :cry:
janecky
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by janecky »

As an overseas fan I haven't seen many Leeds matches live. But I have followed Leeds since early 70s - quite keenly from early 80s.
My favourite season must have been 91/92 and it's easy to guess why. Great team, great characters.
90 miles a hour
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by 90 miles a hour »

NottinghamWhite wrote:I know we've done this before but it's a while & we do have a lot of new posters. Any here's my favourite season.

The season 1969/1970 I was a young 17 year old and my love for Leeds United was really starting. Working at a local plastic factory in Pickering, North Yorkshire I earned enough to follow my team home and away that year. I became a fully paid up member of Scarborough Supporters Club which was under the stewardship of Maltese John.

It all started on a warm August afternoon and the opening game of the season at Elland Road, a small matter of the Charity Shield. Manchester City were our opponents, a crowd of over 39000 basked in the sunshine and a 2-1 victory gave us our first silverware. This was going to be our season we thought.

Our first 2 home games were against the North London rivals Spurs and Arsenal, 3 points were our reward. This was followed by my first ever visit to the city I now call home to play Nottingham Forest. A happy journey home ensued with a 4-1 victory under our belts.

In September I saw my first European opposition in the form of Lyn Oslo. A 10-0 win, yes ten, was a great start to my European journey. The away leg was a stroll in the park as Leeds won 6-0, I wasn’t in attendance, I hadn’t that much money to travel abroad. Our next game in the European Cup was against Ferencvaros of Hungary a 6-0 aggregate score was racked up. In the league it was business as usual with the highlight a 6-1 win at home to Nottingham Forest.

The FA Cup, in those days much more highly prized than it is today, started with me being lucky to get a ticket for our 4th round tie at Sutton United of the Isthmian League a proper David v Goliath game. No worries though as we cruised to victory 6-0. Interestingly enough John Faulkner the centre half for Sutton impressed Don Revie so much that a few weeks later John turned professional at Elland Road. 2 days later saw me watching Leeds grab a 2-2 draw at Old Trafford in front of over 60000, a massive crowd for he time.

Our European journey continued with a 2-0 aggregate score against Standard Liege of Belgium. Things on the pitch were really on the up and there was much talk of Leeds winning not just the double but the treble, heady days indeed.

I am now into March 1970 on my fantastic journey and it was FA Cup semi final day, the opponents were Manchester United the venue was Hillsborough a 0-0 draw put pressure on the club as our fixture back log was building up. The trouble before and after the game was on a scale I had never witnessed before. A lot of fans reckon this was the game that sparked the bitter rivalry that still stands today. The replay was at Villa Park and another 0-0 draw ensued, it was going to take something special to break this stalemate. A favourite quote from this game came from The Mail I think “ There was barely time to light a cigarette in the wind for fear of missing something dramatic” The 2nd replay was at Bolton’s Burnden Park I said it would take something special to break the dead lock and it was a Billy Bremner goal. Again as with the other 2 semis the games were marred by serious crowd trouble before and after the game.

All these games were taking their toll and a lot of players were out with niggling injuries and points were being dropped in the chase for the league title. against Southampton several players were “rested” resulting in a £5000 fine from the Football League, no mention that the squad players could have played for any other club in the division.

April 1st 1970 and the visitors were Celtic in the European Cup semi final, Celtic had won the EC 3 years earlier. Despite Celtic’s allocation been 6000 it was believed well over 10000 made the journey south. My memories of the game Jimmy Johnstone aka Jinky, ran Terry Cooper ragged. Celtic won the game 1-0. The 2nd leg due to the number of Celtic fans who wanted tickets was moved from Parkhead to Hampden Park. We sent a lot of tickets back unable to sell them after the 1st leg defeat. 5000 of us made the journey north and we were initially rewarded with a Bremner goal but lost the game 2-1, 3-1 on aggregate. The crowd that night was an incredible 136,505, still a record today though many people believe it was
Wow N/A
What a memory you must have been following me as I did a lot of that season remember hampden park went with my grandfather he had brothers that lived in Glasgow and were rangers fans but loved Leeds because of all the Scottish players can still remember all packed in the ground and king billy scoring that GOAL it's seems like yesterday
(Well reading you season report brings it all back) thank you
But my best season was 1973/74 as I never missed a game home or away which was regarded by all your mate's as a true fan :D
We were champion that season as well fantastic times :clap: