As a forum do we think BIELSA is the right man ?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

Is he

Yes he's the man
66%
I have my doubts
34%
I don't want him at the club
1%

Total votes: 137

Deleted User 5081

Re: As a forum do we think Biesla is the right man ?

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Can't understand why he hasn't flown over to sort his contract out. This is turning into such a long process, surely things would be quicker if he was here in person
I think he has had a few prior engagements in Mexico and in Uruguay over the past week or so that he took care of first while leaving his trusted agent to deal with communicating with LUFC officials.
Ricardo Da Lepp
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Ricardo Da Lepp »

He is an interesting appointment but whether he will be the right one I am not that confident about.

He has managed at a high level but is his experience relevant at this level and with our club in its current status? I just can't see it working.

His lack of English language skills is a concern - if the squad is to remain a largely English-language based one. If it isn't going to remain English-based then is it likely to be successful? I suppose it worked at Watford.

My overall feeling is that he is probably going to turn out to be the managerial equivalent of the player that Alex Sabella turned out to be. Technically very good but just not right for us in our current situation and at the current time. It just doesn't feel right somehow.

I hope he is able to adapt and show that he can manage a team like ours in the Championship. To that end I wish him every success.
MOT1964
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by MOT1964 »

Guillem Balague
@GuillemBalague
Not true Bielsa has work permit as that will come when/if he signs contract that is now in his brother's hands, a top level lawyer in communication with Leeds. Club very hopeful of things moving positively but no timetable to when confirmation (or the opposite) will take place

12:23 pm · 14 Jun 2018
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

rigger wrote:Please, please, please stop with the Big Sam love in.
I've tried really hard to keep quiet during all this, but no more : the guy's a thug with no class and I'd rather sell my soul to the devil.
Oh no, wait .. we would be doing exactly that if we hired him.

He's a deceitful man who should never get a job anywhere in top flight football the way he's behaved.

Anyway, that aside I'm with Zig totally on all this and am very excited by the prospect of Bielsa running our club and I particularly liked his line about Wilko and the timing of it all.

Any card-carrying FM-player would feel the same way, in fact anyone who considers himself a student of the game rather than someone who just follows football would be wetting their pants at the thought of this tactical genius turning up at their club for a match as opposition coach let along running their own team !

If you want a musical analogy, it's like James Brown appearing in your home town after spending your life listening to hip hop and RnB ...
Don’t love his football but quite frankly don’t understand your completely over the top comments. ... He has a proven track record (in the real world of English football) of getting sides up / taking over problem clubs and achieving success on a relatively low budget and at various levels. His brand of ‘anti football’ has resulted in his clubs finishing on par or ahead of expectations (just below the top six) which he achieved at Bolton, Newcastle, Blackburn, West Ham and Everton; he also turned around the basket case that is Sunderland.

Whilst I would know Sams video game ranking, my observations of the championship lead me to believe managers and players who may have had success in other leagues, and indeed might flourish in the premiership often find the division a complete and utter culture shock often can’t or at very least need time to adapt.

Bielsa May hit the ground running, and I hope he does. He may however go the way of Sven who was a similar high profile appointment at leicster. Ultimately it may depend on the players he recruits and whilst most have been crying out for players with proven championship pedigree I suspect will see more alioskis and less snodgrasses recruited given Bielsas limited knowledge of the British game atm.

As regards sams off the field antics quite frankly I couldn’t give a monkeys, as long as he brings us success he certainly no worse than say a Ryan giggs or Alan pardew.
Deleted User 2988

Post by Deleted User 2988 »

I’d also go out on a limb here and say fancy tactics don’t get you promoted from the Championship, and that’s kind of Bielsa’s whole attraction. Wolves didn’t go up because they outfoxed teams with their tactical ingenuity, they won promotion because their squad had the best (and most expensive) players. Cardiff didn’t go up by playing superb attacking football with exotic formations, they simply grafted their way there by being organised, determined, and competitive.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

isrodger wrote:
rigger wrote:Please, please, please stop with the Big Sam love in.
I've tried really hard to keep quiet during all this, but no more : the guy's a thug with no class and I'd rather sell my soul to the devil.
Oh no, wait .. we would be doing exactly that if we hired him.

He's a deceitful man who should never get a job anywhere in top flight football the way he's behaved.

Anyway, that aside I'm with Zig totally on all this and am very excited by the prospect of Bielsa running our club and I particularly liked his line about Wilko and the timing of it all.

Any card-carrying FM-player would feel the same way, in fact anyone who considers himself a student of the game rather than someone who just follows football would be wetting their pants at the thought of this tactical genius turning up at their club for a match as opposition coach let along running their own team !

If you want a musical analogy, it's like James Brown appearing in your home town after spending your life listening to hip hop and RnB ...
Don’t love his football but quite frankly don’t understand your completely over the top comments. ... He has a proven track record (in the real world of English football) of getting sides up / taking over problem clubs and achieving success on a relatively low budget and at various levels. His brand of ‘anti football’ has resulted in his clubs finishing on par or ahead of expectations (just below the top six) which he achieved at Bolton, Newcastle, Blackburn, West Ham and Everton; he also turned around the basket case that is Sunderland.

Whilst I would know Sams video game ranking, my observations of the championship lead me to believe managers and players who may have had success in other leagues, and indeed might flourish in the premiership often find the division a complete and utter culture shock often can’t or at very least need time to adapt.

Bielsa May hit the ground running, and I hope he does. He may however go the way of Sven who was a similar high profile appointment at leicster. Ultimately it may depend on the players he recruits and whilst most have been crying out for players with proven championship pedigree I suspect will see more alioskis and less snodgrasses recruited given Bielsas limited knowledge of the British game atm.

As regards sams off the field antics quite frankly I couldn’t give a monkeys, as long as he brings us success he certainly no worse than say a Ryan giggs or Alan pardew.
Can I ask at what point do the scales tip to "no I wouldn't want him" because of his off field antics. What would he have to do to say this?
Last edited by Davycc on 14 Jun 2018, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

I'll admit to knowing very little about Bielsa before 2 weeks ago, but have read as much as i could about him since.
In fairness, it seems his main tactic is to press high, hard and for 90+ minutes. Sounds like the perfect plan for Championsip to me.
He isn't overly rigid with his famous 3313 formation.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

kk_white wrote:I'll admit to knowing very little about Bielsa before 2 weeks ago, but have read as much as i could about him since.
In fairness, it seems his main tactic is to press high, hard and for 90+ minutes. Sounds like the perfect plan for Championsip to me.
The only issue with his pressing game is that it will be ridiculously hard to do that over 46 games in a league which is extremely demanding, physically. He's gonna need a Plan B, C etc
Deleted User 2988

Post by Deleted User 2988 »

kk_white wrote:I'll admit to knowing very little about Bielsa before 2 weeks ago, but have read as much as i could about him since.
As dominanceUK said, that might work for the first few months, but it’s not feasible long term. Add to the fact that these are Championship standard players (unless we suddenly start signing Premier League quality) - they’re not infallible, hence why they’re at this level. Only takes one player not to press or to drop off or lose concentration, and in that sort of system there’s no hiding. I hope I’m wrong but I think Bielsa’s in for a hell of a culture shock.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

If we got big Sam, we would have to get used to playing for a draw every game (even at home against the bottom of the league) but hoping for a 1 - 0 win via a breakaway goal. Ask any Everton supporter.
I once played against Don Revie.