You are buying the club from AR in the summer ...

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: You are buying the club from AR in the summer ...

Post by Barlow Boy »

Funnily enough, this was something me and a lad in the village were on about the other day.

Firstly, I’d dispense with the DOF position, and bring in a proven manager with full license to purchase his own players. Give this manager a healthy salary, a good budget and a large promised bonus should he take us up.

There are circa 7 players I wouldn’t argue being in the starting line up for the first game next season. BPF, Ayling, Jansson, Forshaw, Hernandez, Saiz and Alioski. In my mind, we’d need at least 6/7 what I would call straight into the first team players, to produce a healthy squad and account for injuries and suspensions.

Finally, I’d do what has already been suggested and reduce ticket prices, making sure Season Ticket holders still get the best deal. I’m no accountant, but there was a line on the official website, which said something along the lines of the increase in turnover was partly due to the increase in attendances which says everything really. Get it right on the pitch and everything else takes care of itself.

Even if I did all the above, from the budget mentioned above, I’d still have a few quid left to do a bit of housekeeping around the stadium, s
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Makes lots of sense what everyone is saying and a decent read to be fair.

Only problem I really see is how to get rid of players, not sure who is on long term contracts but I think finding someone to take those we don't want would be difficult.

If the initial budget is a "one off" and not a one off I would personally look at improvements and increased capacity of the stadium. The rest towards player budget.

Definitely cheaper for kids, get them now and you have fans for life.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by SG90 »

Selby White wrote:Only problem I really see is how to get rid of players, not sure who is on long term contracts but I think finding someone to take those we don't want would be difficult.
Yes that's the worrying thing. Last year's spending was through the selling of Wood and Taylor and ticket expenditure. The only players I could see going for big money are Jansson, Saiz or Vieira and if we sell one of them, we'd have to replace them and improve our squad as well.

So it's either we sell a key player, Radz puts his hand into his pocket and spends some of his money or we rely on loans and what we have. Is he prepared to make a big loss to fund a push like other owners in this league do?
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I'm fairly certain Saiz has already gone (c. £5m + add-ons)

I'm 50/50 over Jansson, depending on if he plays for Sweden in the World Cup (£8m + add-ons, possibly more)

I don't think Vieira will go yet. Maybe next summer if we're still in the same position. Maybe if he talks to Lewis Cook !

As for the rest that Si thought might be moved on :

FREEBIES :
Lonergan and Antonsson

FEE OF £200k-£1m :
Wiedwald, Berardi, O'Kane, Murphy

FEE OF £1m+ :
Cooper, Sacko, Dallas
SG90

Post by SG90 »

rigger wrote:I'm 50/50 over Jansson, depending on if he plays for Sweden in the World Cup (£8m + add-ons, possibly more)
That would be a very poor deal on our part, considering he just signed a new 5 year deal. I'd be looking at at least £15m, but I wouldn't sell because we wouldn't replace him well.
Deleted User 728

DCs are worth less than strikers.

I'd take ten mil.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

Can't believe some people are saying they'd actively get rid of Saiz. Best player we've had for ages. Just needs more quality around him to work with.

I'd agree with a lot of what Simamu says regarding ingoings and outgoings.
SG90

Post by SG90 »

Costy wrote:Can't believe some people are saying they'd actively get rid of Saiz. Best player we've had for ages. Just needs more quality around him to work with.

I'd agree with a lot of what Simamu says regarding ingoings and outgoings.
I'm not advocating selling him at all, I'm just saying how would we fund transfers unless Radz funds them himself and is prepared to take a loss.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Costy wrote: I'd agree with a lot of what Simamu says regarding ingoings and outgoings.
So do I, but I’d get rid of Roofe without a doubt.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 728

Roofe's a puzzler for me.

Like Sacko, he has pace and a reputation that scares opposition fans and managers.
Unlike Sacko, he can actually be a real threat on his day.

.. shame that day appears to be a Thursday this season :wtf: