Why we will not go up this season

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
rss1969
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: Why we will not go up this season

Post by rss1969 »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
rss1969 wrote:You have actually strengthened my points but I am not going to list them all, nor quote as the resulting post becomes boring for forumers.
My posts are seen as negative and we are top of the table so will be deemed even more so.

A couple of key signings would strengthen our position but he will not sanction it. I am not a fan and not fooled by his PR, I am not alone in that opinion.

Anyhow, let’s keep this football up and hopefully our patience will be rewarded come May.
I don't see them as negative RSS, you're stating your opinion that you think we won't get promoted, simple as that. Unfortunately on social media, such opinions are often confused with the poster being miserable for the sake of it and almost 'wishing' defeat etc on the same team we support.

Your points are valid 8-) .
:thumbup: Well put ANS.

The question was asked "what do I want?" Well, the same as everyone else!

If it can be delivered with this style of play, even better.
astackofalpacas
Jock Stein's Brasso dealer

Post by astackofalpacas »

rss1969 wrote:You have actually strengthened my points but I am not going to list them all, nor quote as the resulting post becomes boring for forumers.
My posts are seen as negative and we are top of the table so will be deemed even more so.

A couple of key signings would strengthen our position but he will not sanction it. I am not a fan and not fooled by his PR, I am not alone in that opinion.

Anyhow, let’s keep this football up and hopefully our patience will be rewarded come May.
I don't necessarily think your posts are negative as such, I just think you're missing the point completely. It's not that he's being frugal and refusing to sanction it, it's that he clearly doesn't have the money - and if you really think spending money we don't have chasing dreams is worthwhile, clearly you can't have been a fan during the Ridsdale era. That nearly killed the club, and if you're honestly happy to risk that again, I'm clearly wasting my time.

He's invested in the club as a whole - he's bought the stadium back, spent money on the infrastructure and the staff after Cellino asset-stripped, revamped the academy, signed a fair few first team players (many who have been poor, yes), as well as hiring the most expensive manager in the club's history.

Radz is not an Abramovich or a Sheikh Mansour; he's never pretended to be. It's been very clear all along that he doesn't have a limitless pot of gold to throw around. He has, however, spent more money than he's taken out of the club.

He's made a lot of mistakes, no one is trying to deny that, but to give the man credit, he seems to learn from them. When he realised the managers weren't up to the standard, he didn't just go out and get a McCarthy or a Warnock, someone who knew the league, he goes out of his way to get one of the most revered coaches in recent history, spending huge amounts of money to bring him here. Last season he put undue pressure on TC and a new team, saying the play-offs were the absolute minimum expectation - he's kept his mouth quiet this year.

I think you're also forgetting that it's Bielsa himself who is saying we don't need three or four new signings, like you seem to think we do, to 'strengthen our position'. He wants a lean squad of 22/23 players - he doesn't have the room for 3/4 more, so why spend money on them? Bielsa is the one who has said he watched all our games from last season and was happy to work with 15 of the squad (BPF, Ayling, Berardi, Jansson, Cooper, Shaughnessy, Pearce, Phillips, Forshaw, Vieira, Dallas, Hernandez, Saiz, Alioski, Roofe) of the first team squad. He's brought in another 5 (Baker, Bamford, Blackman, Harrison, and Douglas), but lost Vieira, so already up to 19. He's brought Klich back in from the cold, finally seen Roberts in action, and is bringing Shackleton through. That's 22. To fit in with Bielsa's squad demands, we have maybe one more space.

Saying we need 3/4 more signings and claiming Radz is refusing to sanction them when the manager has insisted from day one he wants a lean squad of 22/23 players (2 for every position), which we already have, smacks of you trying to find a reason to blame Radz. If you want to blame anyone, blame Bielsa for not thinking we need these mythical signings - although given the start we've had, I somehow doubt anyone's going to be pointing the finger at Bielsa just now.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

Come January, injuries and suspensions kick in and if we're in or near top 6 (which I'm almost certain we will be) I think we must bring in 1 or 2 to strengthen our promotion chances. Lots already said on CB and I think the post on cover for Pablo is spot on, such a key player IMO. Cantona arriving mid-term clinched the league and the charity shield for me. Following year's disruption and transfers erased from my memory!
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

I think it's correct for Bielsa to say he's happy with the squad as it is for the time being. It's proving that it's good enough. It's also a bit of a myth that this is the same team that ended up doing so poorly last year - Ayling hardly played, Klich hardly played, Douglas is new and Peacock Farrell is new. That's over a quarter of a team and some very significant players there. Baker, Bamford and Harrison also look like they will play major parts this season and are an improvement on who they have replaced. Come January when the window re-opens it may be decided that more are needed but for now we are looking strong and bringing loads more in might just disrupt rather than improve us.
astackofalpacas
Jock Stein's Brasso dealer

Post by astackofalpacas »

Costy wrote:It's also a bit of a myth that this is the same team that ended up doing so poorly last year - Ayling hardly played, Klich hardly played, Douglas is new and Peacock Farrell is new.
I think the point is that every single player in the current first eleven, with the exception of Douglas, was available to be used by Christiansen at the start of last season, and indeed up until January. Whether he did or didn't use Peacock-Farrell and Klich is irrelevant - they were there and available to be used, but he persisted with Weidwald, Lonergan, and O'Kane.

Heckingbottom didn't have Klich (loan) or Ayling (injured), true, so he didn't quite have access to same resources that Christiansen did. He did play Peacock-Farrell a fair bit towards the end of the season though, so I wouldn't classify him as new.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

astackofalpacas wrote:
Costy wrote:It's also a bit of a myth that this is the same team that ended up doing so poorly last year - Ayling hardly played, Klich hardly played, Douglas is new and Peacock Farrell is new.
I think the point is that every single player in the current first eleven, with the exception of Douglas, was available to be used by Christiansen at the start of last season, and indeed up until January. Whether he did or didn't use Peacock-Farrell and Klich is irrelevant - they were there and available to be used, but he persisted with Weidwald, Lonergan, and O'Kane.

Heckingbottom didn't have Klich (loan) or Ayling (injured), true, so he didn't quite have access to same resources that Christiansen did. He did play Peacock-Farrell a fair bit towards the end of the season though, so I wouldn't classify him as new.
All that is true. But I've read and heard 'you cant believe this is the same set of players can you?' so mamy times when people are talking about how well we're doing, but, regardless of the reasons, it's not. Thankfully, the team that's being put out now is significantly better than the teams that were put out last season, and so is our coach. Hence the big improvement. Long may it continue!
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

For me Personally, I am holding my cards close to my chest and sitting on the fence a little. call it reluctance because of so many false dawns over the years. I have said over the past few weeks that this season is different. There seems to be a cohesion between manager and players. Whoever said the language barrier would affect the cohesion has to look at it again and say the opposite.

Bielsa is one of the most articulate managers in the world, and although i was born during the Revie years and i didn't get the chance to see Revie in the flesh nor the Mighty team in those days. There is somewhat a similar comparison between Bielsa and Revie for the intensity and articulate way they revolutionize a team set up. Revie was also using methods that were beyond other managers techniques at the time. Bielsa's techniques are not new but they are his own and they are transforming this team into winners.

I have always loved Leeds United ever since the first day i stepped into Elland road with my father in 1976, (1-1 against Liverpool), as a four year old kid and the feelings i get being apart of a family which is worldwide. Wilko's march towards the old second division title and then two years later being Champions of England are the happiest moments of my years as a Leeds Fan.

This year seems different indeed. We are onto something special and although i want to shout it out on every roof top that Leeds are going up because in my heart i believe this year is our year, I still am fearful that we might fall short again. I'm delighted with the way we have collected thirteen points out of the maximum of fifteen. Its not the points its the manner in which we have played that pleases me. The team are on fire and i have to believe that this fire will keep burning come this Friday against Middlesborough who in truth are also flying high this year.

I believe we can beat Middlesborough and beat them well, but in truth both teams would be happy with a point and i would gratefully take that even if we are home. It would round off a fantastic August being unbeaten. Remember who we have faced so far were considered teams who would be in the mix come next May we have thrashed them and showed them what we are capable of. How could you not love this style of football.....

MOT.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

CorkWhite wrote:For me Personally, I am holding my cards close to my chest and sitting on the fence a little. call it reluctance because of so many false dawns over the years. I have said over the past few weeks that this season is different. There seems to be a cohesion between manager and players. Whoever said the language barrier would affect the cohesion has to look at it again and say the opposite.

Bielsa is one of the most articulate managers in the world, and although i was born during the Revie years and i didn't get the chance to see Revie in the flesh nor the Mighty team in those days. There is somewhat a similar comparison between Bielsa and Revie for the intensity and articulate way they revolutionize a team set up. Revie was also using methods that were beyond other managers techniques at the time. Bielsa's techniques are not new but they are his own and they are transforming this team into winners.

I have always loved Leeds United ever since the first day i stepped into Elland road with my father in 1976, (1-1 against Liverpool), as a four year old kid and the feelings i get being apart of a family which is worldwide. Wilko's march towards the old second division title and then two years later being Champions of England are the happiest moments of my years as a Leeds Fan.

This year seems different indeed. We are onto something special and although i want to shout it out on every roof top that Leeds are going up because in my heart i believe this year is our year, I still am fearful that we might fall short again. I'm delighted with the way we have collected thirteen points out of the maximum of fifteen. Its not the points its the manner in which we have played that pleases me. The team are on fire and i have to believe that this fire will keep burning come this Friday against Middlesborough who in truth are also flying high this year.

I believe we can beat Middlesborough and beat them well, but in truth both teams would be happy with a point and i would gratefully take that even if we are home. It would round off a fantastic August being unbeaten. Remember who we have faced so far were considered teams who would be in the mix come next May we have thrashed them and showed them what we are capable of. How could you not love this style of football.....

MOT.
Good post that CW, sums up my own views. Hope all is well with you. :thumbup:
I once played against Don Revie.
CrisPeacock
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by CrisPeacock »

in Poland we have a TV show where players answer questions, today's guest was Mateusz Klich, there were 30 questions and you have to answer YES or NO + you can avoid answering only once, he did it when asked "will Leeds be in the Premier League next season?" :lolno:
LUFCTALK Prediction League Winner 2014-2015
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

CrisPeacock wrote:in Poland we have a TV show where players answer questions, today's guest was Mateusz Klich, there were 30 questions and you have to answer YES or NO + you can avoid answering only once, he did it when asked "will Leeds be in the Premier League next season?" :lolno:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very politic :thumbup: