2018/19 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: 2018/19 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Elland Road isn't really sold out regularly though, each season has around 25 home games if we're lucky while all permanent staff are paid every week. They've told us a few times this summer that the loan market will probably be important for us. I didn't want Vieira to go but I'm sure if Bielsa had felt strongly enough about it then he'd have made a bigger fuss.
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

For me personally speaking of course, Yes it seems underwhelming and that could be the case come mid=season when we usually run out of steam. But i have a sneaky suspicion that Bielsa has a more tactical approach to the game and he is molding this squad into his own style and shape according to the teams we face.

The problem last season is we had far too many players on the books, I think none can disagree with that. This in itself can cause friction in the dressing room as well as a negative on the individuals who aren't getting enough game time, lets be honest there were quiet a few who were in that group.

This season with a trimmed down squad the players that we have left will all feel that they have a better chance to not only get game time but also benefit from two other things, Firstly Bilesa's tactical awareness in the game and how to play in a set up that isn't as erratic as they had last year. Secondly they will benefit from his fitness regime and maybe just maybe they will close out games better than we did before.

If players are fitter, more tactically aware then they can mold better as a squad and therefore play better together. The gelling of this squad will surprise us in the next few months.

Not as upset by not getting in as many as i had initially hoped and there is the old saying..... It is what it is now deal with it.... :D
rss1969
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by rss1969 »

Viera is a loss and I am disappointed that the club have cashed in on one of our own products yet again. I am not a fan of AR, Kinnear or Orta and they have made plenty of mistakes so far.

If we bring in a decent CB to partner Pontus (and give Cooper competition) we will not be too far away. Ideally a CM to cover the loss of Viera and the ongoing loss of Forshaw who seems permanently injured or just recovering from injury. Maybe another ST but I do like the look of both Edmondsen & Dalby as long as we are not reliant on them.

I still feel we are just short in quality of what will be needed and physically short as well over a long old season.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Can anyone remind me, was there a return date for Forshaw's injury?
I have 2 or 3 months in my head...
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

rss1969 wrote:Viera is a loss and I am disappointed that the club have cashed in on one of our own products yet again. I am not a fan of AR, Kinnear or Orta and they have made plenty of mistakes so far.

If we bring in a decent CB to partner Pontus (and give Cooper competition) we will not be too far away. Ideally a CM to cover the loss of Viera and the ongoing loss of Forshaw who seems permanently injured or just recovering from injury. Maybe another ST but I do like the look of both Edmondsen & Dalby as long as we are not reliant on them.

I still feel we are just short in quality of what will be needed and physically short as well over a long old season.
I would hardly call Vieira one of our own products as he spent very little time at our Academy.

MB says he wants two players for every position so Klich and Forshaw would be the two in CM.

Forshaw was meant to be 6-8 weeks out.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:
rss1969 wrote:Viera is a loss and I am disappointed that the club have cashed in on one of our own products yet again. I am not a fan of AR, Kinnear or Orta and they have made plenty of mistakes so far.

I would hardly call Vieira one of our own products as he spent very little time at our Academy.

MB says he wants two players for every position so Klich and Forshaw would be the two in CM.

Forshaw was meant to be 6-8 weeks out.
:thumbup:
phil62
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by phil62 »

On the question of where the money has gone - Bielsa has not come cheap - he is in effect a 'marquee signing'. If we can sustain the standard of the Stoke game I think Leeds will sell out every home league game. There is hope and belief at the moment so I am cautiously optimistic. I also believe that keeping hold of Saiz, Hernandez, Pontus and Ayling is also key to a good season. We nose dived when Saiz was suspended and Ayling injured - they are vital IMO. As for Vieira- I thought that was good business for an average talent who gave the ball away far too often and rarely scored - possibly 10m and no doubt a sell on clause- it has allowed a couple of decent signings to come in. A decent window shaped more by those we have kept than those we have lost.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

phil62 wrote:On the question of where the money has gone - Bielsa has not come cheap - he is in effect a 'marquee signing'. If we can sustain the standard of the Stoke game I think Leeds will sell out every home league game. There is hope and belief at the moment so I am cautiously optimistic. I also believe that keeping hold of Saiz, Hernandez, Pontus and Ayling is also key to a good season. We nose dived when Saiz was suspended and Ayling injured - they are vital IMO. As for Vieira- I thought that was good business for an average talent who gave the ball away far too often and rarely scored - possibly 10m and no doubt a sell on clause- it has allowed a couple of decent signings to come in. A decent window shaped more by those we have kept than those we have lost.
Totally agree :thumbup:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
MyNameIsMark
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by MyNameIsMark »

Likewise.

A good, level-headed post, that :thumbup:
yorkfan
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by yorkfan »

I can't disagree at all with anything contained in phil62's post, but, taking into account Ronaldo's transfer fee, and the 49'ers cash injection, it still seems that we ought to have had funds available beyond the relatively small amounts we've spent, given that most folks seem to feel that the squad still needs strengthening?