MB'S PRESS CONFERENCES

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: MB'S PRESS CONFERENCES

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Good start - Saturday - how pleased?

It’s very fast to do some analysis with only three games. Of course, any comment right now is without the right time to draw conclusions. In the three games, they were different. Give a point of view without enough numbers is not the right thing to do.

Team news?

Cooper, Douglas and Alioski are doubts, but we cannot rule them out.

Strength to deal with absences?

We have brought some players in and some have gone in the summer. We are starting the game with the same players from last year. We have fewer injuries than last season. We have some players on the bench who have the skill to unbalance a game when they come on. A comparison with last year is not the right thing because the situation is different. We had more irregularity with selection last season.

Back-ups ready to play?

We have no doubt these players are ready. The idea is to have 18 who can play in the first XI. Costa and Nketiah are at this level.

Jansson - reception?

He deserves to be received with the right reception (?). He was the best player last season. I cannot talk about his previous years because I wasn’t here. He did a high level last season. I appreciate what Jansson gave to the team. I think the fans are going to be fair and recognise what Jansson did here.

Penalty takers - philosophy here?

We have players who are good in this situation. More than one player.

Players decide?

I don’t know the meaning of the question, but the player who takes the penalties is the best player for it. We think they’re the best player for it. We take notes about how they take penalties in training. You can evaluate this easily. You can take a clear report about who is best for penalties. After, it’s not the same to do this in games. During the game, pressure can have an impact. Sometimes you cannot give a simple answer.

Psychological boost of the start?

In all the circumstances, it’s important to win. Any circumstance will not make winning complicated. Of course, we don’t want to be satisfied when you are watching one dynamic with the good results.

Last season fuelling the players?

If you are thinking about last season, you can feel this pain. We are positive to change this situation. The illusion, the motivation to go from this disappointment.

Bamford - golden boot race

In football, be thinking about what is going to happen is so difficult. He has skills to carry on scoring in this way.

Forshaw - under the radar - development under you?

Only I didn’t have an influence on Forshaw because when I started with him it was last summer. He was the best player in the team before his injury. In this period, the contact was minimum. Everything Forshaw does in the games are inside of him.

Brentford prediction

Brentford is a different team. I have a different future you cannot link with previous teams. They sold some very good players, but bought very good players too. Then they need time to watch how they work as a new team.

Keeping Jansson quiet

We know Pontus’s strengths. The idea is to avoid what he does well, but this is normal in football. This is the game. You have to try to avoid the strengths of the other teams in games because this is key. You are not going to make a difference even if you know the player.

Best attack to face so far this season?

This is a good reference. You are right.

Injury issues?

They don’t have anything which will make them avoid tomorrow, but you have the need to be safe with them. It’s going to depend on how they feel.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Close - deserved result?

We deserved to win. We dominated. We didn’t create a lot of great chances, but enough to make a difference.

Started to doubt the result?

You never know with this type of game, which are on the limit. Sometimes in these games when you are looking for a goal you can concede. The team defended well and didn’t do anything bad. It was a physical, demanding game. The best moments were when we attacked.

How pleasing the subs?

It was something casual (?). Something lucky because it doesn’t happen very often. The skill of coaches is not based on who makes the passes and scores the goals.

Shows strength in depth of squad?

Costa is a balanced player on both sides and Nketiah can make an impact through the middle.

Pleased with defence after four games?

We defended well. The opponent didn’t have enough clear chances. When we are playing against one team with five strikers, with three players in the first XI and two as subs, so it’s something important to make the difference.

Nketiah pleasing?

When one striker scores with very few minutes, you cannot say a lot of things about this.

Matched 18/19 start

The right thing is not to divide the league in parts. Of course, the points we have is good. Now, we have to keep this and do this more times. This is why any comment right now is not enough.

Nketiah and Bamford play together?

It depends on the needs of the game. According to the opponent and what they are doing, we may go with two strikers. Sometimes players with a lot of strikers can have positive and negative impacts. They key is to read the game and make a decision game by game. It is important to play both together. They mix well. One is right-footed and the other left. Down the sides. Can play one in front and one in behind. They can make the link and make movements.

Nketiah a favourite with the fans already - important to help him settle

Of course, when the fans support the players it is something which can stimulate and have an impact.

Pleased with the reaction to last term's disappointment?

The important thing is to make the points needed for promotion. Each game is an opportunity to win more points. It’s how we feel, but now we have all the competition to play and a lot can happen. It’s impossible to analyse what can happen after nine months.

Bielsa feeling stronger after one year behind him here?

Last year we missed a lot of players in each game. We would have fewer players in each game. Our possibilities will increase with fewer injuries. Same this year. Number and quality of the players is there. We wish to have the majority of the squad available for each game.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Team news

Dallas or Shackleton and Cooper or Berardi, the rest the same.

Temptation to include Costa and Nkeitah

It’s an option that is in the team. Each of them have two alternatives. During the season the 18 players in the squad will play.

Is Nkeitah likely to play on the left this season?

This player has more skills to play like a winger. Because he is the kind of player that we think of in these kind of positions.

Barry Douglas

We are thinking about him for the match in the cup.

<How is his situation?>

What I said before. We are thinking for the next match. So we are close to know how ready he is play.

First four games - is there a feeling that you play better away from home?

The two games that we play away were less physically demanding, less close. Maybe it was this but not because it was away or at home.

Same start as last year - how is this year's team different?

It was a very good performance at the start of last season.

But it’s true in the same time that to compare last season with this year it’s too early. Only four games so we have to wait.

What do you expect from Stoke City?

The distance between the teams in the table is rare, when you play it’s too close.

In Championship everyone knows every result is possible. In the first game Fulham can win, to quote one example.

For us it will be much harder. For them they have very good quality in the players.

Clarke not featured much - how does he see his involvement coming on?

For me he’s an important player who has very good individual skills, one v one.

There are reasons enough to say nothing is special about why he is not in the 18 players in the last two games.

We have a lot of matches in the month of August. Very probably the next game on Tuesday a lot of players who didn’t play before will be in the squad.

In this moment I am focusing three wingers. They are putting in good performances, but Clarke will be in or be a substitute of one of them.

Jordan Stevens is another option.

Dallas and Cooper injuries

They could play tomorrow. But always I tell you all the things we know every day.

Dallas and Cooper are resting today to try to recover well. Liam has a kick in the ankle and Dallas is a muscle problem, nothing special. Hopefully they play.

If not, like I told you tomorrow.

Did you work on the psychology of the players over the summer - is it something you believe in?

The physiology as a tool is very important and obviously the physiology in the squad is very specific too. It’s a specific work in the squad you need to develop and learn so it’s important.

At the same time there can be too many people in the role in specific teams.

Above all because in football it’s true that there is a wall to introduce this specific man in a squad. The football know that this type of person comes into the team is the reason where there is people in the team to do this job.

Are you impressed with how the squad have recovered mentally?

You know that we didn’t promote, the way to improve this is to get promoted.

So what we are thinking now is late. Out of time. At the same time with just five games we can talk about if they have recovered from last season or the opposite.

It could be a bad result shows a weakness and at the same time when you are in a top performance, no indication that you have recovered mentally.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Injuries

All the players are going to be available.

Ayling?

Not Ayling or Roberts.

Attitude on Tuesday night?

It’s something I appreciate a lot. These facts increase the frustration of not giving the fans a present.

How big a factor is the fans' positivity?

We wish we had continued in the cup because it was a good scenario to give other players an opportunity, the young ones, it’s key to give them that experience and good for those players not playing regularly because it gives a demanding level similar to the league.

Leif Davis progress

He was one of the players that had a positive performance in that game. He didn’t make the mistakes he made in previous games. He made corrections.

Will he make league squad?

Of course he can.

Clarke development

He showed in previous times he’s an unbalanced player. He has to show it again these skills he has. Harrison, Costa, Stevens, Clarke and Pablo can all play as wingers. He’s fighting with these players for a chance. He competed in previous times with Alioski as a winger too. Now he needs to do the same.

Needs to improve?

He is fighting for his position like everyone. He is doing this. I am always watching. I analyse the training, cup, Championship or under-23 games and his behaviour and after this I make my conclusions. I am thinking he will be in the team, but sometimes I am right and sometimes I am wrong.

Important to finish well before break?

It doesn’t make any difference. If we don’t have this break we want to win the game in the same conditions. The winning is always positive in any moment.

Swansea impressions?

They are showing a good level. They have a very clear idea of how to play. They are solid. They know how to defend and how to attack. At the same time, they have good links in their transitions.

Surprised by Swansea?

I am not surprised by their start. The results are deserved. They continued a squad from the previous year. Arrives some player with high prestige in the competition.

Cooper for Scotland

This is something which recognises his performance. He deserves it. I congratulate him for this. For me, he deserves it. Opinions on national teams are always a risk because these decisions are made by team-mates or colleagues. This is why I can appreciate this selection of players.

Why were you confident you could improve last season's squad? Harrison etc

Sometimes the good players are the same players.The same players are different too. When you repeat the first XI and you are working with the same players you can be more focused to control some details because the gross idea of the team has these ideas. This is relative.

When you given an answer you try to say things you can defend. Working again with the same players means you can control more details, but at the same time you get new players to improve the squad from last year. One of the most important is to have two or three options in each position. Then the level of competition increases the possibilities and skills.

Edmondson

It’s the same answer for Clarke. We are working with a small group. We analyse everything the players do. We selected these players because we trust their skills. We think they have the skills to fight for one position in the team. As I said, after analysis I am selecting who is the best to play knowing I can be wrong. Making everything possible.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Pleased with Phillips deal?

It’s very good for him. He deserves it and it’s very good for the club. Of course, it’s very good for the team as well. Very deserving for him.

How important is Phillips?

He’s a player who has developed a lot. He defends well. He has improved a lot in the air and with his agility. He moves the ball really well. He can grow a lot more.

Difficult to replace him?

Forshaw can do a lot of things Kalvin does, within the club. The difference is Kalvin has 16 matches in this position and Adam none (centre-back). Of course, we all think another player in this position, a parallel, in our group are Forshaw and White. From the young players, we are trying to develop two options for the end of the season.

Barnsley - Roberts?

Yes. A possibility.

Injury news?

No.

[Ayling?]

Ayling is healthy. Next Monday or Friday he will play with the under-23s to get fitness.

Dallas and Cooper deals - make the step up to the PL if they did it?

Last match, Dallas played Germany. If you watch this match you will find an answer to your question. Cooper played against Belgium’s strikers. Russia as well. Without seeing the result he left a very clear message answering your question. He left a clear message he can play against top-level players.

Mindset for a derby game?

We never faced a team like this. Different kind of team. They press high. They run a lot. The position they have in the table is not linked with their play. This team is built to play moving the ball in a good way. I don’t know the manager, but the team speaks for him. The team shows new things.

Matches not won - created chances - what can you do to improve taking those?

This is a question I have answered around 30 times. The lack of efficiency has been a characteristic of the team. I think your question is good and proper because the question represents the reality of the team, but I cannot add more than I have said before. Last year we needed between four and five chances to score, now, we need six chances to score. The team has improved defensively. The aspect we need a lot of situations to score and still we defend well. It is difficult to manage that.

If you classify the way we receive goals, I will propose one. Set-pieces, crosses, throw-ins, long balls from the opponent, when they build their attacks from defence, where the way they move and play beats us. I really know this qualifications, how I classify these ways of conceding. Today we told the players about these situations. In the Forest match and against Swansea, I think were two of our best defensive performances. We lost five points, which is our team’s challenge. We cannot get what we deserve.

This period where we deserve more, show and convince ourselves it’s gone for us. We cannot forgive ourselves, we cannot get what we deserve. This is a world which is linked to being strong mentally, taking good decisions. Opportunity to do the right thing on the pitch. Individual and collective character, experience, manage the moment of the game, all the things we have not tried yet. We can observe it. Talk with the players, question the group, you will see all I am talking about. There is no one exercise to resolve it.

The same in the attacking play. Most of the time, the efficiency has no relation with the training. The training is necessary, but you have other ways. We still receive goal chances from set-pieces, less than before, but we still receive. It’s not because we don’t train that they create this danger. I coach the players as well. We are facing an important challenge for us. This means we get what we deserve. Don’t accept unfair things are lucky as a reason, it’s not going to allow us to succeed.

Bielsa on form again

Be careful as maybe what I said is not correct!
We use long answers and who listens to the answers is then tired and he says okay very good very good

On Stevens' ban

The mistake he made was in the rules. The ban he received there are a lot of possibilities.
I think it's good there's a sanction for everyone to remember that if you do this mistake afterwards you will have consequences. But the ban is longer. The ban does not allow him to train. Because if you are a professional and you cannot train with the group afterwards you will need to or three more weeks to get the fitness so I don't know if the people who took the decision of not playing or training for six weeks, afterwards you have two more weeks where you cannot compete or he can compete but without a good fitness. I don't feel I have the authority to make an opinion because I ignore the English culture in this sense. It's the way to protect the sport and afterwards you can make an opinion about a lot of things.

Efficiency - how frustrating to have an issue which is so hard to resolve?

The manager always can influence that and improve it. He can work on the confidence. There are a lot of ways to help the players. That is not necessary to repeat things in the training.

Footballers, ask them why they think we are inefficient with our chances, for example, the crosses from the sides to the box are a really important resource for the offensive play. When everybody’s watching there’s a possibility to cross, they claim the player crossed and there is not a good option in the box and it’s better not to cross. In this decision about no crossing, after the team cannot find a better option than this one. Sometimes it is better to not do something, trying to find something that may find a better result. if the player knows there is nobody to receive the cross, keep the ball and maybe the situation develops which doesn’t allow the cross.

I realise that watching City and Barcelona. They can cross, but do not. The next situation after not crossing is worse. This next situation after not crossing has an objective to find a better solution.

People think Phillips is ready for PL - how would he have coped with Bilbao, Marseille, internationally with you?

This hypothesis to think about this, I need to verify this. I was talking about Cooper v Lukaku, but if he never played against Lukaku I would never know. I think Kalvin has the level, but I hope he has the chance to show to everybody he has this level.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Is everyone fit for the game?

No, just Forshaw out.

What are you emotions regarding Derby County ahead of this match?

I don’t link the match on Saturday with those of last season.

Do you expect the crowd to be emotionally charged?

I know what happens on Saturday doesn’t modify what’s happened in the past. So I think that for the team it’s best to think this way.

What do you make of Cocu and how his team plays?

Cocu is a manager with a lot of prestige.

As every Dutch manager, he has a link with the ball possession and to creative, dynamic play.

Surprised by their shaky start?

Championship teams have ups and downs. In this case it’s a new manager. It’s a natural thing that the adaptation needs time.

I have to say that the performance they have had is better than the results.

Nketiah dilemma?

It’s one of the team options that we have. It’s important player and how he can change the impact and development of a match.

We are already grateful that we can have him.

Do Nketiah and Bamford compliment each other well and give you options?

Yes, of course they give different things to the team but also they can play together.

When two players in the same position play in the same team it’s necessary to see which one doesn’t play and what we’ll lose when the player leaves if the other plays.

Because in the case they play together it’s not always that you have attackers in the team you’re going to be more dangerous.

The centre-forward for them is important, the kind of passes they receive.

So if they play together they can do it but sometimes we have two centre forwards but we don’t have the player who can assist them.

This morning's Clarke report - what are your thoughts when you see reports like this?

Always the source of the news is the most important. After you have a team of 20 players, you give a lot of opportunity to each of those 20 players.

I am really satisfied with Jack Clarke’s development, he’s at a good fitness level. Technically he is complete and he’s attitude today is very good.

He competes with Costa, Hernandez, Harrison. If one of them are left in the team and Clarke is participating after we were going to listen that the news about Costa, Pablo, Harrison.

I am satisfied working with Clarke and I am sure he’s going to be necessary and important to use in relation about the news you were talking about.

The only way to answer to this news is Clarke who is saying that or some authority of Tottenham.

Difference between Cocu and Lampard's style?

When you analyse the managers, always you have to give the names and it’s a bit difficult.

Cocu has some important players left. The three players that left Derby, the right full-back and the new manager that is trying to impose his own style.

We generalise the number 8, the player that is from Liverpool and the other from Chelsea. And there is a new centre-back. And also the adaptation to substitute the right full-back.

The relationship between both manages is the ball possession and the desire to be a protagonist in the match. And after the injuries, the absences, the players and the new style, all this influences the development of the team.

Please with Ayling's U23s return? Option this weekend?

Yes and tomorrow he’s going to play a few more minutes in the under-23s but the only fact that he’s close to use again, for us is really important. The same with Clarke.

Clarke is player full of skills but he had an impressive season that was interrupted for health problems last year and now again he’s at his best level but when you have to test the absence of one player it’s necessary to consider if he plays, which other player leaves the XI.

Now we have to analyise if Pablo or Helder or Jack is not in the team and after we were going to have in the newspaper that City would stop the loan of Jack Harrison, as an example. I understand those comments are normal but also it’s important to consider what he’s saying now,

Fifth time playing Derby - but in your career which has been the most difficult team you have faced? Brazil, Barcelona, etc?

It’s difficult to verify the movie of 30 years in one moment. But I will say San Paulo in the ‘90s. A unique team. All 11 players, great players.

Brazil in 2002, World Champions. But if think what is strange in football when we were playing to qualify to go to the World Cup I was coaching a unique, special team.

This team qualify but they were beaten in the first stage of the World Cup. This was something that marked me a lot in my career.

But the same team in the tournament of 18 matches, the South American qualifications, this team, Argentina won with 14 points more than the second one. After Brazil was champions. That meant my mistake in the World Cup was bigger.

The incredible team, the Guardiola team, that left an incredible mark in football history.

People who watch this team saw this team, nobody will watch a team like that ever.

What he built with this team, they were incredible players but not all the extraordinary, incredible players can build the football that they built. There is a phrase to define the top managers saying that comparing his level with the capacity to develop 100% of the top players.

Because Guardiola gets that. All the top players shine.

I think that the football should analyse for the new generations what this team was. There is a different way to show a team in the next years.

And football and communication is an industry that is so big. They should two or three times a year tell us this story in different ways. But English, they have very good commentatries, maybe exists but you can make another one with Guardiola telling us what this was again.

You've won a record-equalling six away games in a row - how aware are you with the managers of the club's history?

Every statistic in comparison is with achieving promotion, if not it loses importance.

How aware are you of the club's history?

The club history we will remember the group who promoted them.

How are you finding British culture after living here a year?

Which part? <leisure, food, living here in general>

The only thing I can talk about is football in this aspect because I am a public person I cannot give an opinion on everything. but I will chose to answer just about football. I have been really surprised by the love people have with the club, the football.

I have realised that English people love their team, plus football. In Argentina, they love just their team.

The love for the shirt is above everything. In England they love football. But always the team that we support in Argentina is more important.

What is your team doing better this season?

We lost more in losing the ball. And we lose the ball in some part of the pitch where if you lose there it’s less dangerous.

Did the Spygate affair last season give Derby an added incentive in the play-offs?

He I don’t think so. About this situation, all of our fault we have already paid.

<Question is explained again>

I don;t think so. I don’t know. That’s an imagined thing that Derby had more motivation. I think that the application is not linked with last season.

What do you want to know?

<Question explained again>

For me, it’s not linked. There is no way to link the promotion to Spygate.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Monday night award - what does it mean?

This is what I put in the letter. Benoit Delaval had him in the pitch to make this decision. Liam Cooper, the captain, he represents the players who to accept my order. Nobody’s used to allow a goal for the opponent for the reason I value the players, the supporters and the club because everybody accepted my decision and said nothing about it. Also, in the world there are a lot of people who, every day, choose the good thing to do and they do this to keep their dignity and they do to choose the correct thing even when they can avoid it. For me, this behaviour is similar to Leeds’ behaviour as well. Leeds have chosen to allow this goal and didn’t take the decision of the referee. I think, in the world, there are a lot of people doing the correct thing even if they have another path to choose.

Also, I think the FIFA prize has this message for society.

Source of pride these values have been recognised?

It’s not just representing me. It’s a collective decision. I think the prize is for the club and the players rather than me.

Forshaw and team news?

We believe we will count on him.

Charlton views

First of all, he’s an important player of Leeds. We can distinguish him in front of us. Charlton has started well in the Championship. Every team has ups and downs. Everybody can win or lose, again, everyone.

Surprised by Charlton?

No. Not surprised. What makes special the Championship is the distance between teams, we can verify that with analysis, the resources of every team, after matches, are not going in the same way. Before every match you can think one team will win, but after the match, that doesn’t happen. Sometimes it does and doesn’t happen.

If you see the Premier League, the top six, they are real favourites. Sometimes there can appear one or two more, no less. The Championship is not like that. Even the opposite.

Talk about Nketiah and Bamford - easy to see one is scoring and one isn't - explain what Bamford does which is so important?

Patrick gives things to the team Eddie can also give. Patrick is a goal scorer, Eddie as well. Their difference in style is not too big because both of them can fill the position with the same efficiency. Patrick’s initial advantage over Eddie is he has more time with us, more experience and he is older than Eddie. What you are talking about, this polemic, is one of the things supporters like and the press like as well. If Bamford doesn’t play, you will ask why Nketiah does play, and if they both play you ask why Klich or Forshaw doesn’t play.

It’s difficult to answer this polemic. This talk about different situations and that is fair and is nice. Sometimes, the reality offers space for this polemic. Sometimes this polemic is over the reality. What nobody can complain about is the winning.

Shackleton development

One team has more than 11 players into the match. Ayling, Douglas and Berardi can play a standard match. Shackleton can consider himself as one of the 11 starters. Nketiah, Costa are not playing, but they can start matches. The 11 starting positions, one player can build it. I can build it if I can put one player or another player and they make the team work in similar ways.

The good thing about Shackleton is, when he plays, the team works, even if I play another team. This is very good for one player of 20 and it’s difficult to achieve this. There are a lot of young players with skills to play in the Championship. Maybe they have played matches, maybe they play well, but being part of the 15/16 who can start is a new level and Shack is there.

Fair Play statement - you never take credit but always responsibility - why is that?

When you take the credit, but you don’t feel that, describe the things in one way, but think inside another way, is something I reject. I always try to say what I think. When someone has a function of leadership, and is necessary to take an immediate decision, you have to use a lot of intuition. You take the decision, but in this moment you cannot analyse all of the things happening before deciding. This is the difference when you take a decision in one second or have time enough to make a decision. This was in one second and the body says a lot of things to take this decision. When I have to think why I took this path I thought I was trying to interpret the group I am leading. Leeds is a collective, a group. It starts in one city, but comes to all working in here, Everybody, players, gardeners, people at TA, I thought this decision represented this group of people. Also, I realised I had chosen to take this decision because of my past. My mum, my family, my clubs. All these things mixed to take the decision. You cannot think clearly.

Also, football isolates us, puts us in a place not so real. Football gives a lot of privilege to people involved. All we do to be recognised or criticised for that is multiplied from the press and the press because it’s interesting.

My decision was to choose between the correct thing and the legal thing. Legal would not have been correct. The last thought most important to me because football messages arrive to a lot of people. People we know. People nobody knows. Every day they choose to do the correct thing and they have another way which is legal, but not correct. If you do the correct thing you are a better human being. It’s not strange to think all these people getting the message say I do the same and nobody gives me praise. For this reason I wanted to share this prize with people who do the same, but get no recognition.

Philosophy - correct, but not legal - in your players?

This was the sense. Players do the correct thing, but not the legal. To be in the place I am now, there is a lot of things you have to see on another side. I am not how you can describe him if you just see this letter. I do a lot of things which are not good and I know I am doing which is not correct. How can you verify that? Because nobody 30 years in football is doing the right thing all the time. You cannot avoid this. Football makes you worse, if not football doesn’t accept you. I have behaviour you can point at as incorrect behaviour.

Most of what we do, we do because we have an interest. This introduction, always maybe you are tired, because I talk a lot to answer your question. It’s useful to say if the group are better human beings in the long term they are going to be a better team. Specialists will say being honest and a good person allows you to think you will have a better performance than if you cheat, for instance or you are a bad person. It’s not like. That means if you develop a group and it’s solid in the human sense it’s going to be more competitive, but there is a difficulty, if we could have won the match against Villa we have to let clear we didn’t have real opportunity to promote directly, we allow goal, but didn’t lose the direct promotion.

If we would have won the match with this goal, what is around the decision, the next days from this, how you will finish the competition maybe would have been better with the match, but when you see, in the long term, now the group is more solid because the group has done this. It’s not true because I am saying it now. This is because professionals say it. They compare those values with efficiency. The social message is also important. Football, everybody listens and learns from football. Society can learn the correct thing is better than the legal thing. This will improve performance in life.

You have to think about what I said before. I don’t feel I took the decision. I represent the collective. All examples I experienced in my life allowed me to take this decision. The fact I developed and lived 20 years at Newell’s, taught me what to know is good and bad professionally.

Is everyone fit in the squad?

Pablo Hernandez is not able to play. He has a problem, a muscular problem.

He felt that warming up in the last match, but today is not good.

He’s not well enough to play.

Helder Costa will play.

How exciting to see Costa start?

He is ready, he is prepared. I cannot say I am happy because people will say I’m happy Pablo cannot play!

I do not want to take the risk, but I am happy Helder is playing.

Aware of English phrase 'win at all costs'?

Some phrases, we need to win, it doesn’t matter how. Winning is not important is the only way. It doesn’t matter how we do it, but we must win.

If you ask how do you win? I will say by playing well. For me: ‘you win playing well’. Three phrases I said before. Everybody knows it’s important how you get something. If you play with anyway, if you don’t win every time. What makes football beautiful is the way you play.

Pressure of the job makes correct over legal decision hard?

What is important is the message we give to supporters. The message supporters will receive is linked with the education the supporters receive in a supportive way. When you see one fact there are some people who realise what is good and what is bad. Another people ask what is good and what is bad. Who answers these questions?

[The players and the coaching staff would answer]

The press says what is good and what is bad. If you have a bad fact and the press describe this as a good fact, people think is good in a high percentage. Press impacts everything in us.

[Press react to what the majority of people believe]

I think the opposite. The press is first to say what is good and what is bad. The press educates people. Every person developing spends more time looking at the press. One boy at 10, they go four hours to school, but after six hours with his laptop. I think pragmatists, that hurts. We should teach all of us and make a difference in what is good and what is bad. If we teach that, the public will learn to make a difference in what is good and what is bad.

Of course, everyone wants to win. The feeling I have about the fans in England they prefer to win in the correct way. How doesn’t matter. Football is all of us. For example, everyone I admire from English football, managers had a long process. Every time it’s less. Now football globally, but worst. Guardiola is an example, globally, of good things because everyone copies how he trains, but after you have the bad thing the clubs fire their managers in the short term as an opposite example.

We have to share the fault I talked about.
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Otherworld »

What a man! He could teach our politicians a thing or two about being decent human beings!
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Team news - anything good?

Hernandez is still finishing his recovery.

Prudent to miss Millwall?

I couldn’t say that. I have to wait to see how his recovery completes.

Missed Hernandez on Saturday?

There are two complimentary views. You always miss one player like Pablo when he is not in the team. The second is we are in good condition to put a player in to replace him. Proof: one offensive game against Derby was the same with Charlton. In both games we have created similar enough chances to score. For this reason, we miss Pablo, we cannot say otherwise, but the team can resolve his absence.

Times like this do you have to rebuild confidence?

We have focused the situation with all the points of view. We can do in training, what we can do in images, videos, also what we can do talking with the players, with the group and individually, we try to pay attention in all the aspects. First of all, because it’s our job and we have a lot of time to do it and also because this one is a problem the team is having and we want to resolve it.

How do you ignore outside influences on team selection?

I don’t ignore it. I listen to it. I am very curious about other opinions on the decisions I take because sometimes there are opinions which help us. There is an obligation managers are forced to do what they think because their job is to combine a group of footballers. It couldn’t be possibly to influence this with decisions I don’t believe. I try to listen to all the opinions, but I build my own opinion.

Defensive opposition thus far - WBA expectations?

West Brom is built to play a match in similar circumstances to this opponent (?). They have six players who have an impact on the ball in possession, the two full-backs, two wingers, centre forward and playmaker also.

With six players in this level and two defensive midfielders who manage the ball well. We cannot expect one team which is not going to look for the match. I think all the match we have played so far, this opponent is going to be the most difficult opponent to defend.

Beautiful match?

I could not say, or predict this because football it’s not convenient. When we think about how it’s going to be the match, after it’s the opposite. Even more if we give public what we think is going to happen. When you have the match in television, when journalists does the comments about the game, he say the player is playing well, in the next situation the player makes a mistake. When managers predict something the opposite happens.

Fresh injuries?

Probably Pablo and Adam are not going to be in the group.

What's the problem with Forshaw?

The last match before the international break, he had a little problem and he cannot solve it.

West Brom the perfect opponent right now? They will come and attack, etc?

We are always forced to win. After one defeat, even more. We also think we are playing top of the table at home. We always find reasons and now even more.

Confidence from win over West Brom last season?

We think we are going to have the same result because the last match we play was against that opponent, we will think how we played against them last time at home and they will think when we play away against them.

New formation - 3-5-2 on Saturday - will we see changes tomorrow night from the start?

For 30 minutes we played with a line of three one defensive midfielder and three players, making three in attack.

After one moment of the match they started to play with a line of three defenders, so they did that to try and neutralise an aspect of our game. We kept our shape. After in the second half we decided to play with two in front and two wingers behind them and two offensive midfielders. After we tried to adapt to their playmaker and two centre-forwards of them.

And in the last part of the match they still played with a lone of three and a DM and we played with three in the back.. We added Adam and Dallas to go more offensive. But from the tactical point of view, not important.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Preparing for Millwall?

In every stadium you have a different atmosphere, but this will not decide whether you win or lose.

Key to versatility - like Dallas's?

It’s not usual to find a player like that. He can play on both sides, even if he’s right-footed. Agility of a winger, power of a defender. Technically, it’s a complete player. He has enough aerial play to play everywhere on the pitch. Even if he’s a player down the sides, when he has to play in the centre he has no issues.

Backroom staff roles during a game?

The help my staff give me is very important. Also, the staff are free to trust me with what they see on the pitch. One example is the last match. Their six started to bring the ball out and Pablo Quiroga told Bamford he should be closer to him than the other centre-back. We could stop him a little bit this player in this sector. This is one example we share with the staff. Each of us which is able to see or realise something, he can transmit.

What does the referee take fault with?

I deserve it (yellow card). There is a rule, you can put only two coaches and we don’t realise that when we are coaching there and after we used to make this mistakes, but we have more than two coaches close to the pitch. I said sorry for that. I don’t speak English. They need the help of Carlos and Diego Reyes as well. We make this mistake. Always, I feel I should talk English. Even if I understand a little English and can transmit ideas. I never find the time and tried to learn it a little bit more. When you work in country which is not your own country, you are forced to speak the language of the country.

Language barrier make it difficult here?

I should talk English. I should speak English because this is an obligation because I think I am forced to speak English in a country which receives you and gives you a job. The same in France, Germany and Czech Republic. If you talk about communication, for me, it’s not a problem. For me, if I speak less it’s better. If they are brief when they talk, much better. In my situation, I talk more than I should. Translation forces short sentences and I suffer.

Hernandez

He is better, but he and Forshaw are not going to be in the group on Saturday.

Challenges of losing Cooper?

Liam injured is not going to be longer than six weeks unless. We have Berardi, Davis, Phillips, Pascal, Olly Casey. We have a lot of players we are working with for a long time. Casey and Struijk are younger. Davis has played with us. Phillips is an option in this sector. Of course, Berardi is the direct substitution.

Shackleton out too - how to replace?

Yes, probably. Ayling for Dallas and Dallas for Shackleton. Klich for Shackleton and Roberts for Klich is the other option.

Millwall - played last year - different this season?

Even if the matches from last season and Saturday’s can be similar, the most important thing is it’s going to be a very tough match. As you’ve seen, every match leads to more or less quality in the opponent. Always, you have a big chance for this match to be hard in the Championship.

How did Tyler Roberts respond to being substituted against West Brom on Tuesday?

He shows a lot of generosity with me but he knows that my decision touched him and even he understood the situation but I know that this decision hurt him and it is difficult to overcome in a short time, this.

I have cleared this concept a long time ago, 15 years ago I took one similar decision and after 15 years the player who I take off of the pitch he is a very good person, he couldn’t assimilate this moment - even after 15 years.

What he said in the press is he regret himself in that moment to say nothing to me - to give me a strong message - that means for him it is difficult to accept these kind of decisions.

What I can explain is that he made a mistake after the first half. I interpret one situation in the game. And that moment did not happen. I thought that if we were going to put one player more offensive we were going to be able to adapt to this moment. After the match it was more difficult than I thought and the player had to try to resolve the situation - it is not my high point and after I doesn’t not make the second decision there is going to be a second mistake.

But if I remove the player, he is going to hurt.

Who was the player?

He was one player of the national team in Argentina and played in Milan and Italy, he knows that he is a good human being and person but after 15 years he didn’t forget and forgive. That means that this kind of substitution hurts. In Wembley I did the same with Sensini. At that time he marked one tall winger from England - Emile Heskey.

The first time he met Sensini he was 14 years old but he had to take this decision because he couldn’t mark him properly because of their different size. It wasn’t Sensini’s fault and he I have very good feeling with this player.

You have to know that I coach him from when he was 14 years old - a very professional player.