A question of balance ..

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: A question of balance ..

Post by isrodger »

The mike Thornton piece is accurate to my knowledge.

Vydra might still happen.... very much down to Derbys approach. Whilst Mel Morris is minted FFP & HMRC misdemeanours are impacting the clubs abilty to continue to invest in the playing squad. Stadium sponsorship which was accounted for never happened...CEO sacked to deflect attention, and distance the owner from decisions he knew about. Derby clearly want shut of Vydra... does Lampard (the club) make it clear he won’t be plAying if he stays and therefore the players ability to earn the salary Leeds were offering will disappear next summer? Or will a Newcastle step in at the last minute to back up their squad and offer him a £50k per week salary with little hope of playing.

The real disappointing one for me is Bartley... clearly Bielsa didn’t want him..... my judgement re the championship is he is wrong... hopefully I will be proved wrong.

One thought I do think there will be lots of loans done after the window shuts. Could see Vydra coming in on loan with agreement to buy, once the premiership option has lapsed.
rss1969
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by rss1969 »

Bielsa is going to have a shock if he thinks CM can play as CB away at Millwall or Sheff Utd (and plenty of others).

He is probably aware of this and will bring in a CB but the best seasons follow early recruitment. We know this from our own history..........clubs will pay extra to get deals done early and squads aligned. We are leaving things very (suspiciously)late.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

isrodger wrote: The real disappointing one for me is Bartley... clearly Bielsa didn’t want him..... my judgement re the championship is he is wrong... hopefully I will be proved wrong.
I think you may be being a bit harsh on Bielsa there, mate.
His injury record is poor and when you want to foster a small squad with everyone getting lots of game time you really can't afford to indulge someone who may be out for long stretches of the season, especially not in a key position like centre-half.

He'd better bloody sign someone there though. It could be argued two of the three player slots should be to play at the back !
alwaysleeds
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by alwaysleeds »

To me, I have a feeling that we have a sound strategy of how to deal with money. We have too, if we are going to be back in the Premier League - and then stay there!

We have invested in young talent, and to me we nearly have all the players we need to go forward. I totally agree that we don't need that many new players that many think we need.

We already have the goalkeepers, we have the fullbacks, we have the centrebacks, the midfielders, wingers and strikers. If we learn to think deeper into the squad. The rest is up to the right coach. And there we haven't been so lucky during the years. We often starts with the wrong team for different matches, we don't have the right timing for the right players. In terms of form and strategy.

Perhaps Bielsa is the right man - during his two matches agains Forest Green and York he shows positive signs to be the right person on the right spot!

Now we just have to wait for Robbie Gotts, Bryce Hosannah, Pascal Struijk, Bobby Kamwa, Callum Nicell, Samuel Amissah, Oliver Sarkic and Kun Temenushkov. Then we are talking!
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

I don't think we have width at all, a real problem area for me. Alioski and Dallas offer width, that's it. More often than not Alioski comes inside looking for Saiz or Hernandez. I would like to see us sign someone who is direct and has pace, take players on, get to the by-line etc. Last season, more often than not we were very predictable in our forward play.
Daz5
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Daz5 »

Oooooh oooooh like a Sacko type player !!!!!
Gilford_NI_Whites
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Gilford_NI_Whites »

There's been a sea of change at ER from last season. It looks like the powers that be, have realised that you can't do it on the cheap, with players from some lower league. That's a positive step.

It also looks like they identified a top manager and some decent players in Vydra etc. They got the manager and have reportedly given him a high wage for his services.

I think this is why we are having difficulties in the transfer market. If Vydra upped his wage demand, was it after our managers contract being revealed? Do players at the level we are now looking (Or were looking at) think we are back to the Ridsdale days?

So if we are not getting these players, why do we not have any other of their similar talent lined up? We seem to be back to bring linked with players that we would previously...

We need other players. The balance of the squad is not there. Up front we are lacking. The team are not good enough for the play offs. We can't afford any injuries or red cards.

We need to get signings in. Urgently.