The positives

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 728

The positives

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I'm tired of the in-fighting, bitching and endless back-and-forth between forum members about the state of our club, the manager, the owner, Orta, the players, etc ..

How about we list some positives about Leeds United Football Club and being a Leeds fan, because we do all at least have that in common.

One each.
I'll start.

1. The fact everyone around the world knows who we are.

In 2009, I went to a match in Soweto between my South African team, Orlando Pirates, and the reigning champions, Supersport United.
It was a glorious day, there were well over 20,000 in the ground, it cost £1.60 to get in and the sweet smell of marijuana was everywhere.
The football was really good, very technical, though a little slower than our league and the pre-match entertainment was brilliant fun and totally organic : an African house DJ (they call it "Doof doof" because of the sound the drums make) was playing a set pitch-side and fans were dancing everywhere, but particularly right in front of him. They'd get up one at a time and show off their moves as well as they're outlandish outfits in the colours of their team.
It was a party atmosphere from start to finish, but do you know what the best part was ??
The fact that over a dozen people came up to me, shook my hand and had a chat about Lucas Radebe, not just a Leeds legend but arguably RSA's greatest ever player and an absolute colossus for arch-rivals Kaiser Chiefs from across the city.

I was so proud that day my heart was bursting with joy :D
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: The positives

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Well said, Rigger. I'm being honest here, I genuinely feel there are too many positives about the club for me to list here and that will never leave me. Perhaps that's because I felt it couldn't get any worse off the pitch but anyway, too much negative, spiteful crap is said about our club between us all and I've taken a bit of a sabbatical from here because of it. That's not a dig at anyone in particular but when I start writing things in response to people that I wouldn't dream of saying to anyone in person then I know it's time to back away.

I was at ER today and had to walk by the pitch to get into the Kop. On the pitch, accompanying a wee bairn with a football, presumably a grandson or even great grandson or that generation, was Eddie Gray, just having fun on a pleasant stroll on our pitch. He smiled, said hello, went on his way. THAT's Leeds United for me :D
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Leeds United is something that's been part of my life since very early childhood due to parents been fans.

What my team have given me is many fantastic memories that will stay with me forever (and that's not only during the good times). Other things have taken priority at different stages of life would be telling porkies if didn't say that but Leeds United have always been up there.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 496

Post by Deleted User 496 »

Apart from family, Leeds comes next for me, a constant in my life, something I like being so attached to (more so than the wife :wtf: ).

Anyhow, yes wonderful memories especially from the 70s.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

As an overseas fan with no blood connection to the club (supporter because my Dad and Grandad were), I have to say the biggest positive for me is the welcome we receive whenever we visit. I can't vouch for any other club, but we have always been treated like born and bred Leeds lads. Makes the entire visit to Leeds brilliant, not just the few hours at ER surrounding the match. Used to regularly stay in The Griffin Hotel and were always welcomed like departed children at a homecoming...
MOT in more ways than many can imagine.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
birkybullufc
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by birkybullufc »

I love the way being a Leeds fan gets into your dna. My son is 9 now and he's been going to games since he was 2. When dropping him off at school a few weeks ago, after commenting on a few of the other kids in Man utd and Chelsea tops and flirting himself with saying he supports other big teams in the past. He professed his belief that it isn't about the winning and success or glory. It's just who you are. We're all Leeds aren't we. :-)
Follow the cause not the leaders.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

The supporters of this great club.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

BB, you said in 6 words exactly what I tried with nearly 100... :thumbup:
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
zigzag
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by zigzag »

The fact that you meet fellow Leeds fans everywhere

Ive lost track of the number of places in the UK and elsewhere where Ive struck up a conversation with or given the salute to a fellow fan either because they or I or my son are wearing something Leeds related
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

kk_white wrote:BB, you said in 6 words exactly what I tried with nearly 100... :thumbup:
Don't worry, mate : it's normally the other way around ;)

I'm sure normal service will be resumed soon :D