Sacking managers is pointless

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Jazz My Funk
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Sacking managers is pointless

Post by Jazz My Funk »

Deleted User 728

Re: Sacking managers is pointless

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Ooh, I love a good stats-based article ;)
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Not if the team is pointless.
I once played against Don Revie.
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by SG90 »

The only teams who've improved since changing managers are Leicester and Swansea, maybe Brum and Reading too but too early to say so far. Everyone else has either stayed the same or gone backwards.
PGS
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by PGS »

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, seeing what he has been replaced with, sacking TC hasnt done us any good.
I dont Hecky will survive the summer as our HC. He hasnt shown anything that shows he is the right man. Quite annoying how the management Orta, Bravo, Kinnear, Radz, has handled this. Thrown away alot of time and money, making us go backwards. It will take alot of hard work through the summer to get us a competitive squad and headcoach for next season.
JimmieLi
Giddy Kipper

Post by JimmieLi »

PGS wrote: 08 Apr 2018, 14:02 Hindsight is a wonderful thing, seeing what Leanbean has been replaced with, sacking TC hasnt done us any good.
I dont Hecky will survive the summer as our HC. He hasnt shown anything that shows he is the right man. Quite annoying how the management Orta, Bravo, Kinnear, Radz, has handled this. Thrown away alot of time and money, making us go backwards. It will take alot of hard work through the summer to get us a competitive squad and headcoach for next season.
I guess you need to try different people out to have a chance of striking gold at some point. But I can certainly see the other point as well. I feel like there's no right answer when it comes to this.
Last edited by JimmieLi on 21 Aug 2022, 13:16, edited 2 times in total.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

I really do find myself agreeing with that article. For me the biggest factor in success is quality of squad vs opposing squads but not far behind is luck/circumstance. Look at the way refereeing decisions went against Manchester City in both legs of the tie versus Liverpool. The actual outcome is not really reflective of what it should have been. Germany demolished England 4-1 in World cup 2010 but actually Lampard scored and it should have been 2-2 at half time. Who knows what would have happened then? But Germany were lucky. There have been thousands of games like that over history. Guardiola won't be sacked but managers often are and often things happen that they just can't control.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Costy wrote:Germany demolished England 4-1 in World cup 2010 but actually Lampard scored and it should have been 2-2 at half time. Who knows what would have happened then?
Germany would've stepped up a gear or two and beaten us just as soundly. We were awful in that game and throughout the tournament.
I remember saying to my mate "Let's skip Bloemfontein and go to the quarter-final instead - we'll knock Germany U21s out no worries" and we laughed and agreed to leave it till the team would've been back in Joburg, having been to the USA and Slovenia matches.

My reasoning ?
Well, I thought we were going to do an Italy and get better as we went deeper into it ... how wrong was I ? :wtf:
Deleted User 2066

Post by Deleted User 2066 »

You have to look at what the team is doing and how the manager performs with the resources available.
The games we have played under PH have been well below the standards that are acceptable. His record is now worse that the former manager and no real hope of things changing for the better. So sacking managers is pointless ...not really...especially when you know a group of players can perform so much better.. Maybe the choices of those who made the appointments in first place should be questioned and brought to account. This won't happen of course.
phil62
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by phil62 »

One thing's for sure: we will be pointless if we don't change it before next season! :D
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”