2018/19 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

Re: 2018/19 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Postby Davycc » 01 Feb 2019, 17:14

Costy wrote:I generally stick to on field matters and tend not to involve myself in fall outs on here, but while I think it was an unfortunate and unnecessary thing for Swindonwhite to mention, the way I read it he wasn't intending to be cruel or unsympathetic. I think the point he was trying to make in reply to Rigger was that the world isn't always sweet and light and perfect and that things go wrong sometimes. All a bit deep and it was clumsy and a really poor choice of example, but I don't think there was any deliberate malice. I don't know him at all; I just thought a little bit of mediation was possibly required.


Good to have people on the forum such as yourself looking from another angle and willing to discuss it. However poor an example it was was really multiplied ten fold by the tone of swindonwhites posts, we can all make stupid remarks when trying to be funny but the context was all wrong as well. Hopefully, but I have my doubts he will come back having realised just how aggressive he had been and his VERY poor choice of example.
"A man with new ideas is a madman - until his ideas triumph" Marcelo Bielsa.
User avatar
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 11374
Joined: 03 Aug 2011, 18:09
Location: Under a thumb

Re: 2018/19 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Postby Sniffer » 01 Feb 2019, 17:38

Costy wrote:I generally stick to on field matters and tend not to involve myself in fall outs on here, but while I think it was an unfortunate and unnecessary thing for Swindonwhite to mention, the way I read it he wasn't intending to be cruel or unsympathetic. I think the point he was trying to make in reply to Rigger was that the world isn't always sweet and light and perfect and that things go wrong sometimes. All a bit deep and it was clumsy and a really poor choice of example, but I don't think there was any deliberate malice. I don't know him at all; I just thought a little bit of mediation was possibly required.


You're a better man than me, Costy. I try to see both sides too but that was too much. Swindonwhite is a passionate/aggressive poster on occasions. Whether he intended to be cruel or unsympathetic is neither here nor there because that is how it came across to many of us. Yes, he was trying to show that the world is not all sweetness and light but the apparent (to me at least) sarcasm in the word "darling" was just plain nasty. I hope he comes back chastened but I'd imagine he'll read these comments about him and walk.
Last edited by Sniffer on 02 Feb 2019, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner
 
Posts: 2221
Joined: 17 Feb 2013, 17:03

Re: 2018/19 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Postby Another Northern Soul » 01 Feb 2019, 17:39

johnnysmiles wrote:Hello everyone...

IMHO I think we need to move on and not discuss what should no longer be discussed (if that makes sense)...

I have 3 worries about the Dan James affair.

1. It may put a downer on the Norwich game... even the players must have been wondering wtf was going on judging by Pontus' tweets
2. I totally understood the rationale behind the move... the two things we needed in the window was a better goalkeeper and a Hadi Sacko who is good with the ball.... Dan James would have been great when we're 1-0 up on the counter attack
3. I read a great article somewhere in the last few days about Bielsa's eye for a player... apparently in 2015 (I think), when Bielsa was at Marseille, he wanted to buy a player for 8 million, but Marseill thought the player was too expensive.... it was Kante... later signed by Chelsea for 32 million... makes me wonder what James may end up being worth...

We'll all forget about Dan James if we can beat Norwich on Saturday....


What did Jansson tweet, Johnny?

I genuinely think this transfer fiasco won't affect the players one iota, in fact I have a suspicion it will galvanise the team more than anything, together with the after-effect of those 11 teams, Norwich being prominent even with their pink paint :P who complained to the EFL about Bielsa having an employee watch opposing teams' training sessions.

ps I'm sure swindonwhite wasn't meaning to offend by using Toby's name in his (pointless) argument but the comment has caused offence nonetheless and he has form for trying to wind people up before.
User avatar
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 5897
Joined: 01 Nov 2015, 09:55

Re: 2018/19 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Postby rss1969 » 01 Feb 2019, 17:42

Davycc wrote:
Costy wrote:I generally stick to on field matters and tend not to involve myself in fall outs on here, but while I think it was an unfortunate and unnecessary thing for Swindonwhite to mention, the way I read it he wasn't intending to be cruel or unsympathetic. I think the point he was trying to make in reply to Rigger was that the world isn't always sweet and light and perfect and that things go wrong sometimes. All a bit deep and it was clumsy and a really poor choice of example, but I don't think there was any deliberate malice. I don't know him at all; I just thought a little bit of mediation was possibly required.


Good to have people on the forum such as yourself looking from another angle and willing to discuss it. However poor an example it was was really multiplied ten fold by the tone of swindonwhites posts, we can all make stupid remarks when trying to be funny but the context was all wrong as well. Hopefully, but I have my doubts he will come back having realised just how aggressive he had been and his VERY poor choice of example.


I have not commented on this yet as things can get out of hand.

I agree with both the above posts. I think I understand his intention but his analogy was totally misplaced and certainly not for this topic.
User avatar
rss1969
Arthur Fairclough's milliner
 
Posts: 2965
Joined: 22 Apr 2010, 18:57

Re: 2018/19 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Postby Deleted User 3150 » 01 Feb 2019, 18:07

If I was Daniel James, I would be inclined to tell Swansea to stuff any offer they now made

Partly because of the way he has been treated in this matter,and partly because the owners seem a bit dodgy and are unlikely to progress the club.

He's in a really awkward position now

I wouldn't be particularly keen to play well for them, but then he could damage his standing with interested clubs

I suppose his best option is to refuse a deal, play really well and hope somebody (Maybe a premiership team), comes in for him in the summer

As others have said, I feel sorry for him and the position he has been put in
Deleted User 3150
 

Re: 2018/19 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Postby saintjimmy » 01 Feb 2019, 20:49

A shame about James falling through as I would have liked some genuine pace injected into the side but never mind I’m sure we’ll try again if he’s really worth it, feel for BPF too a bit but no doubt he has cost us a few points but can only put that down to age and experience which should be remedied by KC , and without wanting to sound like a complete plonker getting Bamford and Brown fit ( and keeping them fit , touches noggin’ ) really will be like new signings, there’s a long way to go and it’s gona get rocky but let’s keep fighting.

MOT
User avatar
saintjimmy
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter
 
Posts: 1077
Joined: 03 Apr 2010, 08:21
Location: Down the pub on hope street

Re: 2018/19 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Postby dunlop » 01 Feb 2019, 21:46

ref Swindonwhite's post:
my thinking . with emotions running high , the wrong words with the best intentions of putting yourself across can be costly , we have all said things at moments in time that with hindsight we may have worded differently?
and in messaging it cannot be withdrawn once put online , ask ollie mcburnie?
my point being , sometimes we jump on people the simplest of misteps?
dunlop
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach
 
Posts: 74
Joined: 24 Jun 2012, 13:24

Re: 2018/19 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Postby Selby White » 01 Feb 2019, 22:11

dunlop wrote:ref Swindonwhite's post:
my thinking . with emotions running high , the wrong words with the best intentions of putting yourself across can be costly , we have all said things at moments in time that with hindsight we may have worded differently?
and in messaging it cannot be withdrawn once put online , ask ollie mcburnie?
my point being , sometimes we jump on people the simplest of misteps?


Swindon was asked to edit an earlier post by pm which was a bit verbally aggressive and disrespectful to another forum member.
He either didn't see or ignored that advice, can't say which for sure.
This morning for whatever reason he appeared to be looking for an argument.
Eventually the Toby comment crossed the line and he was rightly suspended.

All of us members need to consider if our comments are abusive or upsetting to others before we press the button.
If we make an error we can all edit our own posts.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
User avatar
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 11650
Joined: 25 Mar 2012, 11:32

Re: 2018/19 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Postby Davycc » 01 Feb 2019, 22:13

Selby White wrote:
dunlop wrote:ref Swindonwhite's post:
my thinking . with emotions running high , the wrong words with the best intentions of putting yourself across can be costly , we have all said things at moments in time that with hindsight we may have worded differently?
and in messaging it cannot be withdrawn once put online , ask ollie mcburnie?
my point being , sometimes we jump on people the simplest of misteps?


Swindon was asked to edit an earlier post by pm which was a bit verbally aggressive and disrespectful to another forum member.
He either didn't see or ignored that advice, can't say which for sure.
This morning for whatever reason he appeared to be looking for an argument.
Eventually the Toby comment crossed the line and he was rightly suspended.

All of us members need to consider if our comments are abusive or upsetting to others before we press the button.
If we make an error we can all edit our own posts.


And if we make an error we can all be big enough to hold our hands up, most of us do !
"A man with new ideas is a madman - until his ideas triumph" Marcelo Bielsa.
User avatar
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 11374
Joined: 03 Aug 2011, 18:09
Location: Under a thumb

Re: 2018/19 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Postby dunlop » 01 Feb 2019, 22:19

ref Swindonwhites posts fair play guys , a mistep is one thing , but to continually overstep the line , especially when advised not too , deserves to be managed. we all make mistakes , but to make a mistake or push our luck are two different things.
dunlop
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach
 
Posts: 74
Joined: 24 Jun 2012, 13:24

PreviousNext

Return to LUFC TALK

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Phil147, thewinningpostexile and 6 guests