Norman Hunter

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Norman Hunter

Post by NottinghamWhite »

We haven't done a profile on a United legend for awhile so here we go.

Norman ( bites yer legs ) Hunter born 29/10/1943 played 540 games for Leeds, weighing in with 18 goals. An integral member of the hugely successful Revie team Norman was a brilliant defender. He joined as a 15 year old, giving up a job as an electrical fitter. He made his first team debut in 1962 forming a partnership at the back with Jack Charlton that lasted over a decade. One of my great memories of him was going up to the Royal box at Wembley to collect his winners medal & then climbed up those stairs again to help Mick Jones who had dislocated his elbow to receive his. In 1974 Norman was the first winner of the PFA Players Player of the Year award. I'll never forget in 1975 at the Baseball Ground, the home of Derby County & that fight with Francis Lee. Norman threw the first punch splitting Lees lip with Lee fighting back with the spirit of Joe Frazier. The highlight was Paul Reaneys face as he saw the fight start again as the players were leaving the pitch after being sent off.

Norman's England career was somewhat limited as he was cover for Bobby Moore ( 108 England caps) though Norman was in the 1966 World Cup winning squad, however he had to wait till 2009 before receiving a winners medal. He eventually made 28 England apperances.

Norman left Leeds in 1976 joining Bristol City making 108 apperances & also in 1979 joined Barnsley making 31 apperances before becoming their manager. Norman also managed Rotherham for 2 years & had a spell as Leeds caretaker manager in 1988.

Winner of the Europa League
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Re: Norman Hunter

Post by ilkley62 »

Thanks NW, great player, think Don described him as Mr Consistent 8 out 10 every week without fail, on reflection I've always thought he left a year or 2 too early
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Norman Hunter was a boyhood favourite of mine. Not a man to be crossed but fair. He will be remembered as a tough defender rather than the cultured footballer that he was. The nickname of " Bites Yer Legs " was a phrase used on a fan-made banner back in the 1972 Cup Final but quickly became synonymous with Norman as he was seen as the 'enforcer' in the side. Norman's honours.

Squad member of the 1966 World Cup winners.
2 Division 1 winners medals
1 FA Cup winners medal
1 League Cup winners medal
2 Fairs ( UEFA ) winners medals

Norman Hunter, Leeds United and England legend.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

And an absolute gent on match days. Made my little girl's day with his nickname, his super smart attire and a hug :-)