Toby Nye

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 5081

Re: Toby Nye

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

rigger wrote:That's fair comment and I respect you for showing the other side to the headline.
It now just makes me mad at the media for going for the clickbait / paper sales..

how easy for the Media to do that as well. Not saying what she did was right and i'm not saying the press were wrong either, but sometimes people are only too happy to shoot someone down and the clickbaiting is a terrible way of getting someone lynched.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Oldfox wrote:When I first saw this story I thought this was a callous evil act, but that was based on my knee jerk reaction to the naked headline. On reflection there are mitigating circumstances. I cannot begin to imagine the mental torture a mother would go through to see her son slowly die of a terrible terminal disease. I cannot imagine the anguish of her holding his hand to comfort him and tell him it will all be fine whilst in the back of her mind she knew there was really no hope. I did not understand how the mind can be affected by mental health issues until two years go and that the first thing to go is clarity and rational thought. In this state of mind she may have thought she could increase the pot for his treatment via gambling. She may have found the actual act of gambling a temporary release from her torture. The mental stress and strain of watching your child die would have damaged even the strongest mind. She may have thought the very slim chance that the money would do any good would be enhanced by winning. The police have said Toby was not affected in any way by the crime so she saw he was the best he could be first. I really do not feel I can condem her without having experienced the unbearable torture she would have been put through.
A very good post Oldfox. I wish I had posted it but, of course, I didn't think beyond the headline.
I once played against Don Revie.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Indeed a great post. Money though either wanting it or needing causes people to act in ways they normally wouldn't as I said root of all evil.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Am a little lost here on what to think can’t imagine what she and her family were going through. It’s morally wrong but who knows where her head was.

R.I.P. Toby.
bgd
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by bgd »

CorkWhite wrote:
rigger wrote:That's fair comment and I respect you for showing the other side to the headline.
It now just makes me mad at the media for going for the clickbait / paper sales..

how easy for the Media to do that as well. Not saying what she did was right and i'm not saying the press were wrong either, but sometimes people are only too happy to shoot someone down and the clickbaiting is a terrible way of getting someone lynched.
Was there any clickbaiting in the reporting on this? I've only read the YEP article, and I'm the first to complain the quality in their reporting and social media posting is abysmal (but pretty much the norm nowadays), however their article on this topic seemed to stay entirely factual, merely quoting court proceedings and documents.
Deebo
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Deebo »

Oldfox wrote:When I first saw this story I thought this was a callous evil act, but that was based on my knee jerk reaction to the naked headline. On reflection there are mitigating circumstances. I cannot begin to imagine the mental torture a mother would go through to see her son slowly die of a terrible terminal disease. I cannot imagine the anguish of her holding his hand to comfort him and tell him it will all be fine whilst in the back of her mind she knew there was really no hope. I did not understand how the mind can be affected by mental health issues until two years go and that the first thing to go is clarity and rational thought. In this state of mind she may have thought she could increase the pot for his treatment via gambling. She may have found the actual act of gambling a temporary release from her torture. The mental stress and strain of watching your child die would have damaged even the strongest mind. She may have thought the very slim chance that the money would do any good would be enhanced by winning. The police have said Toby was not affected in any way by the crime so she saw he was the best he could be first. I really do not feel I can condem her without having experienced the unbearable torture she would have been put through.

:clap: Best "other" side of this sad tale I have seen across multiple social media forums.

Really makes me think how easy it would be to fall under the spell of gambling, and the UK and Australia are drowning under advertising for gambling firms. Its a plague on society, and needs to be curtailed massively. Here in Australia, people are losing billions a year, mostly in the lowest income brackets too. Its an extra tax on the poorest, and don't tell me its a choice.Its an addiction, and it shouldn't be pushed on vulnerable people.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

bgd wrote: Was there any clickbaiting in the reporting on this?
The headline itself.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Toby Nye's mum sentenced to two years’ imprisonment, suspended for two years.

Follow the whole sorry tale at this link:-

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds ... t-16044429
yorkfan
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by yorkfan »

The Court has shown some understanding of the terrible pressures faced by Toby's mum, and given out a suspended sentence.

Let's hope that The General Nursing Council will show equal sympathy and understanding, so that when she eventually feels able to return to work, they decide not to have her struck off the Nursing Register, as has been suggested might happen in the YP coverage.
Tedbaker
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Tedbaker »

Terribly sad.

It makes me angry that our club (and many others) have the shirt sponsors that we do. You can’t watch Sky without being inundated with moronic gambling adverts. I have known friends and relatives who have lost everything because they are congenitally unable to stop. It’s a real scourge and should in my view be put in the same bracket as tobacco advertising.