MB'S PRESS CONFERENCES

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 728

Re: MB'S PRESS CONFERENCES

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I think anyone who had paid £200k in fines out of their own pocket after that incident would be hard pushed to find that question funny.

Sometimes, journo's are their own worst enemies and yet they wonder why a man of integrity like Bielsa won't do one-to-one interviews anymore ?
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

rigger wrote:I think anyone who had paid £200k in fines out of their own pocket after that incident would be hard pushed to find that question funny.

Sometimes, journo's are their own worst enemies and yet they wonder why a man of integrity like Bielsa won't do one-to-one interviews anymore ?
Same thing in the other camp last night. FFL was at pitchside after the Derby match with the usual collection of back seat drivers and was asked about Leeds / spygate BLAH BLAH, angling for if thought he would be spied on again. To be fair he made light of it but big laugh eh? :roll:

Always the lowest common denominator for those vacuous media types.
Keep The Faith / WAL
johnnysmiles
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by johnnysmiles »

Can anyone reveal which journalist asked the question?
BrighouseWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by BrighouseWhite »

johnnysmiles wrote:Can anyone reveal which journalist asked the question?
Popey mentioned this and said he didn't recognise the bloke from any other post match conferences. Not only that, but someone who was obviously quite drunk had somehow managed to get into the conference and was talking away on his mobile until he got removed. Sounds like it was all a bit of a farce.
There's light at the end of the tunnel and the future's looking very bright indeed.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I've been drunk in a press box so it's not that hard to do.
It was at a QPR vs Ipswich match and my mate was very excitable and just as drunk as me and when George Burley came out for the post-match presser he said "Alright, George !?" to him.
Burley smiled and said "Alright, son ?" in reply and when he did, my mate hissed "YESSSSS !!" to himself and literally looked like this :

It's a free bar in the press box and another mate was working for QPR in a sponsorship role so he got us in.
It sadly has nothing at all to do with my semi-career as a writer ..
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

Hope MB realises that there will probably more spygate jibes over course of next two games. Let's hope the put down means it doesn't happen in press conferences.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

MB press conference coming up from 12.30, live on the App, should be an interesting one.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Team news - Roberts fit? Everyone else ok?

Stuart Dallas will play, but Tyler Roberts will not.

There’s a doubt with Jansson.

On Spurs and Poch last night

We were all full of emotions after the game of last night.

And I can imagine what he felt because as a head coach I think it was a special emotion for him.

The game of yesterday was a party of football for the team who won.. For the team who lost, both teams respected each other.

I saw Pochettino trying to control his happiness not to offend the opponent. It doesn’t mean he didn’t celebrate.

And I saw that he was controlling himself, he didn’t want his celebration to be an offence to the opponent team.

And I am thankful for what he said about me.

What's been your message to the players ahead of the play-offs?

This event, it’s a football episode that everyone wants to live. You have two prizes at the end.

Both semi-final games are gong to be very attractive and the winner will play a final at Wembley and it will be a spectacle and the team that wins will go up. You can't have a bigger goal than this.

The motivation comes by itself and the preparation is the second aspect.

A lot has gone on between the clubs - will that motivate Derby?

Could be.

Have you had anything in your career you can compare this too? A semi-final with so much at stake?

Yes. I lived these kind of situations, I am familiar with them.

In Argentina or elsewhere?

Yes, many times. What I can tell you is I’ve been through this many times, Copa America, Liberdatores, Olympics. What I can tell you is I lost all the finals apart from the final of the Olympic Games

Does the Champions League results show you that anything is possible? Motivation?

Sometimes football gives a call to other sports that it’s impossible for other sports to overcome it as the top sport.

Have you grasped how important promotion would be for the city?

Yes, of course. I always think that the salaries we earn as exaggerated but sometimes I think they are not important enough.

And I have this feeling when we think about the responsibility that we have as we have the hope of many people. We always earn a lot of money. Apart from the fact that we think the impact our role has on the hopes of the more humble people. As poor people it’s harder to have access to another kind of happiness than football and many times they don’t have many opportunities to feel proud of things like they do for their club. It’s a big opportunity for us to fill this hope for all of the fans, especially the poor ones.

How would promotion compare with achievements at Newell's?

The impact that this had on Newell’s, the fans, the public, I couldn’t compare anything, taking into account my career, to what happened at Newell’s. For us football is a lot more than it is for you. Because you keep a level of moderation here that give the right importance to the results. The sport result is in the right place.

The fans of Newell’s can’t do that.

How much of a personal achievement?

Of course. I would feel very proud.

Lampard said you were superior when you last met - will they try and surprise you?

Each game is a new story. Those who won the last games to this game and those who lost.

How important will home advantage be in these two games?

The game is very important. We couldn’t expect anything different. At least I’m talking about Leeds because every time we play at ER it’s full of fans. For this game we are sure the same will happen.

Penalties - have you done work on them and how much of a problem have they been of late?

To train the penalties is good to find out - not only the coach, but also the players - who is good at penalises and who is not. Being good at penalties doesn’t mean you’re good at them in front of 50,000 people.Being good in games is not the same as games like that. What I’m telling you is it’s meaningless to work on penalties because you cannot reproduce the aspects.

But at the same time I can tell you we shot 100s of penalties this season.

On Pablo's form

I talk many times about the impact of Pablo Hernandez. When Pablo’s influence is bigger, Leeds play better. And you have players that put their influence and Pablo is one of them.

What have you made of the U23s season?

I am very happy for them first of all. And for the staff. And for me the achievement is even more important because it’s not that we were at the service of the disposal of us, it was the U23s were at the disposal of the first-team. They have done things that were not convenient for them. The head coaches were very generous, Carlos and his staff. They have done many things for the first-team that have gone against the interest of the U23s. These things don’t make it easier for them to reach the national title, it made it harder. Because when they had to play a game with three subs made before the game, this is an act of generosity that is not frequent and is a complication for the team that has to play in these conditions.

It was hard to prepare because until the last game they did not know who was going to play. They were very generous of us and we were very demanding of them. Despite of our demands, because the first-team is the priority, they won the national title so we are grateful and feel a lot of admiration for them.

After poor results, what’s been your main message to the players?

The last four games we only got one point out of 12. Our stats were worse. Usually we needed six chances to score a goal and in the cycle of the last four games we needed 12. In the same cycle our opponents scored a goal every three chances they had. If we were that efficient we would have won the games with a big difference. We analyse deeply the last four games. We did that the first day of the week. We drew the conclusion that we had the right points and we start dreaming of what can happen. We are full of hope to reach our goal. We are dreaming of this. When you feel like that you feel safe. That’s how we feel. We are longing for these new opportunities that we have.

Are the players more efficient in training?

The technical gesture, our muscular responses and the building of this comes from the emotion. You have players who control this well and they can make the difference of the building and the emotional aspect. That’s why you don’t have the same emotional aspect in training and in a game. In training a player uses his skills, in a match he tries. There are aspects he tries to control.

On the job Lampard has done?

The results of Derby and their play speak about Frank Lampard. He has good players, he put them in the same team and he made the team play well.

Can you take inspiration from Poch in the Champions League?

I want to tell you I’ve known Poch since he was 15. He has built his own career as a head coach. He has built his own style. It’s his property. What his team does is more linked to his ideas than the ideas of other teams.

That’s why I disagree with the position of teacher. I’m not his teacher, because Pochettino’s style is an original one, he designed and drew it himself. Before each game we say there is a favourite team. You have many examples that show that the conclusions shown before games about who is the favourite is confirmed, or the opposite. If you take the predictions and you compare to the result you find maybe 50 per cent of predictions are right, 50 per cent are wrong. As we have the luck to be able to play in two days, there’s no point in making any predictions about it. We don’t feel as winners before playing the game, or as losers before playing the game. What we value is the possibility to show what we deserve.

Bielsa has a comment to make...

I would like to make a short comment. We reached a common decision with the players we decided to adapt 100% to the rules but we understand that if we have one player down, the opponents don’t have to take the ball out of the pitch and we also think that if a player from the opponent is down we shouldn’t interrupt the play and kick the ball out. We all know that the person who has to take this decision is the referee but we don’t want to disappoint anyone, our fans, their fans, the other team because it’s what the rules say.

The rules say the person who has to make the decision is the referee. This has nothing to do with Aston Villa’s situation because we feinted that we were going to put the ball out and didn’t. We just want to find a solution to this doubt. We will tell the referee and the head coach and captain of Derby that we will behave like that. Which is by the rules but we on’t want by behaving by the rules to make people disappointed. So we don’t expect the opponent to solve the situation if we have one man down, we won;t ask them to put the ball out. It would be unjustified to do this, because it’s the referee’s decision. We will do exactly the same in the opposite situation. I think we are doing the right thing, I hope I am not wrong. Doing it as we just said, looks like no one would hear about it. Nobody should be bothered by the fact that if we have man down we won’t ask to put the ball outside. And we don’t bother anyone if we leave it to the referee.

If we accept these two points the same thing. We shouldn’t feel obliged to put the ball out and we should also leave it to the ref, who will find a solution.

You that belong to English football - do you believe there is something wrong with my analysis?

I don’t want to take the risk that my logic goes against a deeply routed habit.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:.......
And I am thankful for what he said about me.

What did he say ?
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
phil62
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by phil62 »

I am glad MB has clarified that we will not kick the ball out for an injured player and that he will not expect the opposition to either. Play to the whistle and let the ref make the decision, as Villa should have done. Not attacking MB's decision at the Villa game - Roberts's feint made it necessary on that ocassion as he said.
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”