Matt Le Tissier and the art of taking penalties

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Matt Le Tissier and the art of taking penalties

Post by Selby White »

I'd a very good penalty record, when I was young (long time ago) I missed one in an important shoot out, was gutted but practised and became regular taker.

Had two methods I used one where I ran up looking to the goalies left but placing it in the other bottom corner, mastered it at wrong footed many keepers. My other went into the other corner struck hard, just kept it simple, just went with my instincts depending on keepers position and stance.

Practice and been clear in your head what you are going to do helps, never change mind in run up or over complicate.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

In relation to the original post, that story just about sums up Roofe.

Thinks he’s better than he actually is, for me.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Clarke One Nil
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Clarke One Nil »

Johnny Giles had this theory when he was taking penalties for Leeds:

1. He would always aim for a corner. That way, he started off with a 50% chance of scoring, if the keeper went the wrong way. If the keeper went the right way, he would still score if he hit it accurately and hard enough.

2. He would decide during the week before each game where he would aim any penalty he got in that particular game, and he wouldn’t change his mind regardless of what happened in the game or who the keeper was.

3. If Leeds were playing at home, he would go in in the morning and practice that particular penalty kick for half an hour on the pitch, with Leeds reserve keeper in goal, before the crowd arrived.

4. If a penalty arose during the game, he would never look at the keeper, and never think about what the keeper was thinking. He would just focus on what he was going to do, based on what he had decided and practiced before the game.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Clarke One Nil wrote:Johnny Giles had this theory when he was taking penalties for Leeds:

1. He would always aim for a corner. That way, he started off with a 50% chance of scoring, if the keeper went the wrong way. If the keeper went the right way, he would still score if he hit it accurately and hard enough.

2. He would decide during the week before each game where he would aim any penalty he got in that particular game, and he wouldn’t change his mind regardless of what happened in the game or who the keeper was.

3. If Leeds were playing at home, he would go in in the morning and practice that particular penalty kick for half an hour on the pitch, with Leeds reserve keeper in goal, before the crowd arrived.

4. If a penalty arose during the game, he would never look at the keeper, and never think about what the keeper was thinking. He would just focus on what he was going to do, based on what he had decided and practiced before the game.
How was his record ?
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote:
Clarke One Nil wrote:Johnny Giles had this theory when he was taking penalties for Leeds:

How was his record ?
44 out of his career total of 115 goals were penalties.
Not sure how many he missed.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Wow !
Not many, I should imagine.
Those are some figures for a midfielder :)