MB'S PRESS CONFERENCES

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

MB'S PRESS CONFERENCES

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Think this needs a thread on its own:-

Defensive problems against Swansea - are they resolved?

When we have a problem our hope is obviously to find a solution.

When we make a mistake, it allows us to detect it and try to find a solution.

I can’t assure you that the problem won’t happen again.

But when I can tell you is that when we are aware of a problem, we are in a better position to resolve it.

The problems I saw in the last game, we didn’t have them before but I take into account that Shackleton played in the position of Ayling, that Ayling played in the position of Cooper and in the position of Phillips, Klich played.

Usually Shackleton plays as a number 8, Ayling is a full-back and Klich is a mixed midfielder.

The three players just mentioned could play in the positions they played in the last game, the profile of the team was more offensive with these changes, the lack of coordination was more probable to happen, so it’s my job to find solutions.
Last edited by Deebo on 23 Aug 2018, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed punctution
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Re: MB PRESS CONFERENCE'S

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Has anything about the Championship surprised Marcelo?

Before starting the competition you can draw up an analysis, a table, with the rankings before the games are being played. You can establish a ranking before the start of the Championship, taking into account the budget, quality of players, strength of the institution.

But then, when you play, the differences you see at the beginning are not evident, you don’t see them. There’s a term which says that you can win before playing because of the history you have as a club. They games you’ve played before. And this doesn’t happen in the Championship.

For example in the Premier League, it’s hard to find which teams will finish in the top six. It’s the same in Germany, Spain, Italy, France and this competition which is among the ten most important in the world does not respond to this logic.

I’m sorry to give you such a long answer.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

At half-time you take your subs in, rather than have them warm up - why?

This happens sometimes, not always.

And there are some messages I wold like to transmit and I would like all the players to listen to these messages.

During half-time we have ten minutes to give information during the game. As each player can participate during the the game, it’s normal that I want them to listen to what I have to say.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Bielsa on sticking to his style at Swansea

It's not easy to change the style. To transmit the style to a team you need time to do it, to integrate a style you need time. Sometimes it happens in a short time and sometimes you need more time and when you win games it makes it easier to bring that style. The idea to have alternative plans, which is considered a virtue, I don't really share this point of view. I think we have to do what gives us more possibilities. The goal is to do better and not stop doing it and change the style because when you know how to do different things would mean you would have to share the time available on different ideas and goals.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

How pleased were you that the players stuck to their style at Swansea, despite being behind?

You know it’s not easy to change the style.

To transmit a style to a team, you need time to do that. To integrate a style, to assimilate a style, you need time. Sometimes it happens in a short time, sometimes you need more time.

And when you win games it makes it easier to assimilate the style because human beings believe more fastly to things which allow them to win.

The idea to have alternative plans which is considered a virtue, I don’t really share this point of view.

I think we have to do what gives us more possibilities. The goal is to do better, not to stop doing it and change the style.

Because when you know how to do different things would mean that you have to share the time available to share ideas in different goals. So it’s natural that the same function that two players with different features can do the same function.

But this doesn’t change the style.

Harrison is a winger who does deep movement. He always tries to find the ball behind the opponents.

Pablo is a winger who strengthens his play getting the ball before the line of the rivals.

Our style makes us play on the sides, but you can do this play in different ways.

You can play deep or make combinations and do that with other players, so as a matter of fact, our ambiton is to find more solutions to one problem, but the style is the same.
This question separates the world of football. I don’t think I am the master of the truth. I try to explain why I act like that. I know in the world of football, all the people don’t share my point of view.

As a common fact, the substitute don’t go to the conversation we have at half-time. So when this matter is brought to the table, what I say is not always the sub comes to hear what i have to say. But what I think, they should always be here to listen to what I have to say at half-time. Because the way we think the game, they won’t listen to how we think about the game.

So an alternative answer would be that football is easy, you have nothing to say about it. But we have to analyse the game. We have to analyse during 10 minutes the first half, so what would be the argument? What would be the reason for the sub not to share this moment? Common sense says they have to be here to hear what I have to say. This is my point of view. But we also have to take into account the POV of the people who think opposite.

What is really important is that football offers you different POVs on one same reality.

If we don;t understand that you have different POVs regarding one topic, your question would have been meaningless, but your question is interesting because we have different POVs on one situation, because you linked result with the style. But I didn’t say this, I say no, we need the style to get the results.

I have a lot of work with such a complex explanation.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Marcelo doesn't have a plan B - rather stick to plan A?

I study and try to learn those who propose an alternative plan. My point of view, I just explained it in ten minutes. But I always try to see if those who don't share my opinion, I always analyse and study the other point of view to see if I have to change mine but i cannot do this because my job is to convince people that to transmit what produces triumph, in order to convince people I have to believe in what I am saying. Because the footballer only believes something that you truly believe in. I am going to tell you a serious mistake I made - the kind you don't forgive yourself. I was the head coach of a great striker, Crespo, a very generous player. I trained him in two different moments, when he was a young player and then when already he was an experienced player. When he was a young player, I told him once that I thought he was a player with maturity but i was lying to him. I was trying tio strengthen his self esteem, giving him a skill that actually I didn't think he had. After some time when he got the maturity, I told him now you are a really mature player, not the same player as before but what did he think? He thought how come you not say this before, so you lied to me. Before you told me I was a strong player but didn't believe it. I am right not to forgive myself. I am telling you this not just to tell you a story, my goal is to publicly apologise to Crespo because I didn't tell him the truth but it was lesson. If you lie to your son nowm in order for your son to get something from this artificial strength, you will just resolve the problem for that day and that moment. But you will have actually weakened him because you will have convinced him that he has a feature that he only has for a small amount of time.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Norwich painting the dressing room pink ....

The pink colour is linked to women, right? For the babies, if they are a boy we give them something blue and a girl something pink. Men can't say that women aren't a source of stimulation. But this relationship, the stimulation you have happens when you have a relationship. Before a game you don't have any colour that has the capacity to weaken the desire the competition. Pink colour is not a meaningful colour before the game but we told our equipment colleagues to put some papers in the dressing room before we come.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Many changes off the back of the busy schedule?

This coming Saturday, I don’t think so. For next Tuesday I’m sure.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

How pleased with Bamford off the bench?

I’m very happy with the performance of Bamford’s last game. He had am impact on the game. Harrison had an impact, not as important as Bamford, and Baker too. And these three players gave vigour to the team.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

How did Kalvin Phillips react to being substituted so early on?

Normally, he trained as usual.

I value and I appreciate his professionalism, his behaviour, when I took this decisions, which is not a frequent decision

You know there is an unwritten rule that resolves the relationship between footballers and the head coach because we are colleague.

I always analysis the decisions and when I make wrong decisions I always hope that my players do not show that I made a mistake.

We have different jobs but the player makes mistakes and I make mistakes too and we have to be tolerant when we make mistakes.

Usually I say I made a mistake, thank you for not letting me down.