As a forum do we think BIELSA is the right man ?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

Is he

Yes he's the man
66%
I have my doubts
34%
I don't want him at the club
1%

Total votes: 137

Deleted User 2988

Re: As a forum do we think Biesla is the right man ?

Post by Deleted User 2988 »

Can’t help but wonder if the 49’s investment figure is all going on Bielsa’s contract. It was about £10m, if I’m not mistaken - over a three year contract, I’d imagine that’d be Bielsa’s salary, or thereabouts.

Hopefully he’s been promised additional funds for the playing squad.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Latest news is that the draft terms/contract that he handed to LUFC is for a 1 year deal, with option of a 2nd...
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

I want to see it really and actually happen before I will believe and accept that Biesla has the helm.
kk_white wrote:
Yep. He has no choice but to support him.
If he gets here and he is not supported, Biesla will be off like a shot and without any ceremony.

To make it all work it will need sensible heads all around - a characteristic not normally associated with Leeds United!

:lol:
Keep The Faith / WAL
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

Is there anyone else feeling a little bit apprehensive about the whole Bielsa thing dragging on too much? If not that, is there anyone feeling a little uncomfortable with handing too much power to a manager? basically like were hung over a barrel to get him in otherwise?

Don't get me wrong, I want him in as much as anyone but not at any cost either. This could all turn pear shaped very quickly if we don't put our money where our mouth is and he could up and leave on a whim. Reminds me of chasing that spectacular looking girl when your a teenager and when she finally accepts your charm and charisma she goes on one date with you and your left feeling wow i have a real smashing looking girl, only to be told the next day via a friend of hers that your dumped for reasons unknown to you.

Chasing Bielsa is the right option in principle, we have been crying out for a manager of his ilk for years, but there is also a line that must be drawn on how far we can chase someone without looking like idiots at the end of the chase. His reputation is what we need and his no nonsense approach too, but are we playing Russian Roulette with a guy that can up and walk so easily if we don't do as he asks.

I'm a little concerned that it could go wrong is all even though I'm delighted if we capture him and it really does work out for all concerned. A one year contract with an additional 12 months is another concern. But it is what it is. Can't wait to see what transfers will be brought in when he does come.
zigzag
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by zigzag »

Cork, I agree.

The longer this drags on the more apprehensive I get, and if even at this late stage it falls through then we do look like we have have been on a desparate chase and been strung along (to continue the analagy just like I was many with those pretty girls all those years ago).

I too would also rather have more than a 1 year deal, but I guess Bielsa sees this as a safety net if the club do not follow through on what will have been agreed in discussions, at that stage he can just call it a day citing broken promises (though his track record on that indicates if that were to be the case then he would walk immediately). If the club does what has been agreed then the option of year 2 is there on the table. I dont think the move is a gamble for Bielsa, but I can understand that with our recent history that he wants assurances, lots of them, and the more of those there are the more likely it is that one or two will not be met, whether they are deal breakers to Bielsa causing him to walk away either in a year or beforehand remains to be seen.

I still think this is a great move for us, but like a child at Christmas I cant wait much longer.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

zigzag wrote:I've been keeping my powder dry on Bielsa as I wanted this to happen so much I did not want to jump the gun. But now it looks almost certain that he's here I couldn’t be happier, this is the manger I've been most excited about since Wilko, this is the manager I've been waiting for, this could and should be the most significant signing since Wilko. Ill caveat with but this is Leeds and this is Bielsa a potentially dangerous cocktail that could go horribly wrong. But it wont, I have faith.

Here's a dozen reasons why am I so happy……….
1) firstly this appointment shows a statement of intent, that the club after many years now looks as if its serious about progressing. It’s a statement of intent to fans, to players, to future investors, the appointment is a statement of intent, we are serious, we are on an upward spiral, this guy can do the job, we are backing him, we know that last season wasn’t good enough
2) Bielsa has a reputation as a coach and tactician, the existing players should recognise that and want to play for him, additionally his coaching ability should bring on those players, consequently we can expect much better performances from those who stay (of course there will be those who don't recognise or respond his methods, and those who are unable to meet his standards, they will have to be moved on, but we all know that some players aren't upto scratch for a serious tilt at promotion)
3) he brings worldwide credibility, this will help attract higher calibre players to the club, as a player would you chose a club managed by Heck or Hock or one managed by Bielsa
4) his appointment looks as if it signifies a breaking of the pay structure, he wont be cheap, nor will the players he wishes to have in his squad, we haven't appointed him to recruit players who are only worth £15k pw
5) his playing style excites me, if nothing else it will be an entertaining watch
6) he is meticulous, the courtship has been long, but he's made sure all the framework is in place to do it his way, we have needed a hard nosed, detailed man, who will leave nothing to chance
7) he doesn’t look like he will shy away from telling the players the truth (nor the fans and board for that matter)
8) the relegation of Orta away from first team signings as I cant believe the Bielsa will not want total control over first team recruitment. Orta should have been told that last years first team signings weren't good enough although it looks to me like Orta may be able to do a job recruiting younger players to the u23s who can after a season or so break into the first team squad
9) although he may be prone to walk out if he doesn’t get his way he has worked in high pressure high expectation environments and to succeed there you do things your own way
10) the guy has a presence on the touchline, in the dressing room, around the club, that commands respect
11) he is a large step up from what we have had over the last 10-15 years
12) and finally, just like Wilko, it feels like the right appointment at the right time

I cant wait for the season to start.
I hope your right but to counter your post

1. Yes but he’s unproven in the uk... not known to the uk based players
2. Coaching may be difficult when he doesn’t speak English
3. True - but not sure how credible he is to championship players
4. Can we afford £80k a week on a manager ... is this another number 2s or bust scenario
5. Yes your right not sure we have the personnel or the championship is the right stage. Whilst I much prefer Guardiola as Leeds manager I honestly believe Mourinho would be more successful in the championship.
6 & 7 . True but all this can be lost in translation communication is key to management and he no speaky de English.
8. But does he know who’s right for the championship. We need a Kyle bartly I fear we will sign a Spanish second division David Luiz

I hope your right my friend, but for £4m a season I would have preferred David Wagner, Shaun Dyce, the lad at Fulham or big Sam.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Please, please, please stop with the Big Sam love in.
I've tried really hard to keep quiet during all this, but no more : the guy's a thug with no class and I'd rather sell my soul to the devil.
Oh no, wait .. we would be doing exactly that if we hired him.

He's a deceitful man who should never get a job anywhere in top flight football the way he's behaved.

Anyway, that aside I'm with Zig totally on all this and am very excited by the prospect of Bielsa running our club and I particularly liked his line about Wilko and the timing of it all.

Any card-carrying FM-player would feel the same way, in fact anyone who considers himself a student of the game rather than someone who just follows football would be wetting their pants at the thought of this tactical genius turning up at their club for a match as opposition coach let along running their own team !

If you want a musical analogy, it's like James Brown appearing in your home town after spending your life listening to hip hop and RnB ...
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Can't understand why he hasn't flown over to sort his contract out. This is turning into such a long process, surely things would be quicker if he was here in person
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Can't understand why he hasn't flown over to sort his contract out. This is turning into such a long process, surely things would be quicker if he was here in person
Nope. Everything's done digitally these days anyway .. won't make any difference at all, I don't think.

I've signed actual real world work contracts online by using a scan of my signature :D
Deleted User 2988

Post by Deleted User 2988 »

rigger wrote:Please, please, please stop with the Big Sam love in.
I've tried really hard to keep quiet during all this, but no more : the guy's a thug with no class and I'd rather sell my soul to the devil.
Oh no, wait .. we would be doing exactly that if we hired him.

He's a deceitful man who should never get a job anywhere in top flight football the way he's behaved.
Good job we’re not in the top flight then, eh?

Joking aside, I don’t disagree, but it’s naive to think he’s not the only one. I’d imagine a large percentage of Premier League managers (as well as those abroard and in lower divisions) have done the same or similar things.