Heckingbottom has left the building.

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
johnnysmiles
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Re: Heckingbottom has left the building.

Post by johnnysmiles »

isrodger wrote:The only one for me who more or less guarantees success is big Sam. Did Kinnear have him at West Ham ?
He'd be my choice too
TezzaWazzaBazza
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by TezzaWazzaBazza »

Message from the Leeds end is that the head coach’s appointment has a way to go yet but contacts in Spain believe the process with Bielsa is a good way down the line. They only make the point that Bielsa is difficult to second guess.

Latest Phil Hay tweet from a couple of minutes ago.
Ricardo Da Lepp
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Ricardo Da Lepp »

NottinghamWhite wrote:What the bookies think.

Marcelo Bielsa 4/6
Claudio Ranieri 10/3
Flippo Inzaghi 7/1
Mick McCarthy 17/2
Michael Laudrup 12/1
Jaap Stam 12/1
Sam Allarcdyce 18/1
Steve McClaren 20/1
Slaven Bilic 20/1
Nigel Pearson 20/1
Quique Flores 25/1
Gordon Strachan 40/1
Alan Pardew 50/1
Yes : Allardyce, McArthy, Ranieri. All have big positive attributes to bring in.
No : Bruce, Pearson, Pardew, Stam, McLaren. Issues with all of them.
Not sure about / dubious : Bielsa, Laudrup, Bilic, Flores, Inzaghi. Inadequate English skills or just don't feel right somehow.
Strachan - love the guy which is why I wouldn't want him to come back as manager.

Wenger or ZiZu anyone?
zigzag
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by zigzag »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Left his boyhood club, destroyed his reputation as a promising young English manager, got sacked on his family holiday. Leeds United destroying lives since 1919.
Sorry, but the only thing I agree with is that it is quite classless to sack him whilst he is on holiday.

He had just signed a new deal at Barnsley and wasnt forced to take the Leeds job, he had enough games to make his mark, show improvement, and keep his reputation intact - and that does not necessarily mean wins but just to show that his methods were having an jmpact and progress was being made, unfortunately for him there was none of this.

It was 100% in his hands to make a success of the job, he didnt do so and didnt look like he would do so given more time.
Deleted User 2988

Post by Deleted User 2988 »

Not a fan of sacking managers after such a short period of time, but let's be honest, Heckingbottom was a horrendous appointment which made no logical sense. Before joining he'd won like 1 in his last 16 at Barnsley. Combined with his Leeds record (3 in 16? 4 in 16? I'm sure someone will confirm it for me), that's 4/5 wins in 30-odd games. Absolutely atrocious. That said, I feel for the guy. He was never the right man for the job (at least not at this time), but four months with an out of form team, expecting them to reach the play offs? It was always going to be tough.

I know TC wasn't for everyone by the end of his time, but I cannot understand the logic in firing him for 1 win in 8, only to replace him with a manager with 1 win in his last 16, albeit with a club that went on to be relegated. May as well have given TC the rest of the season to try and turn it around. We'd lost a few games, sure, but a lot of that was down to the fact that the players were losing their discipline and making stupid, rash decisions out of frustration. And I don't agree with the argument that ill-discipline stems from the players not liking or supporting the manager. Would you blame Cantona's kung-fu kick on Ferguson? Or Di Canio's referee push on Danny Wilson?
Berardi and Cooper have always had a reputation to flying into stupid tackles, so nothing there suggests they had a major problem with TC. Saíz had already been alleged to have spat at an opponent vs Port Vale at the start of the season, when everything was fine and dandy; it's clearly just part of his character, reprehensible as it may be. O'Kane's ill-discipline is the only major oddity, completely out of character for him and stupid beyond measure.

Even with two poor runs, TC had the team flirting with the play offs and punching above their weight for most of his time. We fell away by the end of his reign, although as I said, not exactly helped by stupid tackles and behaviours on the pitch. His win ratio was nearly double Heckingbottom's...

Not advocating TC's return for one minute, but I think he should've at least been given the season. I quite like Radz overall, but he made a huge mistake announcing his intention to make the play offs this season before we'd even kicked a ball. I'm sure the majority of Leeds fan loved his optimism and intent, but with the kind of players we were signing (unproven in English football), we were never going to be competing at the top end of the league. Top half, and potentially a play off push, would've been a solid season. I know it would've been a disappointment not to improve on Monk's work the year before, but with a manager new to the league, and a squad of players who were (mostly) playing in England for the first time, it would've been a good foundation. Instead, we lost a few games, panicked, and appointed a manager who 'knew the league', despite the fact he wasn't all that good at Barnsley. Don't think we would've made the play offs either way, but surely anyone could've seen Heckingbottom wasn't the answer?

No real thoughts on Bielsa as a possibility; seems unlikely given his reputation in the game, but he may fancy the challenge, I guess. I don't really think it matters who the manager/head coach is anymore, they're never given enough time because the fans don't have the patience, and the board panic over their investments as soon as we hit a rough patch. We may get lucky one season, and I really hope we do, but until then, I just hope that if we are going to sack a manager midway through a season, we don't hire the manager from the one team lower than us in the form table!
bedfordwhites
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by bedfordwhites »

Lets just hope that whoever AR decides to get in, he gets given enough time to have a decent run at this tough job, i mean at least a couple of seasons, you cant build a team overnight. Everybody wants instant success, lets get some stability at this club. MOT.
richdon01
Giddy Kipper

Post by richdon01 »

Allardyce anyday………Simples
Stam or McCarthy - save the postage on the season ticket request
Today is a step forward
Lets hope the 49ers understand how to get us back in the PL, todays action would suggest so.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

kiwi wrote:Not a fan of sacking managers after such a short period of time, but let's be honest, Heckingbottom was a horrendous appointment which made no logical sense. Before joining he'd won like 1 in his last 16 at Barnsley. Combined with his Leeds record (3 in 16? 4 in 16? I'm sure someone will confirm it for me), that's 4/5 wins in 30-odd games. Absolutely atrocious. That said, I feel for the guy. He was never the right man for the job (at least not at this time), but four months with an out of form team, expecting them to reach the play offs? It was always going to be tough.

I know TC wasn't for everyone by the end of his time, but I cannot understand the logic in firing him for 1 win in 8, only to replace him with a manager with 1 win in his last 16, albeit with a club that went on to be relegated. May as well have given TC the rest of the season to try and turn it around. We'd lost a few games, sure, but a lot of that was down to the fact that the players were losing their discipline and making stupid, rash decisions out of frustration. And I don't agree with the argument that ill-discipline stems from the players not liking or supporting the manager. Would you blame Cantona's kung-fu kick on Ferguson? Or Di Canio's referee push on Danny Wilson?
Berardi and Cooper have always had a reputation to flying into stupid tackles, so nothing there suggests they had a major problem with TC. Saíz had already been alleged to have spat at an opponent vs Port Vale at the start of the season, when everything was fine and dandy; it's clearly just part of his character, reprehensible as it may be. O'Kane's ill-discipline is the only major oddity, completely out of character for him and stupid beyond measure.

Even with two poor runs, TC had the team flirting with the play offs and punching above their weight for most of his time. We fell away by the end of his reign, although as I said, not exactly helped by stupid tackles and behaviours on the pitch. His win ratio was nearly double Heckingbottom's...

Not advocating TC's return for one minute, but I think he should've at least been given the season. I quite like Radz overall, but he made a huge mistake announcing his intention to make the play offs this season before we'd even kicked a ball. I'm sure the majority of Leeds fan loved his optimism and intent, but with the kind of players we were signing (unproven in English football), we were never going to be competing at the top end of the league. Top half, and potentially a play off push, would've been a solid season. I know it would've been a disappointment not to improve on Monk's work the year before, but with a manager new to the league, and a squad of players who were (mostly) playing in England for the first time, it would've been a good foundation. Instead, we lost a few games, panicked, and appointed a manager who 'knew the league', despite the fact he wasn't all that good at Barnsley. Don't think we would've made the play offs either way, but surely anyone could've seen Heckingbottom wasn't the answer?

No real thoughts on Bielsa as a possibility; seems unlikely given his reputation in the game, but he may fancy the challenge, I guess. I don't really think it matters who the manager/head coach is anymore, they're never given enough time because the fans don't have the patience, and the board panic over their investments as soon as we hit a rough patch. We may get lucky one season, and I really hope we do, but until then, I just hope that if we are going to sack a manager midway through a season, we don't hire the manager from the one team lower than us in the form table!
I know you’ve mentioned before you don’t post regularly kiwi, but when you do they are a really good read.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

Glad to hear this news.

Next step, to employ the right person and give then the time and the players to finish the job of getting Leeds United promoted.

Of those mentioned, I like McCarthy, Ranieri or Bruce. We need someone who knows the Championship, it's the only way to go..
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

Barlow Boy wrote:
kiwi wrote:Not a fan of sacking managers after such a short period of time, but let's be honest, Heckingbottom was a horrendous appointment which made no logical sense. Before joining he'd won like 1 in his last 16 at Barnsley. Combined with his Leeds record (3 in 16? 4 in 16? I'm sure someone will confirm it for me), that's 4/5 wins in 30-odd games. Absolutely atrocious. That said, I feel for the guy. He was never the right man for the job (at least not at this time), but four months with an out of form team, expecting them to reach the play offs? It was always going to be tough.

I know you’ve mentioned before you don’t post regularly kiwi, but when you do they are a really good read.
Totally agree, BB. Great read, Kiwi.