Post season tour of Burma

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
The Young Bremner
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post season tour of Burma

Post by The Young Bremner »

Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Post season tour of Burma

Post by Barlow Boy »

Yes pal, it’s been doing the rounds for a while, now on the o/s....

https://www.leedsunited.com/news/team-n ... in-myanmar
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

The players will be fine, I'm not worried about them (classic Daily Mail fear of the foreign - the friendlies will inevitably only be in Yangon not any of the FCO blacklisted places), but the reputation of the club picking a pre season tour to a country that's all over the news for human rights abuses doesn't fill me with confidence.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

The key phrase in the press release on the website was "Myanmar is one of the fastest growing nations in South East Asia".

Ignore everything else : it's about getting a foothold in an emerging market before anyone else does, that's all.

We won't make a dent in China, India or any of those places with our current profile so I actually think it's a canny move in terms of shifting shirts and raising awareness.

I wonder if we'll open a club shop in Yangon or even Mandalay ?

As Ian Dury once sang,
"In the dock of Tiger Bay
On the road to Mandalay
From Bombay to Santa Fe
Over hills and far away ...
Buy our latest football kit
Buy it !
Buy it !"
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Odd for me are the dates for the two fixtures there - 9th and 11th May, just after the season has finished. Normally friendlies are played in June and July after the players come back from Skegness or wherever.

Perhaps they're going to leave Sacko over there and hope nobody notices.......
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Deleted User 728

The more I think about this, the more moronic it gets.

Another PR own-goal from the board, following the badge fiasco.

Someone really needs to get hold of AR and warn him before he comes up with another great idea ..

I actually think Scandinavia would be a good destination for us. There's LOADS of fans over there who come over to watch us regularly : why not reward them by playing in their back yard ? We do it with Ireland often enough, so I don't know why we can't.
It would save money and strengthen an already loyal market, if it's just the numbers they're worried about .. and I can't see it being anything else, like developing Asian football. That's all a crock, same as it was for the FA before the last round of World Cup bidding.
Deleted User 728

mapperleywhite wrote:Odd for me are the dates for the two fixtures there - 9th and 11th May, just after the season has finished. Normally friendlies are played in June and July after the players come back from Skegness or wherever.

Perhaps they're going to leave Sacko over there and hope nobody notices.......

I'm sure it's purely because it's a World Cup year and most football fans will be consumed by the tournament and many will take holidays after it and therefore interest would be lower than for a normal "off" year.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

AR has business interests there & will be hoping to tap into the Burmese market. It's an unusual time to go & I expect any World Cup hopefuls won't be travelling.
Winner of the Europa League
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by SG90 »

Another pr disaster for AR and AK. Obviously it's for money reasons, but I don't like how we're selling our soul away to places with no interest in football. Why not Europe or South America instead?
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

It's a post season tour and it's been planned so as to spread the LU word and get more business exposure. TBH it's a very odd choice given the 'political climate' etc but it's only the fans I feel sorry for - ours who travel and the Myanmar ones who have to watch some players who won't give a damn about it :P