Whelan has a go at Orta

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Whelan has a go at Orta

Post by NottinghamWhite »

"Yeah, he's been pretty rubbish. I don't know what he's been doing," he told BBC Radio Leeds when asked about the recruitment. "I don't know why you're buying players to come in and fit into the [under] 23s - they're not going to be good enough, if they were they would be going straight into the first-team now. Look, 21, 22-year-olds should be pushing [for the first-team], knocking on the door at 18, 19, so let's not use young and 21 and 22 as an excuse. It ain't, because there's been players playing at Premier League and Championship level at 16, 17 and 18."
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Whelan has a go at Orta

I like Whelans passion but he's suddenly becoming the unofficial mouth piece of Leeds United. Getting a bit big for his boots in my humble opinion

GET IN...
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Whelan is bang on in my view about Orta.

These lads that he has signed that are aged 20,21 and 22 should be 1st team squad members if they were/are any good.

Orta should be looking at 16-17 year olds for the under 18s as they are the generation where we seem to be lacking.

Although saying that the under 18s are top of their league.

Maybe PH will give some of the under 23's a chance in the remaining 13 games as they need to show if the can play at the championship level.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Whatever happened to the Q&A session regarding transfer strategy that AR, Kinnear and Orta were due to hold in February ?.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Karolkarol
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Karolkarol »

I kind of get what Orta was doing, the U23's were light on players and as youth players on the continent it's probably easier to integrate these guys into a new country and style of football through the U23 setup so for that I'll give him the benefit of the doubt BUT if they're not there or thereabouts the first team by the end of this season or start of next then serious questions will need to be asked.

That said, the likes of Halme for example, as a first team player for his Finnish club (50 odd games?) should IMHO be with our first team squad or loaned out, I don't see the value of him playing age grade football.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Karolkarol wrote:I kind of get what Orta was doing, the U23's were light on players and as youth players on the continent it's probably easier to integrate these guys into a new country and style of football through the U23 setup so for that I'll give him the benefit of the doubt BUT if they're not there or thereabouts the first team by the end of this season or start of next then serious questions will need to be asked.

That said, the likes of Halme for example, as a first team player for his Finnish club (50 odd games?) should IMHO be with our first team squad or loaned out, I don't see the value of him playing age grade football.
Halme hasnt even played for the under 23s yet according to the Bristol City programme, so is he training with the 1st team squad or is he injured?
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Sorry I'm not disagreeing with Whelan just think he's getting above himself stating what us the fans already know. I'm not sure what all these recruits have cost or what money they are on but I'd rather we had spent that money on the 1st team. It'll be intresting how many, if any make the grade.
saintjimmy
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by saintjimmy »

Got a lot of time for him and he does tend to tell it like it is even if folk don’t like it it’s a fair comment that players of that age should be in and around the first team but a fair few have come from over seas so maybe the need time to adjust?, some of the British lads seem to be doing ok ( the lad from York and the one from Charlton ) I think this summer is a very big one for Victor and the club if we can see what we need then surely the recruiting side can too , if not then we’re in trouble.

MOT
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Go on Noel, once a fan always a fan. I'm glad he's raised the issue, it may get back to the club. Big summer for Orta. I agree with what a fan has posted on the YEP site. No point going around in circles with managers if the players being bought in just aren't good enough. AR talked up the playoffs this season, looking very unlikely, I wonder what his aim will be next season?

Because we have been told there's not mega money available, once Pontus and Siaz have been sold in the summer, I think we will see a more targeted approach to recruitment rather than the scattergun approach we have seen at the start of this season.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:
Because we have been told there's not mega money available, once Pontus and Saiz have been sold in the summer, I think we will see a more targeted approach to recruitment rather than the scattergun approach we have seen at the start of this season.
Sadly, I think you may be right about these two, particularly Jansson if he has a good World Cup (ie he plays at least two games and doesn't get sent off !).

Saiz will probably move to a mid-tier La Liga team back home having put himself in the shop window.