MB'S PRESS CONFERENCES

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: MB'S PRESS CONFERENCES

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

You've scored first, which is great, but in terms of the victory, how deserving was it in terms of how you played tonight?

I think we deserved to win.

It was nervous at the end, but it was complete dominance today. Was it up there with the best performances this season?

It’s hard to understand that we only won by one goal of difference because we dominated the game. Because we had many chances to score.

And also we had many actions that could have become chances to score and they didn’t become chances to score.

I don't think anyone can argue with that. Every victory is important, but how important was it to win before a ten day break?

When we win the game we can wait for the next game with serenity.

In that time, what will be you focus on those ten days?

The players, the starters will have a four-day rest from Thursday until Sunday.

And those who play less will play Friday and Monday with the u23s. And those who are recovering from injury will take advantage of this time to recover well.
How much pleasure did you get tonight as a head coach? And will you have a rest?

Yes. I will take advantage of these days to rest.

Your team is back at the top of the league - how much easier is it to be top at this stage, rather than chasing?

The goal is always to get as many points as possible and if this allows us to be top of the table, it's even better.

Did the fact Norwich lost make it feel like an even bigger win for you?

Every time the teams of the Championship play, you have reasons to feel enthusiastic and reasons to feel sad.

In the last 14 games left we have to be as regular as possible and as consistent as possible.

You said you will rest, what do you do to relax away from football?

I like to walk. I like to visit the places that I don't know in this region. What I like to do the most is to visit this region of England. We have many secrets to visit, to discover.

And I take advantage of this time to be with my family and with my friends.

Is there any update on Jack Clarke? Will he be ok to play in 10 days time when you play again?

I was about to talk about him, I was waiting for the end of the questions.

We would like to dedicate this win to Jack Clarke.

Because we all feel he deserves it, each of us, believes he deserves this win. And we hope he will recover well and as soon as possible.

We will let him take all the time he needs to recover.
maltrain
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by maltrain »

Hi. The sentence "Because we all feel he deserves it, each of us, believes he deserves this win. And we hope he will recover well and as soon as possible" was not accurate from the translator and Bielsa funnily corrected him as you can see on the video.

Bielsa said: "...he deserves this win as much as each one of us and we hope he solves this problem not matter how long it takes him".

After that, conference ends and Bielsa makes fun of the translator saying "you're making me look like a mercenary". Very funny moment. :)
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

maltrain wrote:Hi. The sentence "Because we all feel he deserves it, each of us, believes he deserves this win. And we hope he will recover well and as soon as possible" was not accurate from the translator and Bielsa funnily corrected him as you can see on the video.

Bielsa said: "...he deserves this win as much as each one of us and we hope he solves this problem not matter how long it takes him".

After that, conference ends and Bielsa makes fun of the translator saying "you're making me look like a mercenary". Very funny moment. :)
Thank you for that mate, someone else said words get lost in translation between Saim and Bielsa.

Thanks again.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Spygate judgement - pleased?

Yes I am happy it’s over.

Jack Clarke?

He is not available yet. One change is Roberts for Roofe.

Roofe latest - how long?

We don’t have a final date for his return. It will be between four and eight weeks.

Izzy Brown - how long?

He is making constantly positive steps and we have to link his improvements to the needs of the team to see when he will start.

Bolton - thoughts?

It’s very difficult to confirm in the games the differences you find in the table. If we look at the table we could think Birmingham couldn’t lost to Bolton and Bolton won. You have opposite examples too. The norm in the Championship is you won’t have easy wins for anyone.

Changes in Bolton since winning there?

I have a global idea of the Bolton team, but it’s not that detailed to make any comparison between the team two months ago and now.

Importance of Saturday with rivals winning?

In any case it’s important for us to get points. The final games we have to play are very important, each of it. We don’t feel obliged because the rivals have positive results. We don’t feel we don’t have the duty to win when the rivals don’t win their games. All the points at stake will have significant importance.

Douglas and Forshaw?

Douglas tomorrow with the under-23s. It’s his final step before getting back to the group if everything goes well. That’s not the case for Adam Forshaw yet.

His injury will need more time. It will be hard for him to come back in the next two games, the same thing for Clarke and Roofe.

Bamford progress - pleased?

When you have been absent for such a long time you need time to develop your sports performance. He’s making constantly positive steps to reach his best level.

Big expectations for Saturday - unrealistic in the Championship?

The expectancy is due to the fact Norwich beat Bolton 4-0. We are focused on winning, first that’s our goal. Then we are focused on deserving to win and then we will try to make the most importance difference possible.

This is our idea for this game. I couldn’t make any opinion on winning convincingly or not.

Benefit of 10-day break?

It all depends on the next three results. If everything goes well we will say the break was a good one. If it goes wrong we will say the break stopped the development of the team. We always have explanations for everything. The difficult thing is to find the right explanation beforehand.

Good rest?

I never get tired.

Enjoy this part of the season?

Of course. The axis of our profession is the competition. When the consequences of the competitions are final it’s when we are more happy.

Feel responsibility for the fans' expectations of promotion?

The expectancies of the fans are legitimate. We know what a fan feels thinking about the possibility of promotion. We have the same hopes as the fans. First of all, because we desire the same thing as them. Second because we assume we represent the feeling of people and this has to boost our strength.

Difficult living with that responsibility?

I never need external support to increase my desire my team needs.

This season going to last game?

It’s very difficult to focus on what has not happened yet because, among other reasons, one of the things making football most attractive in the world is because it is possible the team doesn’t deserve to win actually wins. If you want to estimate the results of eight teams it’s very difficult. If you add to that the fact you can’t make a logical analysis because it can happen the teams that wins is not the best one. Taking into account this it’s impossible.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Leeds unknown in South America but followed since Bielsa's appointment - still loved in Chile - what do you make of this love?

The only thing I can say is as a maximum goal we all have the aspiration to be loved. This is common for all human beings and I love Chile. I felt loved by the Chilean people. I never forget how admirable are the people who built Chile everyday.

Guillem Balague is here - how do you do what you do and why?

People who work in football are overestimated. It’s not only because many people are interested in it because you have many important things that interest only a few people and you have things without value that interest a lot of people.

The most significant thing in football is the love of fans for the club. The identification of many around something which allows them to gather together and express themselves. We live in an individualist society and the fact we have something to unite people and when you have the possibility to participate in this, from privilege, unfair it’s privileged, it’s something people desire.

It’s a privilege to be a participant in this.

How easy has it been to get to the heart of English players?

All the opposite. The English players have developed their capacity to respond to emotional solicitations. I’m talking about our group, our team. You are asking me about English players and I can only talk about my team.

Can you judge what you have given to Leeds the club and city?

There are some questions that invite you to give a demagogic answer. When you have the privilege of playing every two weeks in front of 35,000 fans it is something you can only thank and feel gratitude.

On Roofe's injury - how much of a blow - do you need more luck?

You can draw your own conclusions on that and I never like to talk about things that could be used as a justification. They say sometimes that God is sometimes never harsh but sometimes he hangs people! We will see how God behaves with us!

On relationship with the fans...posing for pictures

I do it because in football I think the most important element is the people who love the shirt and the club. Actually they are not asking for an autograph or a picture of me, they are actually asking for a picture with the head coach of Leeds United. And as I understand the feeling that links the fans with the one who represents the club, I never say no to anyone who asks me for an autograph or a picture but they don't ask the person, they ask what the person represents.

On Berardi and Dallas

Gaetano Berardi will need more competion and as a matter of fact tomorrow he will play (for the under 23s). And for Stuart Dallas it was a little less hard for him to recover his sports fitness and he will be in the group on Saturday again.

How does he deal with the journey and enjoyment of the process?

In English football, traditionally, you always have the time to develop your idea because the time allows you to get the best final result. This is culture in today’s word. Nobody expects, nowadays, has the patience to see the positive things you’ve done before and people always expect positive things.

I’ve read an article in El Pais weekly. I don’t remember the author. It’s a thinker. This person with a lot of culture talks about this subject in an extraordinary manner. The example of Real Madrid. Real Madrid, out of the last five Champions Leagues, they have won four and the last was just some months ago.

Even in this case, when you have four out of five Champions Leagues and the team stops winning there is a crisis. The person who gave something, instead of gratitude, develops the obligation of having to win constantly.

This article puts another admirable example. Some time ago, when you make a favour to someone, you felt you could feel the gratitude of the person receiving the favour. Now, instead of gratitude towards the giver, people think they have the right to ask for another favour again and again.

For me, it’s easy to make a link between these thoughts and your question. If you don’t make a link between the final result and the path you choose, not making the link between the result and the path is the only way to survive in this profession.

Those who value public results reject this. Those who value public results, either they praise the good things or they condemn, with strength, the bad things. This article also gives another example that is extraordinary.

I like talking about this. Now you see the novels are something fancy and a renowned author who made a series on TV instead of getting gratitude is being asked to make the next season. As if it was easy for Pep Guardiola to build the team of Barca and forget the goal every three years.

Why don't you do one-to-ones with the media?

As I can’t tell the truth I prefer not to give an answer.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Actually they are not asking for an autograph or a picture of me, they are actually asking for a picture with the head coach of Leeds United.
Humble.
How rare is that in football ?
It's a beautiful thing and he's a beautiful man. I love Marcelo Bielsa :)

Why don't you do one-to-ones with the media?

As I can’t tell the truth I prefer not to give an answer.
Wow :wtf:
Something must've happened in the past where he was massively misquoted or a reporter took something out of context and changed the slant on what he wanted to say.
Fair play to him though - you can't fault his honesty, or his integrity in not wishing to divulge the details on this occasion.
Such a classy man :thumbup:
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Was the result a lot harder to achieve than it should have been?

It’s a game very similar to other games we have played so far.

We had chances to score and we didn’t score goals and we suffered on set pieces.

I think this was the axis of the game. It was a team who fought a lot.

We had many chances to score and missed many goals and the dangerous actions created by the opponent were on set pieces especially.

These things have happened many times before in this Championship.
That would be frustrating, but how pleased are you with the mental strength of your team? Does this result show that is increasing?

There’s a difference on the matter of how we played the last minutes of the game, compared to the other game we played against Swansea where we one by just one goal of difference.

We showed a little bit more maturity in the last minutes, in the last seconds.
Penalty taking - Do you have a designated penalty taker? Or are you happy for them to fight it out over who will take it?

When Roofe was playing, it was Roofe. And actually as Roofe is not on the pitch we haven’t designated anyone to take the penalties.

But on penalties there is one point that is very important.

Usually the player who takes the ball just after the penalty, who wants to take the penalty has an advantage to shoot it, because he has the ball in his hand.

Because it shows that he is confident.

A lot of chances fell to Patrick Bamford but he wasn't able to take them other than the penalty, but were you happy his performance and the positions he was getting into?

What makes the difference is when you score goals.

For me it’s very important when an offensive player, a number nine has a chance to score. It shows that the number nine made efforts and deserved to be in a position to score.

The ideal thing is to score the goal, actually.

The worst thing is when you don’t have any chances to score.

And the middle point between those two extremes is when you have chances to score but don’t score.

You were about to put Stuart Dallas on just before the second goal. What were you looking to change at the point in the game?

Pablo’s final pass is very efficient and when he plays on the sides as a winger he has less possibilities to make the final pass.

But I also wanted to keep Tyler Roberts on the pitch and have Pablo as a number 10.

Because Tyler Roberts was making a good job in linking Bamford and our other line. I took time to make the decision because I was not convinced that Tyler Roberts had to go out.

And at the same time I didn’t think that we should have in the middle Patrick Bamford, Tyler Roberts and Pablo Hernandez at the same time.

How important is Tuesday's game given that it is and extra game for you? And how tough will this week be given you have so many games in such little time?

When you win the previous game it always helps to win the next game.

But it’s not convenient to think about the next game before playing the first game you have. Anyway as we won today we are in good conditions to play the next game.

How close were you to brining Izzy Brown on today?

Izzy Brown plays as a number ten and as you saw I chose first Tyler Roberts and then Pablo Hernandez.

Will he feature on Tuesday?

I haven't thought about the next game.

The penalty seemed to come from a move which looked like it came from training? How close is your team from doing everything you want them to?

To link specific actions, associations, you work in the training sessions with actions from the game.

I think it’s not a good habit to make a link between what we do in a training session and what we do during a game.

Because if we say that the action that allows us to win a game is thanks to what we've done in the training session, when we lose we should also think the opposite way.

As football is so unpredictable, I’m sure of one thing. We can’t win games with the training sessions. Training sessions are useful to increase the level of performance of the players and then what happens during the game comes from the skills of the player.

That’s why for me it’s not a good idea to make a link between actions of the game with the work we've done in the week.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Are you able to select from the same team as the other night? Ayling appeared to be struggling.

It will be the same starting XI.

And Berardi and Douglas are among the 18 players.

Ayling is fine.

A bonus to pick from so many players?

There is not that many.

QPR in poor form - how weary are you of a backlash?

In your question we have both possibilities. They can have a positive reaction or stay the same negative cycle.

We will try to influence the events to get the best things for us.

And we have to analyse each game of the opponent to find out that there is a very small difference between a win and a loss.

What qualities do QPR have?

It’s a very clear style.

It;s a team that knows how to play with their style.

And they know how to impose their skills.

And definitely it’s not going to be an easy game tomorrow because it’s a very experienced team and it will be a very demanding game.

You've had a great impact here - have you thought about staying here longer than your contract is at the moment?

We draw the conclusion at the end of the season to see if we achieve the goals or not and make a decision then,

How important is it to get back top tomorrow night?

I think that from now on all the games will be very important including the one tomorrow.

Thoughts on Sheffield United and Norwich as promotion rivals?

What they developed so far, what they’ve shown so far makes them deserve the place they occupy now in the Championship.

What would promotion mean to Marcelo?

It’s a big hope that we have.

And this hope becomes bigger and bigger after playing games, especially when you see how the fans are hoping to reach the goal.

Update on Clarke and Forshaw

Jack Clarke has to follow pre-established protocol.

And Adam Forshaw is making the steps to try to get back to the group for next week.

Did you learn much from the QPR game in January - it was a young team you played then

Both teams won’t play with the same players tomorrow.

But I think both teams will be faithful to their styles and the pitch has its own features.

What have you asked the players to work on regarding taking chances and scoring goals?

The day after the game it’s very difficult to do some work, as is the day previous to a game.

But we had a close look at the defensive aspect of the game.

Any senior players in the U23s tonight?

No.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Where did it go wrong tonight?

We didn’t take advantage of the first half. In our best moment in the first half we had Liam Cooper out so we couldn’t dominate as we had been doing.

In the first half, apart from the first minutes, our team started to dominate the game and create danger until the last 10 minutes where Liam Cooper was absent we couldn’t keep dominating.

The goal was arriving to maturity at that moment, but our project stopped with having Liam Cooper out. In the first five minutes they had five good minutes, with energy at the beginning, and it was the same case at the beginning of the second half and they scored the goal.

From that moment the game changed, it was not as natural as it as before. They could counter-attack and they created danger. For us, it took a while to build the game and create chances to score. In the final minutes the game was different than it was because we couldn’t elaborate attacks.

Izzy Brown came on quite late tonight, was there any consideration to bring him on earlier?

No.

Why is that?

In this kind of game it was hard for Izzy Brown to play well with short spaces he couldn’t combine and use the association play. The minutes he played showed this kind of game was not for his features. Of course I’m not saying he’s responsible for it and I am surprised you are asking me this question because Tyler Roberts and Pablo Hernandez were leading the team after the first minutes of the second half. The decision to put Izzy Brown in was an extreme decision to try to change the result.
I don’t think I should have put him in before. I did the change to try to make something different, but he had few possibilities to change the development of the game. If you look at the game, the player who took us closer to the goal was Tyler Roberts and he has completely different features to Izzy Brown.

How crucial is the game on Friday against West Brom now after this result?

If we had won the game it would have been important as well. All games are important. We can’t hide the points we lost here.

QPR have had such poor form recently and you could have gone top with a win - how frustrating was that?

The answer is included in your question.

How do you respond to that?

As the response is included in your question I can’t say anything else. It’s a question that includes the response. You will find the response in your question, because you know this result is frustrating.
Are you worried your team is losing energy at the most important time of the season?

[Laughs]

Your question doesn’t have any basis because if you watch the game what you can say is this team has too much energy and you are telling me if the team lost energy.

What our team has shown in every game is we have an excess of energy. It’s clear you don’t know what you’re talking about because if there’s something this team doesn’t lack, it’s energy. If you look at the figures, if there’s a problem this team doesn’t have it’s a lack of energy, even if we have problems as all of the teams.

It’s not an opinion because you just have to look at the figures to draw your conclusions.

How difficult is it in the English season, with the 46 games and the cup competitions to keep going all that time?

It’s not difficult because all the teams are submitted to the same pace and are at the same level.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

What our team has shown in every game is we have an excess of energy. It’s clear you don’t know what you’re talking about because if there’s something this team doesn’t lack, it’s energy. If you look at the figures, if there’s a problem this team doesn’t have it’s a lack of energy, even if we have problems as all of the teams.
You can't argue with that.

I actually like the fact he laughed at the question.

Is Bielsa the most honest manager of all time ??
I think he is and that just makes the spygate thing all the more ironic IMHO.

I've heard on a couple of podcasts this week that "spygate" affected the whole club and is the real reason for our current malaise.
Personally, I think that's BS and just lazy journalism. If you actually watch our games, it's clear we're lacking a killer instinct in the box and our strikers are low on confidence.
Everything else is fine.
Our goalkeeper looks a superstar too, btw ..