2018/19 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: 2018/19 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by DominanceUK »

MOT1964 wrote:
DominanceUK wrote:
MOT1964 wrote:
Rumours are that we are losing money (no idea why or how :?), and that one of our so called stars (there aren't many) will have to be sold to fund any incoming players :(
Losing money? Where did you hear that from, pal? I've not heard/seen anything to suggest we are losing money.
It came from Twitter, which is why I started the sentence with 'rumours'.

However it was posted by Mike Thornton, who is not your typical ITK fantasist on that site, and normally only states facts.
MikeT/AdrianTeakdesk
‏@Mike_J_Thornton

The club does need the money. We are lossmaking and although P&L losses are within limits we need to replace cash lost every year. Our funding model includes some player sales.

Agree Bielsa decides who goes unless player wants out. Some surprises coming!
Ahh, ok. Thanks pal :)
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

Hopefully the supposed twenty million is still available then....... Looks like we will have to wait and see once again if Radz has done half measures by bringing in the right kind of manager but nothing to back the manager with first team players. If what MOT posted has any credence then i suspect that he will be expecting Bielsa to walk after ten games if there's no Transfers in that are not loan sharks from other clubs.

I wouldn't mind so much with the players that are left and with Bielsa's work ethic i do believe we can give ourselves a chance, but over the full season we will need to strengthen in the forward department considerably not unless he intends to use the U23 forward which again i would have no problem with so long as they can step up.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

CorkWhite wrote:
I wouldn't mind so much with the players that are left and with Bielsa's work ethic i do believe we can give ourselves a chance, but over the full season we will need to strengthen in the forward department considerably not unless he intends to use the U23 forward which again i would have no problem with so long as they can step up.
I agree for me strengthen up front should be our priority.

Although would be more than happy for Edmundson to get a few games, looked good at end of last season.
Saying that we can't expect a kid to play every week, just good coaching and management to keep his development moving in the right direction.

I do think we will see Roofe improve under Bielsa but we need more fire power.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
TezzaWazzaBazza
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by TezzaWazzaBazza »

So far, our transfer activity can only be seen as a failure if the intention is promotion. We want a strong squad from the start. We'll see. Why is a good season so hard.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

Plenty of positives from the Southend game have left me feeling a bit more optimistic:

1. The squad already has much better passing and one-touch technique than in previous seasons.
2. Movement off the ball, and vision to pick out long passes, is better.
3. Players seem to actually understand each others' positions, which was something I was concerned wouldn't happen with Bielsa's tactics.
4. Tyler Roberts' pace and movement.
5. Tyler Roberts' tricky feet.
6. The whole team looked really fit (even slightly tubby, still petulant Saiz).
7. It's patently obvious that we need 3 signings, but it does seem we only need those 3. We need height and strength at CB, we need a pact direct winger, and we need a goal threat to finish all those neat incisive passing moves.
8. Luke Ayling. More than a workhorse, his technique has improved and he's popped up everywhere (and he's oddly been our biggest goal threat).

I'm sure lots of people on here will have a long list of negatives, but the sun's still out and I'm choosing to remain optimistic we'll bring in the 3 and it'll all come good.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

Leonickroberts wrote:Plenty of positives from the Southend game have left me feeling a bit more optimistic:

1. The squad already has much better passing and one-touch technique than in previous seasons.
3. Players seem to actually understand each others' positions, which was something I was concerned wouldn't happen with Bielsa's tactics.
7. It's patently obvious that we need 3 signings, but it does seem we only need those 3. We need height and strength at CB, we need a pact direct winger, and we need a goal threat to finish all those neat incisive passing moves.
8. Luke Ayling. More than a workhorse, his technique has improved and he's popped up everywhere (and he's oddly been our biggest goal threat).

I'm sure lots of people on here will have a long list of negatives, but the sun's still out and I'm choosing to remain optimistic we'll bring in the 3 and it'll all come good.
Good, positive post Leon. Although, I believe we need more than the 3 signings IMO. 3 to walk in to the first team and 3 to cover.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Leonickroberts wrote:Plenty of positives from the Southend game have left me feeling a bit more optimistic:

Completely agree with this. We know we need 3 new signings, we just need to up the ante on getting these deals done.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

Good post, thanks - only issue I have is the 3 players we need are in 3 key positions & that means big money which I'm not sure we have
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

ilkley62 wrote:

We were prepared to do a deal rising up to 11m for Vydra, and willing to offer 35k p/w. I think we have the money, it's just deals are taking longer than desired. The deal for Forshaw in January is rising to 4.5m, so we're clearly willing to spend on the right players for the right deal.

Good post, thanks - only issue I have is the 3 players we need are in 3 key positions & that means big money which I'm not sure we have
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

ilkley62 wrote:

Totally agree desperately need a centre half and forward. Can see a Tony pulls side with flint in it scoring 5 against us - all set pieces, without a Bartley type leader at the back.

I think all the deals we do may be done post the deadline as loans / loans to buy. The Argentinian lad at Spurs May be subject to alferweireld not going to scum, Hugill May be dependent on West Ham getting a forward, and Vydra May come about once the option of a Prem move has fallen through. Not ideal however on a positive note we’re not signing 2nd grade alternatives.