Season preview

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
thehopethatkillsyou
Giddy Kipper

Season preview

Post by thehopethatkillsyou »

Hi

I’m launching a new blog focussed on The Championship for this season.

For my season preview, I’m keen to profile a kind of ‘insider’s view’ on the prospects of each 24 clubs for the next season. So, with that being said, I’d really appreciate a bit of an overview of how you think your season is likely to go? How’s it shaping up/where do you need to strengthen/who do you need to keep hold of/where do you think you’ll finish, etc. Any and all feedback would be much appreciated.

I’ll let you know once the blog is live, and hopefully you’ll have a spare few minutes to have a read and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance, any help you can give me will be massively appreciated.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Season preview

Post by SiMamu »

In terms of how this season is likely to go, it is very much dependant on whether we bring in the three new players we are looking to acquire. If the right players are brought in up top, at centre back and out wide, we could definitely push for the playoffs at least - especially with a manager of Bielsa's quality in charge. Otherwise, it could just be another season of midtable mediocrity, unless Bielsa performs a coaching miracle with the players we still have. I still believe we are trying to address the problem positions, it is just that bringing the right players is taking more time than expected. Only players we might be worried about losing are Jansson and Vieira, and I expect both will stay.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

SiMamu wrote:In terms of how this season is likely to go, it is very much dependant on whether we bring in the three new players we are looking to acquire. If the right players are brought in up top, at centre back and out wide, we could definitely push for the playoffs at least - especially with a manager of Bielsa's quality in charge. Otherwise, it could just be another season of midtable mediocrity, unless Bielsa performs a coaching miracle with the players we still have. I still believe we are trying to address the problem positions, it is just that bringing the right players is taking more time than expected. Only players we might be worried about losing are Jansson and Vieira, and I expect both will stay.
Spot on SiMamu. I'll add to that by saying we need a lot of luck on the injury front and we need to be very disciplined on the pitch to avoid stupid suspensions which cost us a lot last season. Hopefully with MB at the helm, the latter will be avoided.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Think what Dominance says is spot on we need to get lucky with injuries and avoid stupid suspensions. I think our team is better than many give it credit for but its depth we lack.
Think Roberts will be a big plus and Baker is a very good player. Ayling back at his best is a bonus (should be captain in my eyes).
Think under MB we will see Vierra and Phillips improve their distribution which both need to do. I can also see him getting more out of Roofe and a few others.
Think the team will be fitter and we could win a few games late on, have seen signs of improved fitness levels in the 3 friendlies we have played.

Saying all that would love to see a solid CB and striker join the ranks.

Can't wait for it to start to be honest.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

I tend not to make up mind about the new season until the end of October, until the dust settles down. Pre Season, I would take the "Bird in the Hand" approach because those in charge of wheeling and dealing etc. have treated us fans like mushrooms for more years than I can remember.

With the squad that we have at the moment and with a Head Coach that in theory has a magical wand I think that we will finish in the same general area of the table as we did last season with a margin of perhaps around a 3 place margin either way.

To win promotion from the Championship you need a perfect storm which comprises at least:
- A tactically aware coach
- A good goalkeeper
- A defence that does not leak goals and contributes to the goals tally
- A solid midfield with creativity and contributes to the goals tally
- At least one striker that nets 20 plus goals and another not far behind
- At 2 or 3 leaders on the pitch
- A settled team, avoiding serious injuries / suspensions
- A winning mentality

We are at the moment a number of the ingredients short. Miracles sometimes happen- just look at what Leicester City did.
Keep The Faith / WAL
Deleted User 2988

Post by Deleted User 2988 »

PhoenixUnited wrote:I tend not to make up mind about the new season until the end of October, until the dust settles down. Pre Season, I would take the "Bird in the Hand" approach because those in charge of wheeling and dealing etc. have treated us fans like mushrooms for more years than I can remember.

With the squad that we have at the moment and with a Head Coach that in theory has a magical wand I think that we will finish in the same general area of the table as we did last season with a margin of perhaps around a 3 place margin either way.

To win promotion from the Championship you need a perfect storm which comprises at least:
- A good goalkeeper
- A winning mentality

We are at the moment a number of the ingredients short. Miracles sometimes happen- just look at what Leicester City did.
This is a complete and utter myth. Firstly, I couldn’t give a monkey’s backside if none of our strikers scored all season if Ayling hit 30. The days of relying on strikers to score all your goals are well and truly over, which in fairness you did allude to elsewhere in your post.

Secondly, and arguably more pertinently, it’s not an accurate claim. Wolves’ top scorer Jota managed 17 (not far off 20, but not the figure you claimed necessary), and their second highest was Bonatini on 12. Again, not massively far off but not exactly the figures you’re suggesting are required.

Let’s look at Cardiff - their top (league) scorer was a defender-converted-midfielder, Callum Paterson, with a paltry 10! Their highest scoring striker, Zohore, managed 9.

Fulham had Sessegnon with 16, followed by Mitrovic with 12, but admittedly if Mitrovic had been with them all season I think it’s fair to say he would’ve broken the 20 goal barrier, so they would’ve fit your paradigm. They only went up through the play offs, though!

Point is, goals are no longer the exclusive responsibility of strikers. Giroud for France at the World Cup helped prove this. If the rest of the team are scoring goals and winning games, we don’t need a 20 goal a season striker to get promoted, it’s a complete myth.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Good point made Kiwi and we do have players in our midfield that have proven they are capable of helping the goals tally along.
I believe Alioski, Hernandez and Philips all scored 7 last term with Saiz adding 5. I'm sure we have plenty of others such as Dallas and Vierra that will chip in with a few given the chance.

Sure we would all like to see a goal machine up front but if it doesn't happen all the squad will just have to roll up their sleeves and deal with it. Saying that I expect Roofe to get double figures given enough games.
I was never convinced Vydra would have been the one anyway, only averages one goal every three matches.

My biggest concern is defence we just seem too thin on the ground, injuries or suspensions will kill us.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Blimey, have you been out in the sun Kiwi? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
kiwi wrote:
................... I couldn’t give a monkey’s backside if none of our strikers scored all season if Ayling hit 30.
Another 50 goals from the rest of the team would give us a fighting chance in the higher places of the league. :o

I think where I am coming from is that in a Perfect Storm situation a prolific striker is a real boon. The opposing defenders spend a lot of their resources worrying and trying to cope with someone like that which in turn gives more time and space to the striker’s teammates. The one that comes to mind in the recent past is Gayle at Newcastle when they went up in 2017.

Also essential is a solid defence that does not let them in at the other end. In our situation at the moment we have a couple of defenders that would meet requirements to compete at this level in Jansson and Ayling - both that need to get back to the form of the season before last - but the rest are either simply not up to scratch or youngsters perhaps not experienced enough.

However I take the point though that goal difference is the key and contributions to the goal tally from the defence and midfielders are an essential component; a good striker would be a cherry on the cake.

A Perfect Storm is about as realistic as Ayling getting 30 :P
Keep The Faith / WAL
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Deleted User 2988 wrote:
PhoenixUnited wrote:I tend not to make up mind about the new season until the end of October, until the dust settles down. Pre Season, I would take the "Bird in the Hand" approach because those in charge of wheeling and dealing etc. have treated us fans like mushrooms for more years than I can remember.

- A good goalkeeper
- A winning mentality

This is a complete and utter myth. Firstly, I couldn’t give a monkey’s backside if none of our strikers scored all season if Ayling hit 30. The days of relying on strikers to score all your goals are well and truly over, which in fairness you did allude to elsewhere in your post.

Secondly, and arguably more pertinently, it’s not an accurate claim. Wolves’ top scorer Jota managed 17 (not far off 20, but not the figure you claimed necessary), and their second highest was Bonatini on 12. Again, not massively far off but not exactly the figures you’re suggesting are required.

Let’s look at Cardiff - their top (league) scorer was a defender-converted-midfielder, Callum Paterson, with a paltry 10! Their highest scoring striker, Zohore, managed 9.

Fulham had Sessegnon with 16, followed by Mitrovic with 12, but admittedly if Mitrovic had been with them all season I think it’s fair to say he would’ve broken the 20 goal barrier, so they would’ve fit your paradigm. They only went up through the play offs, though!

Point is, goals are no longer the exclusive responsibility of strikers. Giroud for France at the World Cup helped prove this. If the rest of the team are scoring goals and winning games, we don’t need a 20 goal a season striker to get promoted, it’s a complete myth.
Hey KIwi (if you still read),
Really sorry to see you delete your thread.
Personally whether I'd agree or disagree with things you said I considered you a excellent contributor on this forum and enjoyed your posts.
You always tried to be factual and created posts for good debate and thats what the forum should be about.
Take care :thumbup:
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

Selby White wrote:
Deleted User 2988 wrote:

- A good goalkeeper
- A winning mentality

Hey KIwi (if you still read),
Really sorry to see you delete your thread.
Personally whether I'd agree or disagree with things you said I considered you a excellent contributor on this forum and enjoyed your posts.
You always tried to be factual and created posts for good debate and thats what the forum should be about.
Take care :thumbup:
Agreed, Kiwi always had that knack of making me see it from a different perspective after reading his posts. Shame really.