HECK BASHING - a mod-free zone - say what you like ..

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: Heckingbottom Is he the Man??

Post by SG90 »

We need a couple of older heads in the squad - Charlie Adam, Gareth Barry and Michael Dawson are all out of contract this summer. I know their wages would be above £15k, but it would be worth it. That's what we're desperately missing atm.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

From the presser today....

Heckingbottom says he’ll have a hands on roll in recruitment this summer.
Heckingbottom says the speculation about his job was a surprise to everyone, says there’s no reason to think he will not be here next season.
On criticism of Orta, Heckingbottom says the transfer set up is healthy, and we’ll be judged on what happens in the summer.
Heckingbottom says this 12 game spell has been horrific and horrible.

The guy has lost the plot.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
SG90

Post by SG90 »

Surely we can't be seriously thinking of keeping him? :crazy:
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

Barlow Boy wrote:From the presser today....

Heckingbottom says he’ll have a hands on roll in recruitment this summer.
Heckingbottom says the speculation about his job was a surprise to everyone, says there’s no reason to think he will not be here next season.
On criticism of Orta, Heckingbottom says the transfer set up is healthy, and we’ll be judged on what happens in the summer.
Heckingbottom says this 12 game spell has been horrific and horrible.

The guy has lost the plot.
As if. He's talking the big talk, but no manager in the world could go on this run of dire form and not be looking over their shoulder. Like a lot of us on here, I'm a huge advocate of the argument that stability breeds success (and could well have done if TC had been given more time), but Heckingbottom really needs to go when Orta does.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

In fairness to Heckingbottom, he did say a couple of things I agree with (although it’s not rocket science)..

He said something along the lines of trimming the squad down, keeping the quality players and getting quality players in.
BPF has taken his chance and grabbed it.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
SG90

Post by SG90 »

What's his idea of a "quality player" though? This is a guy who bought Alex Mowatt.
birkybullufc
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by birkybullufc »

I watched to the press conference on periscope tv. Underwhelming and uninspiring. Could get a trouncing on Friday.
Follow the cause not the leaders.
johnnysmiles
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by johnnysmiles »

I'm really torn.....

On the one hand, we can't KEEP chopping and changing.... only Garry Monk has had a full season in charge since who knows when....

And look at NW at Cardiff... AND Sol Bamba! And the amount of ex players who score against us... something is seriously wrong at our great club where good managers and good players fail when they're with us... maybe we, as fans need to be more patient?

And although I haven't seen every minute of every game, it seems to me that we'd have loads more points with a decent striker.... if a Chris Woods / Gary Madine / Jordan Hugill / Dwight Gayle etc. had all the chances that Ekuban has had, we'b be in a far better position.

If those cahnces were converted into goals, there's no doubt in my mind that the defence would play better... last season, we weren't that good, but when we got our noses in front, we defended out of our skins and got good results. I wonder if we'd have kept so many clean sheets last season without Chris Woods (if you get what I mean).

We seem to have enough creativity with Hernandez and Saiz....

We need a great goalkeeper.... BFP has done well, but for me he's a great backup for the moment... we need an experienced keeper.

Apart from Forshaw, we need a whole new "spine".... goalkeeper / centre back / centre forward..... and I think PH is right.... trim the squad in terms of quantity and add quality...

Let's not forget we have Tyler Roberts to come ... I'm sure he would have done better that Ekuban (who is a good squad player imho)

As for Pontus.... I say cash in.... the body language of the other players as he was 'helped off the pitch' was telling for me.... when the going gets tough, he looks to get going.... he's definitely in Sweden World Cup mode for me.... it's also telling that he's never captained Leeds despite being a fan favourite.... the players must know some things we don't...

So all in all I think we should give PH a summer in the transfer market alongside a pre-season to put his stamp on the club... and a part of me thinks we should give him a full season next year....

BUT, ON THE OTHER HAND...

When you look at the GREAT managers, they can motivate and get results out of a sack of potatoes.... think Alex Ferguson at East Stirling / St. Mirren / Aberdeen... or Paul Lambert at Colchester or David Wagner at Huddersfield or Jose Mourinho at Porto or Sean Dyche at Burnley ,,,, managers who punch above their weight...

The least I was hoping for from PH was middling results until the summer, followed by some clever recruitment, followed by a storming 2018-2019...

So as I said at the start... I'm torn...
richdon01
Giddy Kipper

Post by richdon01 »

In response to johnnysmiles:

We have to keep chopping and changing until we get the right guy, unfortunately our lack of strategy means we aren't picking the right one, hopefully eventually we will and the sooner we pot PH the better. This appointment is a Radzianni blunder.

We have had both Warnock and Bamba, most disliked NW before he arrived due to his days at Sheff Utd, Bamba would more likely kick it with the wrong foot when I saw him play but NW cherrypicked him, like most of our best get. Billy from Sheff Utd rubbed our noses in it earlier this year as well, another ex player looking to get one up on us. You are right something is seriously wrong - Jermaine Beckford was playing for Bury last time I checked - and we don't have an out n out striker !!

On the Chris Wood scenario, yep he was ok, scored some critical goals for Burnley in his fist year, but......... when I don't watch Leeds I read the live txt on BBC website and how many times does it say "header from 6yds from the centre of the goal by Chris Wood - misses to the left etc". We have missed him but he should have had us in the play offs last year.

Peacock Farrell is the future locked on Leeds Nr:1, use the same principle as above on past players, where did David Seaman start his career, and the likes of Dennis Irwin - long term lack of strategy once again. Check out players of that era who went through Leeds and you'll be gobsmacked at how many and how long they gave their clubs in the top division. Now is the time we invest in Farrell and make sure we have a nr2. People like Rob Green keep him out of the squad.

Pontus - the guy doesn't miss anything, he's been a total rock and hes bound to be down. We have deffo missed Kyle Bartley, a consequence of not buying quality when we only had him on loan.

We haven't had anyone who has punched above their weight, Monk was expected to deliver, PH wont punch above, he would have done it to Barnsley if he was capable. Time to get rid, may as well do it now, theres nothing to play for above or below us (just !) in terms of promo or relegation.

..........................I'm NOT Torn
Daz5
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Daz5 »

He has got to go , come on theres chaps on this forum who would have a better win ratio