Bielsa's tactics

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: Bielsa's tactics

Post by Sniffer »

swindonwhite wrote:This could be a special season for us.
I say that every year, SW. :roll:
swindonwhite
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by swindonwhite »

Dead right Sniffer - think it - hope it - wish it - say it - Want it - just maybe we poor sods may have something to cheers - please god.
Gilford_NI_Whites
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Gilford_NI_Whites »

swindonwhite wrote:There is absolutely no way Bielsa could have been persuaded to join Leeds without the promise of a very large transfer budget - we do have a few technical gifted players - add to that 5 or 6 more Bielsa will bring in - I think a deal is in place as the sacking of PH would not have happened as quick as it did - please god it is - This could be a special season for us.

I can't see how that can happen. I would love Leeds to give a 'decent manager' funds, but with Orta doing the scouting and buying, where would he fit In? I think Orta is deciding on players, which is our downfall.
swindonwhite
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by swindonwhite »

I also think that Bielsa would have asked for final say on targets Cannot see him taking a backseat on anything - seems Orta & co have agreed.
mintyshoe
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by mintyshoe »

https://youtu.be/wDRVk4qvDX0

Intriguing analysis...
dangermouse
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by dangermouse »

Gilford_NI_Whites wrote:
swindonwhite wrote:There is absolutely no way Bielsa could have been persuaded to join Leeds without the promise of a very large transfer budget - we do have a few technical gifted players - add to that 5 or 6 more Bielsa will bring in - I think a deal is in place as the sacking of PH would not have happened as quick as it did - please god it is - This could be a special season for us.

I can't see how that can happen. I would love Leeds to give a 'decent manager' funds, but with Orta doing the scouting and buying, where would he fit In? I think Orta is deciding on players, which is our downfall.
There is no way Bielsa will be allowing Victor Orta to choose his players. I would think it will work where Bielsa tells Orta who he wants then Orta goes and tries to get them. That would be a welcome departure. I would have preferred a proven Championship manager initially, and this could go either way, but I believe Bielsa is a risk worth taking. If it works out it will do so spectacularly. I also agree with the idea that he is not coming here to risk his reputation working with the Jay Roy Grots and Caleb Ekubans of this world. He will only be coming if there is significant funds to bring quality players in, so the fact he is in talks is a great sign.
After maybe the lowest point for me supporting Leeds in the last 15 years being the last 6 months, I was beginning to resign myself to the fact we may never regain our status in the Premiership, I have to say that the players and managers we are being linked with the last few weeks is giving me hope. More than that I have a feeling for the first time since relegation all those years ago that we are finally about to flex our muscles and go for it in a way befitting of the biggest club in this league. It's amazing how you can go from the lowest low to the giddy heights in a few weeks and I'm not one who is easily impressed as anyone who reads my posts over the years will know. Finally, just maybe, we may be at the beginning of something special here. Don't let me down Radz!
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

dangermouse wrote:
Gilford_NI_Whites wrote:

There is no way Bielsa will be allowing Victor Orta to choose his players. I would think it will work where Bielsa tells Orta who he wants then Orta goes and tries to get them. That would be a welcome departure. I would have preferred a proven Championship manager initially, and this could go either way, but I believe Bielsa is a risk worth taking. If it works out it will do so spectacularly. I also agree with the idea that he is not coming here to risk his reputation working with the Jay Roy Grots and Caleb Ekubans of this world. He will only be coming if there is significant funds to bring quality players in, so the fact he is in talks is a great sign.
After maybe the lowest point for me supporting Leeds in the last 15 years being the last 6 months, I was beginning to resign myself to the fact we may never regain our status in the Premiership, I have to say that the players and managers we are being linked with the last few weeks is giving me hope. More than that I have a feeling for the first time since relegation all those years ago that we are finally about to flex our muscles and go for it in a way befitting of the biggest club in this league. It's amazing how you can go from the lowest low to the giddy heights in a few weeks and I'm not one who is easily impressed as anyone who reads my posts over the years will know. Finally, just maybe, we may be at the beginning of something special here. Don't let me down Radz!
Two good posts. I'm thinking along similar lines as both of you. I hate the giddy kipper prize but who can blame us for feeling that way when the people at the top table in the club are now taking the right measures to implement a season for success. I have a feeling that if he is given a substantial amount of funds we will be sitting here this time next year celebrating being back in the premiership.

On another note, I wish Pontis Janson would stay well clear of the press and stop stoking the fires of transfer speculation. Honestly the guys a good defender but he is really annoying when it comes to the press, A little love for himself in the wrong way i think he has.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

If, and hopefully he does, Bielsa joins, then I would say, out of the current players at the club, this would be the team most suited to 3-3-1-3.
---------Peacock-Farrell
-----Ayling---Rey---Jansson
Coyle-------Vieira------Pearce
---------------Saiz
Alioski----Edmondson--Clarke

I could also potentially see Struijk getting a decent amount of game time, considering he joined from Ajax, and Bielsa loves a ball playing defender. Rey will certainly be given an opportunity under Bielsa, either at CB or DM. Bielsa is definitely a manager who will look at who he can promote from the youth setup, perhaps at these players are rougher diamonds for him to mould over experienced players - having done so at Newell's and at Bilbao. Albeit the team above does little to solve our height deficit.

We definitely require a goalkeeper, backup or first choice, although I am not sure if the recently linked Stockdale is the right choice. I could see the defence being the area in need of the most improvement to fit Bielsa's style. We have recently been linked with Frederico Venacio - of whom was on loan at Sheffield Wednesday last season. Jansson and Ayling are definitely good enough on the ball, and Bartley is obviously a fan favourite to bring in. I expect we'll sign another CB who can also play DM though. If Coyle is deemed unable to play as an inverted wing back, I actually think that Byram would be perfectly suited to the role, particularly given he was hardly a full back nor a winger who clung to the touchline. Further forward, hopefully Abel Hernandez will join, along with another wide option.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Deleted User 2988

Post by Deleted User 2988 »

SiMamu wrote:If, and hopefully he does, Bielsa joins, then I would say, out of the current players at the club, this would be the team most suited to 3-3-1-3.
---------Peacock-Farrell
-----Ayling---Rey---Jansson
Coyle-------Vieira------Pearce
---------------Saiz
Alioski----Edmondson--Clarke

I could also potentially see Struijk getting a decent amount of game time, considering he joined from Ajax, and Bielsa loves a ball playing defender. Rey will certainly be given an opportunity under Bielsa, either at CB or DM. Bielsa is definitely a manager who will look at who he can promote from the youth setup, perhaps at these players are rougher diamonds for him to mould over experienced players - having done so at Newell's and at Bilbao. Albeit the team above does little to solve our height deficit.

We definitely require a goalkeeper, backup or first choice, although I am not sure if the recently linked Stockdale is the right choice. I could see the defence being the area in need of the most improvement to fit Bielsa's style. We have recently been linked with Frederico Venacio - of whom was on loan at Sheffield Wednesday last season. Jansson and Ayling are definitely good enough on the ball, and Bartley is obviously a fan favourite to bring in. I expect we'll sign another CB who can also play DM though. If Coyle is deemed unable to play as an inverted wing back, I actually think that Byram would be perfectly suited to the role, particularly given he was hardly a full back nor a winger who clung to the touchline. Further forward, hopefully Abel Hernandez will join, along with another wide option.
I cannot see Bielsa, should he join, being content with playing a load of teenagers, whatever his reputation for developing youth and giving them chances. Radz wants promotion, and a coach of Bielsa’s stature won’t be coming here to play a youth team and milling around in mid table. He’s only going to join if he feels he has a chance of promotion; managers of his calibre could get a job in the top flight of any country, so he’s not going to be happy being stuck in the Championship for years on end, and the only way we’re getting out is with investment and a degree of patience.

I see no reason to assume he’d go for this 3-3-1-3 formation anyway. Surely a coach as sophisticated as him will understand that Championship standard players have limits and likely can’t carry out the formation half as well as the players he had with Chile?
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

Today could be the announcement of three things according to some articles iv'e read.

Firstly as Elland Road hosts the England verses Costa Rica game, Bielsa being announced as the new club manager/head coach

Secondly, the capture of Abel Hernandez on a free which is close to completion.

Thirdly, the announcement of a new kit design.

While i am wanting to throw in fully behind all three being done I am hopeful. Capturing Hernandez is a great asset and one that excites me. he's quick, a goal machine and my only worry is his injuries which he picks up too often.
Bielsa is the biggest coup of all in my opinion. Some think that he wouldn't fit for many reasons such as the Championship is different to what he's used to prior and they might be right, but This appointment would be the biggest signing for Leeds United in 15 years.

He actually does develop young players and does like his own signings which we should see Orta take a back seat with. :clap: :clap: :clap: In some ways he is a better man manager than Colin is but has the steel inside him to galvanize a squad of players to play the system. I'm positive about Rad'z background work and if Bielsa does join then I'm sure we will see some exciting players entering Elland Road in the coming weeks.

There money coming from somewhere Bielsa (I think Radz would have something up his sleeve) Bielsa would expect that also so that he could add the players to this system, being honest i think some of them will already in the U23 squad already, We have some very technically gifted players there that need introducing to the first team this season. Bielsa will do wonders here. If not then i expect the team to languish in the Championship for another ten years until a new owner with visionary and passion for being a winner.