MB'S PRESS CONFERENCES

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

Re: MB'S PRESS CONFERENCES

Postby MOT1964 » 22 Nov 2019, 23:13

I hope all is well SCOTTISH LEEDS.

Having really missed your informative posts, I've just noticed that the last time you visited this forum was on 10th October.
MOT1964
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: 29 Jan 2011, 00:04

Re: MB'S PRESS CONFERENCES

Postby Mr Russell » 23 Nov 2019, 02:19

MOT1964 wrote:I hope all is well SCOTTISH LEEDS.

Having really missed your informative posts, I've just noticed that the last time you visited this forum was on 10th October.


Agree, hopefully he is just on a holiday.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
User avatar
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 5476
Joined: 03 Dec 2009, 03:22
Location: Behind you

Re: MB'S PRESS CONFERENCES

Postby DominanceUK » 23 Nov 2019, 11:06

Mr Russell wrote:
MOT1964 wrote:I hope all is well SCOTTISH LEEDS.

Having really missed your informative posts, I've just noticed that the last time you visited this forum was on 10th October.


Agree, hopefully he is just on a holiday.


That would be some holiday! :P
DominanceUK
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter
 
Posts: 1294
Joined: 11 Aug 2014, 16:33

Re: MB'S PRESS CONFERENCES

Postby Selby White » 23 Nov 2019, 12:59

DominanceUK wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
MOT1964 wrote:I hope all is well SCOTTISH LEEDS.

Having really missed your informative posts, I've just noticed that the last time you visited this forum was on 10th October.


Agree, hopefully he is just on a holiday.


That would be some holiday! :P


Hope everything is Ok SL :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
User avatar
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 10341
Joined: 25 Mar 2012, 11:32

Re: MB'S PRESS CONFERENCES

Postby Barlow Boy » 23 Dec 2019, 16:12

From the presser today......

How is Pablo Hernandez and when might you expect him back?

One month.

Are you any clearer in what happened?

It was an injury in his hamstring.

Any other injury news?

[Tyler] Roberts and [Jamie] Shackleton are available. [Barry] Douglas is sick. [Adam] Forshaw, we don’t know when he will come back.

Any message for the supporters at the halfway point?

We give the message every time we play. This is what we offer. The good and in the bad sense. If we have to give a message it’s ‘thank you for always being with us.’

When supporters get nervous at Elland Road, do you feel that?

Of course we feel it.

And the players too?

Everything the supporter feels we also feel it on the pitch. Players and staff. It’s part of our job as well.

Ongoing impression of Alex Neil’s Preston? You’ve played them quite a few times now.

Preston are doing well. This is a team that have kept their players. Just the transfer of the number seven. It’s one team that had a bad moment and now is recovering, and they have a regular way of play.


How are you going to cope with the absence of Hernandez? Are you going to bring Gjanni into the team as you did on Saturday?

Yes, it’s going to be [Ezgjan] Alioski and [Stuart] Dallas in the midfield.

What does Dallas bring you in midfield?

It’s one dynamic player. He’s flexible. He can play on the left or right side without problems. He has a good mobility and he appears in the last part of the pitch with a good tempo and a surprise. He can shoot and he can finish and also he can cross from the sides, he defends, he attacks.

Are you tempted to bring Jamie and Tyler straight back in?

One month that they’re not playing. They are healthy, but they need time to be competing.

Have you had any indication from Arsenal what may happen with Eddie Nketiah next month?

We have no information.

Do you enjoy managing at this time of year?

It’s organised like that. For me, it’s okay to play in this period. I’m happy to assume this. It’s a tradition for English football. I always like being on the side of the traditions of one country.

Do you think Championship stronger or weaker this season?

There are more teams with a similar level.

More competitive?

Performances of the teams are more similar between each other. At the moment, there is not one team making a big difference between the rest of the teams, from the middle of the table to first place.

There’s been a lot of racism in football recently. Have there been conversations in your dressing room walking off the pitch?

I am against any racists and facts like that. I disagree with this kind of situation.

Would you support your players if they wanted to come off if they were abused?

It’s something that is not convenient for me to answer because you are talking about something that is very difficult to imagine. Also, I don’t understand why it’s not enough with my first answer because you are asking something different about what you are saying. You know what you want to ask, but you’re not asking it. I am responding I am against everything in relation with racism or discrimination.

In every organisation, there are measures predetermined to resolve the situation that can happen.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
User avatar
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 7623
Joined: 22 Jan 2012, 19:28
Location: Barlow, obviously.

Re: MB'S PRESS CONFERENCES

Postby Barlow Boy » 04 Jan 2020, 17:41

From the presser today (pre Arsenal)....

What is the team news ahead of Arsenal on Monday?

[Illan] Meslier is going to play instead of Kiko [Casilla]. [Gaetano] Berardi in the place of [Liam] Cooper. [Barry] Douglas for [Gjanni] Alioski. Alioski in the place of [Helder] Costa and [Robbie] Gotts in place of [Stuart] Dallas.

Four players leaving the team, Kiko, Cooper, Dallas and Helder. Meslier, Douglas, Gotts and Berardi in the starting XI.

On Wednesday evening did we see the value of Bamford and what he brings to the team as a whole when he came on in the second half?

We’ve seen Bamford has proved his importance. He’s had his chance throughout the Championship.

And honestly, I think Bamford did enough in every match to value what he does in every match. You have to value what he does in a match.

Even if you have to prove in every match again, yourself. This is the rule for all the players, but we always recognise the impact that Patrick has in the team.

And we think the same of Nketiah when he played.

Obviously Eddie has gone back now and leaves you short on cover. How much of a concern is that and how confident are you that you can get the right player in the club to give you cover?

If find a player in this position of course we are going to communicate quickly, and if we find one player in this position it's because we are going to consider that it's a good option.

Are confident that can be achieved in this window?

It’s not about intentions, the question is trying to find the right player and after being able to incorporate him. Our sporting director always has options and the solutions he proposes always are linked with the solution we are looking for. Those solutions are linked with the team profile.

But after with those options we have to make arrears and this is not easy. You have different facts that the club cannot manage. The club doesn't have power in those facts. We know that the club does the right efforts to try to bring options.

On Arsenal - what are your thoughts and have you seen any of Pep Guardiola's influence on Mikel Aterta's style of play?

Always, [someone] who is a colleague of Guardiola has an additional value.

I think that Guardiola is the best manager in the world and as a great manager, of course he distributes responsibility in his staff. Arteta’s position in his staff was important work and after if a club like Arsenal chose him, Arsenal doesn’t choose him just because he was staff of Guardiola. This is just one fact of one person that has more qualities than that.

The profile of one person is public, depending on the job he has. If you are a manager you have more praise, if you are an assistant, less.

And of course when Arsenal play more matches we will see more things from the new manager. Say that one manager in three matches creates changes, is cheating, because what he can do is try to get a result.

To make changes you need a process and to keep doing this for a long time.

But what I can say it that I imagine how Arteta works.

Why is this the right occasion for Robbie Gotts and Illan Meslier to make their debuts?

Gotts is a player that deserves to play. And Meslier has qualities that allow him to take responsibility in a massive match like this one. Meslier is a 'keeper that has experience in one thing and Gotts is in his best moment in all our processes.

And the most important is that he has worked a lot to have this opportunity. But it’s just one first step in the beginning of his career.

Both of them, they don’t have to prove anything to us. If they play well, better, and if they don’t play well, it’s not going to change anything about the step forward they are giving.

Are still without Shackleton, Roberts and Forshaw?

Shackleton is going to play some minutes tomorrow in the under-23s.

Pablo and Tyler are going to be in the training group next week.

VAR will be used on Monday night. Would you prefer referees to make the decision on the pitch or are you in favour of VAR?

What referees prefer. I'm just interested in play. If referees take good decisions or bad decisions with VAR or without, it doesn’t change anything about how we face one match. It’s very difficult to be a referee.

The other day we watched our last match, where referees are cheated and it’s very difficult to realise this on the pitch.

So for me, rules and referees are very important in allowing you to play.

So I think that as referees think it’s better, I am going to accept this.

Where Bielsa does see an issue is with consistency around the application and interpretation of the rules.

But there is something that confuses the footballer a lot," he continued. "Because the rules are interpreted and for footballers it's natural to analyse how referees analyse the rules and sometimes there are confusions. So footballers don't know really how referees are going to rule the match.

After, if the referee ruled the match very strictly, the player is responsible for his excesses. Or if the referee makes the rules more flexible, the player is a bit more exposed as a boy, a fool as he's arguing about something that the referee doesn't measure in the same way.

So if I push in one corner, for example, and one referee says that it's a penalty, after a player is responsbile. And after if the same player is pushed by an opponent and the footballers claimed that the referee said nothing after the player said it in front of everyone is a boy, a fool. So this is the difficulty that is part of the work of the footballer to try to adapt to it.

Pablo Hernandez is returning to training next week - is that quicker than you envisaged him coming back?

Let’s see. One thing is to come back to training, another thing is when you come back to complete.

He knows he is able to train this week, but we don’t really know when he is able to play.

Is there any update on Adam Forshaw?

He has a problem with his hip and he cannot recover 100 per cent from this [at this time].

What sort of test are you expecting from Arsenal? They're not having the best of seasons by their standards but how difficult will it be to get a result?

Of course it’s a big challenge for us. It is enough to see the players and the prestige they have and the level they have.

The stadium they play, the quantity of people that go to the stadium, how many supporters they have around the world, the manager, the previous managers, all these facts describe the power of the club.

Jack Clarke - how important to replace him or do you feel he may be able to be replaced from within with youngsters coming through?

We planned the season with Clarke and Eddie. When we lost them, after we lost them, we would like to replace them.

But just if we find a footballer that can replace them.

We need to another centre-forward and another winger but we need players in those positions that compete with the play of team.

This will be one of very few matches this season where you are the underdog - does that change the way you prepare or set yourself up?

Being the favourite in one game is an external analysis. When the press or people thinks that we are the favourite in one match, we ourselves don't consider easily that.

And neither the opposite, like in this case. Every time we compete we trust in our resources and we respect the opponent resources. And compete means compare resources and always we do this with the wish to impose our style. And we are going to do it as well on Monday.

Is the FA Cup a distraction or a nice welcome break from the league?

It’s an official engagement and every official engagement we cannot consider a distraction if it's an official engagement.

Each game in this round is kicking off one minute later to allow people to think about mental health. What do you think about that?

All of us are forced to think about those kind of people.

As a coach are you excited about going up against a higher class of opponent?

If we are going to play with another opponent, we are going to justified as well.

It’s a competition with a great history and from there, every opponent is important.

Now if I have to answer that, I already did it.

Can a game against Arsenal show how much progress Leeds have made under yourself?

I don’t think so.

I think that the regularity of performance points to the progress.


The quality of the opponents means that you play better, have a higher performance, I can understand this, that there is something wrong. Big teams play in a similar way in every match. They don’t need a great opponent and they don’t play bad against a lower opponent. Or the opposite. The opponents are not inhibited against a great opponent and don't feel fear, are not weaker against a big opponent.

If you watch City and Liverpool, that’s the reference in English football. They play quite similar every match. Again, every opponent is the same, but they play quite similar in every match. Players who play well some times and play bad regular, they do not play in those top level teams. You are not going to see a player in a top team play one match well, and another bad.

Have you come across Arteta in your career before? Have you met him?

No. I have read his ideas, but I've never met him.

I know him because of his ideas.

You signed Nicolas Pepe for Lille as a young player. What qualities did you see in him when you signed him and did you imagine he would be costing £70million and playing for Arsenal in the Premier League?

Pepe is a great player with big resources and is a goalscorer.

And he’s a player who is able to unbalance a match. Obvious skills, when you have all of these skills in one player, the value is £70m. It’s just a matter of time and after show those skills. He has showed them clearly and after the price was linked what he has shown on the pitch.

One thing is when one player has the skills, another is to have the skills and show the skills pitch. He does both. He has clearly shown his skills and is at club where he deserves to be.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
User avatar
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 7623
Joined: 22 Jan 2012, 19:28
Location: Barlow, obviously.

Previous

Return to LUFC TALK

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSN [Bot] and 6 guests