2018/19 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: 2018/19 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by johnh »

Post on Everton supporters website that Everton are interested in Phillips.
I once played against Don Revie.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

PhoenixUnited wrote:
rigger wrote:Re: Lasogga

I liked him and could see why he was highly rated, but he was out of shape and at his age that sets alarm bells off for me.
Anything he does this season with HSV has to be tempered though because they're playing in the second division for the first time in their history and there's a lot of poor clubs down there, so I wouldn't be too excited/surprised by his form ..
From what I saw, Lasogga, or Lardsogga as I had taken to calling him, might have been technically gifted, but he was not very mobile, couldn't pass the ball, couldn't hold the ball up, couldn't link up play, couldn't help the defence. In the box, to his feet he'd have got us some goals. It is an obvious fact that he was far from being at the top of his fitness but he never gave the impression that he was ever going to bust a gut for anything. In essence, he was very poor in a poor all round team and I would have been unhappy if we had kept him on even if we could have afforded him. What we had last year did not suit his style of play or vice versa.

Anyway, it's history now but I reckon he would have struggled to give us the mobility that the Bielsa teams at the moment seem to prefer.
We did channel a lot of play through Lasogga, as we have done main strikers before. A slow technically gifted stiker is fine in a 4-4-2 with a fast striker along side, but not the system we were playing.
saihtam
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by saihtam »

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/10/25/r ... -ibai-gom/

Can be huge if true. BUt i think we most be top 3 in January for him to even consider moving.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Not what we need though, is it ?
We've got plenty of wingers already AND Clarke coming through.

In order of priority I think this is what we need :
Centre-half
Defensive midfielder
Box-to-box midfielder
Target-man (Edmondson could be the one)
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

I can understand wanting another playmaker winger, given Hernandez' fitness concerns and age, but I'd like to see what Brown can offer first. Although a player of such an ilk will definitely be needed in the summer, whatever league we're in come that point. I think that someone who can play at CB and at DM should be the priority for January.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

rigger wrote: In order of priority I think this is what we need :
Unless more injuries occur, I cannot see us signing another striker when we have got Bamford back around transfer window time.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Unless more injuries occur, I cannot see us signing another striker when we have got Bamford back around transfer window time.
Agree with you, I can't see us signing another striker anytime soon. I think Bamford will provide us with a greater target anyways, whenever he returns.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

[quote="SiMamu"]I can understand wanting another playmaker winger, given Hernandez' fitness concerns and age, but I'd like to see what Brown can offer first. Although a player of such an ilk will definitely be needed in the summer, whatever league we're in come that point.

Spot on that, my thoughts as well
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

ilkley62 wrote:
SiMamu wrote:I can understand wanting another playmaker winger, given Hernandez' fitness concerns and age, but I'd like to see what Brown can offer first. Although a player of such an ilk will definitely be needed in the summer, whatever league we're in come that point.

Spot on that, my thoughts as well
I disagree to a certain extent, Pablo looks the fittest I've ever seen him. We don't need a need a target man, purely because that's not what MB wants from his front man. I don't understand the Brown signing, never will, so injury prone it's untrue. Bamford coming back will be a positive, Roofe has been out for half of the season so far (games played/fixtures we've played), and he's been incredible so far, long may that continue. Protect Pablo at all costs and continue to give Saiz the support because I believe he will be a major player for us in the 2nd half of the season.
MOT1964
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by MOT1964 »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Agreed, in fact I don't see the need for any major signings in January unless there is a long term injury to either Phillips or Hernandez.

Assuming that our injured players are back we'll be more than adequately covered in every position, other than the roles that Phillips plays in a back three and Hernandez as a playmaker.