2018/19 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
TelfordLeeds
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Re: 2018/19 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by TelfordLeeds »

Should mean we are well up for the forthcoming Swansea game, that may be worth more than overpaying for James. MOT
bgd
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by bgd »

isrodger wrote:fell through as a result of us being unable to put cash on the table immediately rather than in the summer
Not sure that stacks up with what was reported throughout. We started off by asking to buy him and upped our bids for that, then Swansea wanted loan moving to perm in the summer, so they could secure an even higher fee. Then they asked earlier payment of it, to which it sounds like we were about to say yes but they stopped talking. Feels to me that the club went quite far on this in terms of financial commitments.
Viera
Vieira ;)
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

bgd wrote:
isrodger wrote:fell through as a result of us being unable to put cash on the table immediately rather than in the summer
Not sure that stacks up with what was reported throughout. We started off by asking to buy him and upped our bids for that, then Swansea wanted loan moving to perm in the summer, so they could secure an even higher fee. Then they asked earlier payment of it, to which it sounds like we were about to say yes but they stopped talking. Feels to me that the club went quite far on this in terms of financial commitments.
Viera
Vieira ;)

To correct you we asked for loan to buy as we didn’t have the cash to pay immediately. That resulted in us agreeing a deal in total price which would have been more in more than a straight purchase. We expected to pay the £1.5m loan fee in the summer, and then agreed to pay half immediately. The long and short of it is the lack of immediate cash scuppered this deal. Radz should have lent the club to close out the deal at the best price possible. Why didn’t he ? One can only assume he doesn’t have the funds readily available.

What makes this all the more galling is that WBA sort of scuppered this deal buy taking Montero... this was our No1 target deal should have been done days if not weeks ago.
Last edited by isrodger on 01 Feb 2019, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

Regarding James, I'm not bothered about it tbh. I just wonder though, because Swansea let Jefferson go (which was later on through the night I believe), did it change their minds? They still have the play-offs to fight for. I also thought this morning that Swans might think that should we go up (and I firmly believe we will) that we will promptly go back in for him and they may just think that they can get a fee, all of which is up front. Bravo Rigz on the way you handled the situation with Swindon, we may not see eye to eye on a lot regarding Leeds Utd and I have a tendency to 'overthink' and be negative but I'll never stoop that low. Shame really, I appreciate everyone's opinions on Leeds - whether there right or wrong. He just went too far. Now, bring on Norwich!!
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

I'm sorry, i usually try and defend people making off the wall comments as long as they have some relevance to the topic being discussed. The fact that Swindonwhite felt the need to reference "darling" Toby Nye's parents in a topic about transfers is inexcusable for me. Lack of respect and bad taste. Lost respect for the man!

I haven't followed the James story closely as i was working late last night. I must confess i was astonished when i read my phone this morning to find the transfer had fallen through. My first reaction was that funds would probably be the stumbling block, it usually is with Leeds isn't it? It now sounds like Swansea possible got cold feet at the 11th hour. I never really got the deal. Was it 2m upfront then we sign him for around 10m if promoted? What would have happened if we didn't go up?

It did seem that the lad really wanted to come, and so it must have been a real kick in the teeth for the kid. I suppose that's football. If i was a Swansea fan i would have been furious about selling a promising player to one of there main rivals. Whilst personally i would have loved to have the kid on board (i feel he may have chipped in with a few goals) we have got this far without him and if we can get Bamford & Brown finally fit, that will be like having 2 extra signings. Imo the club as taken a calculated gamble on the players coming back being enough to get us over the line. Lets hope they are resoundingly right and we don't suffer from injury and fatigue in the run-in!
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

isrodger wrote:My biggest concern re the Danial James fiasco is the obvious cash flow issues at LUFC and those the owner has personally. I’m not sure if James is worth £1m or £12m however this deal fell through as a result of us being unable to put cash on the table immediately rather than in the summer. Likewise Viera a player Bielsa wished to retain said he could double in value was sacrificed to shore up a short term cash flow issue.

If we fail to go up I’m afraid Clarke will be sold cheaply like Saiz and Viera was.

Radz has been a good owner and is light years ahead of many of his predessors, however his failure to find £750k immediately rather than in June could cost him £250m!
If this is correct then its no wonder the deal was pulled. £750k is chicken feed to a club like Swansea? i can only presume that Swansea even contemplated the deal cos the young kid really wanted it. No wonder they pulled the plug if we can't stump up that amount. If we don't go up they probably worry that they won't get any money at all. So we have Kiki replacing Siaz on probably the same salary. I have to be honest i thought that AR would see the pot of gold and dig deep this transfer window. Lets hope his main signing in Bielsa can carry on squeezing every last drop from this squad. Looking at our bench over the last month he will need to.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

swindonwhite wrote:I would love to know what it is you put in youre coffee this morning & the worlds not such a wonderful place just ask darling Tobys parents.
That has to be the most sickening, dispicable and cruel post I have ever read on this forum, and I have been around for a while. I actually thought about deleting my account on the back of it.

As someone who has lost a child, and nearly my wife in the same day, I cannot believe that someone would even think about posting that, never mind actually write it down.
Last edited by Barlow Boy on 01 Feb 2019, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Swansea deny Dan James agent claims:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47069029
johnnysmiles
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by johnnysmiles »

Hello everyone...

IMHO I think we need to move on and not discuss what should no longer be discussed (if that makes sense)...

I have 3 worries about the Dan James affair.

1. It may put a downer on the Norwich game... even the players must have been wondering wtf was going on judging by Pontus' tweets
2. I totally understood the rationale behind the move... the two things we needed in the window was a better goalkeeper and a Hadi Sacko who is good with the ball.... Dan James would have been great when we're 1-0 up on the counter attack
3. I read a great article somewhere in the last few days about Bielsa's eye for a player... apparently in 2015 (I think), when Bielsa was at Marseille, he wanted to buy a player for 8 million, but Marseill thought the player was too expensive.... it was Kante... later signed by Chelsea for 32 million... makes me wonder what James may end up being worth...

We'll all forget about Dan James if we can beat Norwich on Saturday....
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

I generally stick to on field matters and tend not to involve myself in fall outs on here, but while I think it was an unfortunate and unnecessary thing for Swindonwhite to mention, the way I read it he wasn't intending to be cruel or unsympathetic. I think the point he was trying to make in reply to Rigger was that the world isn't always sweet and light and perfect and that things go wrong sometimes. All a bit deep and it was clumsy and a really poor choice of example, but I don't think there was any deliberate malice. I don't know him at all; I just thought a little bit of mediation was possibly required.