The Bielsa Thread - post links here please

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: The Bielsa Thread - post links here please

Post by Davycc »

Gentle reminder to any new members re our members map. Why not add yourself to it our PM myself with approximate location details and I'll add you :thumbup:

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=26094 ... oad&add=1#
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Hernan14
Giddy Kipper

Post by Hernan14 »

Done even before posting, I joined about three weeks ago but only today I decided to write, of course, I read better than what I write in English :shh:
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

Very proud of the team for the display they put on. Norwich hasn't been a good hunting ground over the past number of years, Last year we broke the hoodoo of Carrow Road. This year we basically destroyed them and could have came away with a bigger margin. Now up next is the top of the league clash with Middlesborough which will determine who will be outright leaders of the league. If we beat them and beat them well which i believe we can do it will really show the rest of the league that Leeds United mean business this year.
Hernan14
Giddy Kipper

Re: Bielsa best speeches

Post by Hernan14 »

leedsfrenchfan wrote:Hi guys I just came to share with you these 4 vid which expalin a lot about Bielsa mentality,

Gross Traslation:

"Mendy already knows that he will be a millionaire, for sure. Him know him are going to be a millionaire, him know. He knows that he will be a star. What he doesn't know is what Morel knows.

If Mendy incorporates that, he's going to be one of the best wing-back in the world. But there is no certainty that it will be, he laughs, because he thinks I'm making a joke. If you want to be one of the wing-back in the world, talk to Morel and talk to Fanny. They're going, no, you laugh, but I would be the happiest guy in the world if you were the best wing-back in the world.

I'm not a moron who says this and I have no background for you to believe me, I know what I tell you, I've been looking at players for forty years, so if you want to be the best wing-back, talk to them. What they are going to explain you is going to serve as experience, not that you suffer in your own body to realize it, no, let him tell you (because) him already suffered that.

Because being the best takes away happiness, takes away hours with your wife, takes away hours with friends, takes away parties, takes away fun.

All you have a very big problem, very big, you have money but you don't have time to enjoy the money you have, what money gives you in terms of happiness and this I already know, because I have seen it countless times, all you, would like to buy time, would pay for being able to do that, as any person would pay, then, success takes away the possibility of being happy, that also is a choice, also is a choice, but him who has only 20 years need to knows it, that he (Fanny) tells him about it and him (Mendy) choose it."

I don't know why, but the video that is in the comment is edited and it lacks the part where it talks about money and happiness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Seu96qwYcc
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: Bielsa best speeches

Post by Sniffer »

Hernan14 wrote:
leedsfrenchfan wrote:Hi guys I just came to share with you these 4 vid which expalin a lot about Bielsa mentality,

Gross Traslation:

"Mendy already knows that he will be a millionaire, for sure. Him know him are going to be a millionaire, him know. He knows that he will be a star. What he doesn't know is what Morel knows.

If Mendy incorporates that, he's going to be one of the best wing-back in the world. But there is no certainty that it will be, he laughs, because he thinks I'm making a joke. If you want to be one of the wing-back in the world, talk to Morel and talk to Fanny. They're going, no, you laugh, but I would be the happiest guy in the world if you were the best wing-back in the world.

I'm not a moron who says this and I have no background for you to believe me, I know what I tell you, I've been looking at players for forty years, so if you want to be the best wing-back, talk to them. What they are going to explain you is going to serve as experience, not that you suffer in your own body to realize it, no, let him tell you (because) him already suffered that.

Because being the best takes away happiness, takes away hours with your wife, takes away hours with friends, takes away parties, takes away fun.

All you have a very big problem, very big, you have money but you don't have time to enjoy the money you have, what money gives you in terms of happiness and this I already know, because I have seen it countless times, all you, would like to buy time, would pay for being able to do that, as any person would pay, then, success takes away the possibility of being happy, that also is a choice, also is a choice, but him who has only 20 years need to knows it, that he (Fanny) tells him about it and him (Mendy) choose it."

I don't know why, but the video that is in the comment is edited and it lacks the part where it talks about money and happiness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Seu96qwYcc
Thanks for that, Hernan. The more I see and hear about Bielsa the more I like the man.
"Dedication's what you need..." as someone once sang.

Mendy needs to brush up on his throw ins, mind.

Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

CorkWhite wrote:Very proud of the team for the display they put on. Norwich hasn't been a good hunting ground over the past number of years, Last year we broke the hoodoo of Carrow Road. This year we basically destroyed them and could have came away with a bigger margin. Now up next is the top of the league clash with Middlesborough which will determine who will be outright leaders of the league. If we beat them and beat them well which i believe we can do it will really show the rest of the league that Leeds United mean business this year.
sorry about this it was posted in the wrong topic by mistake. :D
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Big piece in today's Guardian : https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -real-time

Marcelo Bielsa’s Leeds United: a myth being assembled in real time
Paul MacInnes

Argentinian manager has taken Yorkshire side to the top of the
Championship with thrilling football and eccentric methods

There is no greater story in English football right now than Marcelo Bielsa’s Leeds United. You could argue there’s nothing better in British sport full stop. Other teams, other individuals – Jimmy Anderson, Dina Asher-Smith, Harry the Hornet – may be pushing the limits of their performance, creating headlines, drawing the eye, but the Argentinian has gone further. In West Yorkshire, there is the live sense of a myth being assembled in real time, of a period that will linger in collective memory.

The myth is made of more than just good football, but could not exist without it. Leeds United sit top of the Championship table, leading by goal difference from Middlesbrough, their opponents this Friday night. The 14 goals Leeds have scored in five league games have, almost without exception, been corkers: from Kemar Roofe’s dribble and finish against Derby; to Pablo Hernández’s late equaliser on the break against Swansea; and even the scrambled opener against Rotherham, finished with a diving header by Luke Ayling.

Leeds made rather light work of Norwich City at Carrow Road on Saturday. Brave on the ball, always looking to progress up the pitch and playing with their head coach’s trademark intensity, Bielsa’s Whites beat the Canaries 3-0. Ezgjan Alioski scored the pick of the goals, advancing on to a cute flick from Roofe to fire low inside the near post.

Afterwards, the Macedonian winger revealed some of the gruelling work Bielsa had put the squad through in pre-season. He spoke of 12-hour shifts and players being prevented from returning home at night. Such demands can make a difference on the field (though they also raise the prospect of burnout at a later stage in the season) and Bielsa is not alone in making them. The extent to which his players comply with his demands is what’s unusual.

Alioski went on to illustrate another aspect of his manager’s character that might help explain why this was the case. Before the match Norwich were revealed to have painted their away dressing room ‘deep pink’, a colour the club understood to lower testosterone levels. After the Canaries’ cunning plan became public everyone ventured an opinion on it, including Bielsa, whose response was to ruminate on the nature of desire (“Men can’t say that women are not a source of stimulation”), before dismissing the whole wheeze out of hand (“you don’t have any colour that has the capacity to weaken the desire for competition”).

Saturday’s result bore Bielsa out but, according to Alioski, that was not the end of the matter. After the game the Leeds manager insisted his squad clean the pink dressing room from top to toe. “He wants to change this mentality – that we are clean,” Alioski said. “After the game you can see how clean it is inside the dressing room. And the coach helps also. It’s really a respect he wants. It’s not only football, it’s also how the person is outside. None of the players have ever worked like this before.”

Mateusz Klich, left, celebrates with Kemar Roofe after giving Leeds the lead at Norwich.

Not just a mark of respect but a sophisticated rebuke to sneaky hosts, this is the stuff of which myths are made. Bielsa’s eccentricity may never have been hidden. In his first job as manager of Newell’s Old Boys he signed a young Mauricio Pochettino after visiting his home to inspect his legs as he slept. But such moments seem to be coming thick and fast since Bielsa moved to Leeds. In his first remarks on joining, Bielsa declared them a better club than he deserved. Since then there has been the demands for cleanliness, the eight-minute digressions about the one time he disappointed Hernán Crespo, the selfies with fans at petrol stations and street corners; something new almost every day. And that’s without even mentioning the bucket.

Bielsa has taken to sitting on a plastic tub during home matches. He claims it gives him a better vantage point, because the dugouts at Elland Road are below pitch level. Nobody quite believes him, though, and whenever Bielsa holds a press conference he is peppered with questions about the bucket. It has acquired such a totemic status that, before the last home match against Rotherham, fans crowded to get pictures of the bucket. The Millers’ manager, Paul Warne, even confessed it had got inside his head, leaving him uncertain as to whether to stand or sit himself.

It’s almost like Bielsa is doing all this on purpose. That his idiosyncrasies are not accidental but part of a process that intrigues others, from players to fans, and slowly binds them towards him. Without the football this would not be very effective. But with the football, with Leeds playing better than they have for years, it all acquires a magical lustre.

Some Leeds supporters are already tired of it – they feel the patronising gaze of the football hipster (and the media) descending on their team once more after a decade in the wilderness. But most are just happy and, yes, intrigued (and even the grumpiness has a wry quality to it). Bielsa is an eccentric and his methods rarely bring much in the way of silverware. But he knows how to build a myth. The ride won’t last forever, and it may fail to deliver on its promise, but Leeds fans seem unlikely to forget their time in the company of El Loco.
MyNameIsMark
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by MyNameIsMark »

"There is no greater story in English football right now than Marcelo Bielsa’s Leeds United. You could argue there’s nothing better in British sport full stop....."

I had to read that opening line over & over again!!

We'd be forgiven for saying we've seen it all before this time last year but those early victories were against teams that turned out to be sub-standard, most finishing below us. This year is most definitely different.

As great a read as it is, the hype of the article scares me. Is this really happening or will we burn out & implode again? Who knows.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

"After the game the Leeds manager insisted his squad clean the pink dressing room from top to toe. “He wants to change this mentality – that we are clean,” Alioski said."
I don't suppose it will stop the "Dirty Leeds" taunts but I like his style.
:thumbup:
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

MyNameIsMark wrote:"There is no greater story in English football right now than Marcelo Bielsa’s Leeds United. You could argue there’s nothing better in British sport full stop....."

I had to read that opening line over & over again!!

We'd be forgiven for saying we've seen it all before this time last year but those early victories were against teams that turned out to be sub-standard, most finishing below us. This year is most definitely different.

As great a read as it is, the hype of the article scares me. Is this really happening or will we burn out & implode again? Who knows.
It will be a big story if we carry on as we are & eventually go up & .....the press are just creating another story to use if we burn out & blow it