As a forum do we think BIELSA is the right man ?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

Is he

Yes he's the man
66%
I have my doubts
34%
I don't want him at the club
1%

Total votes: 137

dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: As a forum do we think BIELSA is the right man ?

Post by dlw10 »

Barlow Boy wrote:No wonder that translator guy was drinking water as if it was going to be his last, my word that was long.

That said, I enjoyed it. He clearly knows his stuff, thinks before he speaks and is obviously a very intelligent chap. The players are clearly going to be working hard, and whilst wanting to ship out 15 players seems excessive, I’m pretty sure we could all put a list of 15 players together and they would be very similar.

A very minor point, but one thing I liked was that the press conference started pretty much bang on it’s scheduled start time (TC’s and Heckingbottom’s we’re both late).
Agree all you said there.But one thing that irks me is that the actually press conference still didn't seem that professionally organised to me. The way Radz did his intro and then sort of ran out of words before just making way for the translator just seemed tacky to me. It's not the first time I've been surprised at the lack of organisation - at the end of the day I know it's content not presentation that matters but even so. Then there was the way they let the journos go on and on about Argentina - someone should have stepped in and reminded them why they were there and got the thing back on track. Minor stuff, but just gives the wrong impression.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

SKY have a programme called Leading Leeds United airing on Thursday night at 8pm. It’s on the SKY Sports Football channel.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Barlow Boy wrote:SKY have a programme called Leading Leeds United airing on Thursday night at 8pm. It’s on the SKY Sports Football channel.
Won't allow me to record it though. Anyone have this problem?
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

kk_white wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:SKY have a programme called Leading Leeds United airing on Thursday night at 8pm. It’s on the SKY Sports Football channel.
It’s allowing to record it, or at least it is for the time being.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Barlow Boy wrote:
kk_white wrote:
It’s allowing to record it, or at least it is for the time being.
Just worked now after 3 days of trying... BB, you're brilliant :wave:
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
MOT1964
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by MOT1964 »

SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

From his 1st press conference:-

And that's it!

45 minutes in total with Marcelo Bielsa who was extremely interesting and very happy to field lots of questions. Striker Patrick Bamford up next in about ten minutes.

The challenge of getting Leeds back to the Premier League

I always manage the challenge with the emotion that it produces in me. Having been coach of Newell's Old Boys was the most happiest moment in my career. I worked there two times and they were very big challenges. I worked also in Bilbao which is a unique reference. I worked also in Marsielle and it is impossible that the atmosphere of the stadium doesn't move the people who go there. I am sure this possibility will have many ingredients similar to the club I just mentioned. Football is a surge for strong emotions and at the end of the day with football what you remember is emotions. It's better to have emotions than count money. Sometimes we learn this late. When you have enough money, emotions are a lot more important.

Bielsa now cracking jokes

The rules say that after half an hour we have to end the press conference because after 30 minutes the attention decreases. So please don't feel bored!

Bielsa now cracking jokes

The rules say that after half an hour we have to end the press conference because after 30 minutes the attention decreases. So please don't feel bored!

Why did you come to this job?

The project of Leeds, the line of work that Victor Orta proposed to me, the history of the club, the importance of the club, the support of the president to my ideas, made me think that this possibility to work here was bigger than I deserved. When they proposed to me something bigger than I deserved than I take it as a challenge.

Another of Bielsa - 35 minutes in now and everyone is loving it

Why did you come to this job?

The project of Leeds, the line of work that Victor Orta proposed to me, the history of the club, the importance of the club, the support of the president to my ideas, made me think that this possibility to work here was bigger than I deserved. When they proposed to me something bigger than I deserved than I take it as a challenge.

Bielsa on the fans

I was well received by the fans. I visited a big fair where we had 60,000 people and this allowed me to get to know the region where I am now. In Argentina I live in the countryside and there are many similarities in Yorkshire.

Are this week's new signings fit enough to feature?

Yes. We analysed the work they did with their former clubs and we think they are fit enough to be in the group.

What did you think to the friendlies?

I don't want to give a lot of importance to the pre season games. We still have two days to show what we are able to do.

And here he is!

Will Vieira be replaced?

Usually I express my point of view on a decision. I am not sure if another player will come in for Ronaldo or not. What makes it more complicated is that Adam will be out for six to eight weeks so we will have to think about it.

Bielsa on the squad

We evaluated the season and our conclusions - mine and those of the club were similar. And the club decided more or less that 15 players could go and I agreed with the names of the players could go. I saw all the games of all the players but i didn't train them. It was important that the club and myself reached the same conclusions because my conclusion would have not been sufficient and the club had to take into account my point if view too. Taking this into account we took decisions together and more or less for each group of three players that could go, we had a player coming in. So we added to the group some youngsters and we have a group of 25 players which is enough.

Bielsa on Vieira

The club decided to sell him and I adapt to this decision. I can't say that he is not a good player, he is a good player. If Sampdoria bought Ronaldo it indicated he is a good player and the sale of Ronaldo happens at the same time as the injury of another player Forshaw in a similar position. But we can find a solution.

Enough centre backs

Berardi, Jansson, Cooper, Shaughnessy, Ayling - we have these players. Even if we have just Cooper and Jansson as central backs, Shaughnessy is a defensive midfielder but he can play as a centre back too. Berardi can play as a centre back and Phillips can. Ayling has played as a centre back. But if we could add another option in the centre of defence that would be good too.

Who will be no 1?

Farrell will be the goalkeeper. During the whole season there will be a competition between our three goalkeepers - Farrell, Blackman and Huffer. The fitness of Farrell today is superior to Blackman's but it's not the only reason. We will do what we have to do to get Blackman fit, it's an obligation so this will be the scenario.

Bielsa on the attention on him

Leeds and its history, if we compare the history of Leeds with my own history we will find out that the media attention regarding myself is not very important.
Is he nervous: "There is always tension when you have competition and if there is no tension I would be worried. The first game is our first challenge that will be able to show what we are able to do."

Bielsa on Jansson - he won't start on Sunday

"I don't think he will be a starter. He had three weeks vacation, he came back six days ago and I had to take this into account."

Bielsa on Gary Rowett and Stoke

The rival is interesting for me. But I don't consider details as a priority.
Are Stoke the toughest: "It's a strong rival but it would be risky to say it's the most important rival before the season because sometimes what we imagined before the season starts doesn't happen, doesn't occur. It's very hard to predict, I wouldn't dare to predict."

Bielsa on Phillips at centre back

The dynamic of the game, makes that the player above the tactical scheme. Sometimes he has to play in different zones of the pitch and if different positions. A defensive midfielder for example can become a third centre back. It's the result of the dynamics of the game and it's also the product of a fixed scheme of three centre backs. Kalvin Phillips doesn't have a problem playing in both positions. Last pre-season the team never played with three centre backs but during last season he also had to play as a third centre back when the evolution of the game demanded it.

'Heart, mind and legs'

My style is not better or worse than others. It's the style I can transmit because it's the style I believe in. You cannot convince players if you do not truly believe what you say. The footballers are a mix of three things - heart, mind and legs.

Bielsa on the project

We want to impose our style and the idea is to play in the opponent's side. That means we will dominate our opponent if we can impose this idea. Our idea is to attack more than to defend. We try to link the three lines of our team without making any long balls or playing any long balls. These are our goals. But the opponent - there are moments in the game - could make us do things different to those that we planned.

Bielsa on Stoke

"We always imagined that we would have a hard game. It's always the same message, we have to show our fans that we are ambitious."

Bielsa on Forshaw

On Forshaw: "He will be back in about six to eight weeks. I could specify but it's not my speciality. He had an injury on the ligament of his foot. It's a bizarre injury. It's not bad news for the team because Adam Forshaw is a big player, a great player. But it's not very bad news because we have other solutions to this position."

Bielsa:

"We have a project and we know what we want to do. I am glad with all the work we have done so far. Of course we will have a better idea when we see the competition."
Is he happy with the squad: "I am happy with the team and if we can have some more players I will accept it."

Bielsa starts in English!

I want to say that my English is bad, I would be embarrassed if I heard me speaking it. But I will improve.

From the YEP.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

A great watch that, it’s going to be one hell of a ride this season.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I think Phillips could actually be a good fit at the back as he's a unit anyway, so why not utilise some of those physical attributes ?

It's more about concentration than anything and that's not something he's always excelled at, but from personal experience I know it's much easier to play there than in the middle of the park where you have two jobs to do, not just the one ..