Stat Attack - Championship Goalkeepers

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Stat Attack - Championship Goalkeepers

Post by Selby White »

Always been interested in statistics so thought occasionally it maybe an idea to do a post as a starting point for a debate.

Strictly facts but of course they don't tell the full story as they can be distorted by a number of factors (quality of team mates, oppsition, referees decisions, etc).

Given the current "Wiedwald v Lonergen" chat thought it would be good to start with goalkeepers that have played for us since promotion from the Championship (league games only)

So here are the results :-

McCarthy (2011/12) - Games 6 Conceded 4 Average 0.67
Taylor (2014/15) - Games 3 Conceded 3 Average 1
Peacock/F (2017/18) - Gam 1 Con 1 Ave 1
Green (2016/17) - Gam 46 Con 47 Ave 1.02
Wiedwald (2017/18) - Gam 25 Con 28 Ave 1.12
Silvestri (2015/16) - Gam 45 Con 57 Ave 1.27
Kenny (2013/14) - Gam 30 Con 39 Ave 1.3
Silvestri (2014/15) - Gam 43 Con 58 Ave 1.35
Schmeical (2010/11) - Gam 37 Con 51 Ave 1.38
Kenny (2012/13) - Gam 46 Con 66 Ave 1.43
Lonergen (2011/12) - Gam 35 Con 54 Ave 1.54
Brown (2010/11) - Gam 3 Con 5 Ave 1.67
Butland (2013/14) - Gam 16 Con 28 Ave 1.75
Lonergen (2017/18) - Gam 7 Con 13 Ave 1.86
Rachubka (2011/12) - Gam 5 Con 10 Ave 2
Higgs (2010/11) - Gam 6 Con 14 Ave 2.33
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Re: Stat Attack - Championship Goalkeepers

Post by Deleted User 728 »

You gave up trying to spell "conceded" after two attempts and just went for the abbreviation instead ?? ;)
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote:You gave up trying to spell "conceded" after two attempts and just went for the abbreviation instead ?? ;)
Oops :shh: :oops:

Now corrected, just testing honest :lol:
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I've gone on record already saying I like Wiedwald and I stick by that.
I think he's a very good shot-stopper but has yet to adapt to the rigours of the English game.

In the last match thread I brought up De Gea's first season at Man U where he was flapping at crosses and not really commanding his area.
These two "faults" are down to a change in the style of football he's facing and an initial poor grasp of the language leading to communication problems. Both can be eradicated with time, tuition and training and he's now one of the best in the world. Exactly the same thing happened with Loris at Spurs and I would put those two up there with Neuer and (slightly fading now) Buffon.

I honestly think Silvestri could've come good with time too, but the problem is that fans want instant, Premier-league quality and don't allow players to make mistakes unless they're one of our own youth academy products.
It's either "Well, they're number 2s - get rid !" or "Cor ! We've got a player here !!" with nothing in between.

Lonergan is okay but really no more than a back-up.
I don't trust any keeper who's happy to sit on the bench for his entire career.
Stuart Taylor was another one like him.
Gimme a hungry U21s keeper over either of them any day ..

Please, give Wiedwald a chance. You don't play 60-odd games in the Bundesliga if you're crap ..
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

rigger wrote:I've gone on record already saying I like Wiedwald and I stick by that.
I think he's a very good shot-stopper but has yet to adapt to the rigours of the English game.

In the last match thread I brought up De Gea's first season at Man U where he was flapping at crosses and not really commanding his area.
These two "faults" are down to a change in the style of football he's facing and an initial poor grasp of the language leading to communication problems. Both can be eradicated with time, tuition and training and he's now one of the best in the world. Exactly the same thing happened with Loris at Spurs and I would put those two up there with Neuer and (slightly fading now) Buffon.

I honestly think Silvestri could've come good with time too, but the problem is that fans want instant, Premier-league quality and don't allow players to make mistakes unless they're one of our own youth academy products.
It's either "Well, they're number 2s - get rid !" or "Cor ! We've got a player here !!" with nothing in between.

Please, give Wiedwald a chance. You don't play 60-odd games in the Bundesliga if you're crap ..
Agree with all of this, except for the assessment of Silvestri. I really wanted him to succeed, but being vaguely cat-like wasn't enough to cover what looked to me like a fundamental fear of crowded boxes and flying feet.

I also often whinge at how pundits like to use the phrase 'good shot-stopper' to cover up for a keeper's other deficiencies. Positioning and reading the flight of the ball/passage of play, physical strength/lack of fear, distribution (throwing and kicking), command of the area, general technique on the ball etc. are all essential for the all-round keeper, and having great reactions for the occasional worldie-for-the-cameras won't gain as many points over the course of a season as reliably picking crosses out of the air time and time again, especially when you're playing Millwall or Cardiff on a freezing Tuesday and they keep whipping it into the big fella in the box.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Looking at Stats for a team its my belief if you want to win titles you need a team that concedes less than a goal per game while at the same time averages more than two at the other end.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Looking at those BPF stats reminds me what a vile creature Bellusci was, it was him who gave away a penalty in that game to spoil his debut clean sheet :evil: :evil: :evil:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Leonickroberts wrote:

I also often whinge at how pundits like to use the phrase 'good shot-stopper' to cover up for a keeper's other deficiencies.
Agree with its over use in many cases although in some it can mean exceptional reflexes.
TezzaWazzaBazza
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by TezzaWazzaBazza »

rigger wrote:I've gone on record already saying I like Wiedwald and I stick by that.

Wiedwald may well come good. I think the problem this season is that we have a stated aim of a play off place, but we're acting like a club developing for next season.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

TezzaWazzaBazza wrote:

Wiedwald may well come good. I think the problem this season is that we have a stated aim of a play off place, but we're acting like a club developing for next season.
I mentioned elsewhere that Felix needs to find form before he can lose it. Looking back I can say thats just the case, he does some good things then has a relapse which unfortunately leads to a goal. His distribution is still hit and miss, one minute he throws or kicks out a great pass then he puts 3 kicks straight out of play. At the moment I must admit I panic with crosses into out box. Sort that problem and steady the distribution and he could be ok.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders