Favourite season

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Favourite season

Post by NottinghamWhite »

SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:
Celtic had Jimmy Johnstone and Rangers had Willie Henderson on the right and Willie Johnston on the left in the 60s & 70s when wingers were ten a penny and Scotland were blessed with 2 or 3 if you want to count Peter Lorimer as a right winger of the best wingers of those times.

Unfortunately kids stopped playing football in the street and thats why we have lost the art of wing play.

I grew up a mile and half from Parkhead as we could see the floodlights from Springboig just to the east of Parkhead and that game is why I think I started supporting Leeds United.

Never really like the old firm and my 1st game was at Broomfield in Airdrie where my mums parents stayed and we visited them every weekend as Dad was working in the centre of Glasgow on saturdays.

In 1973 we moved to Forfar and so commenced 40 years of watching the Loons then in 2013 I had the chance to finally visit ER and have never looked back as this is my 5th season with a season ticket and have even moved down to Heckmondwike to work.
Good post that :thumbup: I remember watching Gentleman Jim Baxter playing for Forest at Leeds, it was a night game & I was on Lowfields Road & there was a Leeds fan giving Jim so much abuse. Jim was ball juggling during the warm up & the fan kept his vitriol going. As the ball came down Jim just kicked the ball straight into the face of the abusive knocking him out. To be fair all the Leeds fans who witnessed the incident just stood there laughing. Jim shrugged his shoulders & winked then walked away.

The Rangers players I've just googled played at ER in the quarter finals ICFC but can't remember them sadly.
Winner of the Europa League
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

1989/90 season was and is still the best season for me and it was the last one for me before leaving the UK and moving to Australia

moments to remember (or forget)
- getting thumped at Newcastle in the first game of the season 5-2
- first home game vs Middlesborough and winning the game in the last minute thanks to an own goal
- Vinnie's first goal against Ipswich (includes his celebration)
- Strachan nets a hat-trick against Swindon at home, Hendrie is stretched off
- Beat West Ham away and the London press gives us hell, just like the old days then!
- Beating Bradford away, always one of my favourite results
- Losing at Leicester 4-3
- Ian Baird's last Leeds goal as we beat Newcastle 1-0 at Elland Road
- Mel Sterland's screamer against Sheffield United
- Lee Chapman signs and scores on his debut in a win at Blackburn
- my first away game at Swindon, we lost 3-2
- best game of the season as we beat Hull City 4-3, great goals, penalties and a last minute winning goal from Strachan
- 2-0 down at Oxford at half time and we storm back to win 4-2!
- Bradford get a dodgy arse penalty to draw the game at Elland Road 1-1, Garry Speed's first goal in Leeds colours
- Battle of the top 2 and we cream Sheffield United at Elland Road 4-0
- Lose our only home game of the season to Barnsley 2-1
- we beat Leicester 2-1 at home thanks to Gordon Strachan scoring the winner in the 85th minute, Vinnie tells us we are promoted but we aren't yet
- Bournemouth where we win 1-0 and take the title and i was there, it was my last official Leeds game until 2013.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Mr Russel, I also remember that season being so close with Sheff Utd and they not able to pip us at most stages, that their manager Dave Basset commented that we were even ahead of them alphabetically. Think we were level even on goal difference at one stage? :D
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I'm now sat here coffee in hand reminiscing about ' the good old days ' & another game that springs to mind was 19-02-1972 Leeds United 5 Scum 1 another game I was lucky to attend. The 3 semi final games in the FA Cup from the 1969-70 were the point where any previous rivalry went up several more notches between the 2 sets of fans. I can remember before the game several scuffles & fights breaking out neither side claiming victory. To beat a team so convincingly was just fantastic especially when that team had the likes of Charlton, Best & Morgan playing for them. So it was 2nd v 5th in the table in front of a crowd of 45000+ the score was 0-0 at halftime but a couple of minutes after the 2nd half kicked off Mick Jones made it 1-0 & in the ensuing half an hour Leeds were unplayable. Eric Todd of The Guardian reported on the game under the headline " The Leeds locusts eat their fill " Brilliant memories from a brilliant era. On On On....
Winner of the Europa League