Penalties Now 58 games

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: Penalties

Post by kk white »

rigger wrote:Apparently Galway hold the world record with 72 :wtf:
I've seen Galway United regularly over the years.

They can't complain, as unfortunately the ball is never in the opposition box to begin with...
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

kk_white wrote:
rigger wrote:Apparently Galway hold the world record with 72 :wtf:
I've seen Galway United regularly over the years.

They can't complain, as unfortunately the ball is never in the opposition box to begin with...
:D

I did wonder !
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Now 55 games :roll:
I'm sure we are due very soon - it's not that we're not getting them ...it's that the officials ain't giving em! That handball last night a case in point. Maybe we'll get one or two (London bus syndrome) on Saturday ... my hunch is we'll need some help in that one!
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Just been reading about the Dog Botherers and penalties:-

Huddersfield Town have one of the worst records for being awarded penalties in the top two divisions of English football.

The Terriers have won just two league spot-kicks since the start of the 2017/18 campaign. That works out at just one penalty for every 25.5 league games played.

Only Leeds United (one every 32 matches) and Burnley (none from 50) have worse record in that time.

Town’s last penalty in a league game was against Bournemouth on February 11, which Rajiv van La Parra converted to hand Town a 4-1 win.

That was 288 days ago, which is one of the longest waits in the top two divisions.

Burnley have been waiting the longest (590 days) followed by Leeds (408), Fulham (317) and then the Terriers.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

On a side note, I can't help reading the title of this in a Chris Waddle voice .. you know, the way he can't say the word itself and instead pronounces it "Pel-ant-eeeee" :D
dlw10

Post by dlw10 »

Just out of interest I posted on Twitter earlier that our ref tomorrow, Oliver Langford, is the ref who gave most penalties in the Championship last season! He was also the ref for the Burton game we won 5 - 0 in which he gave one of course. The only others we got last season were from Darren Bond (the one in normal time at Burnley in the CC) and the Jeremy Simpson one in the Reading game last season - the last one we got of course - which Pablo had saved by Vito Mannone. So, tomorrow may just be the day - Langford has given 2 this season in 11 games.
Karolkarol
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Karolkarol »

dlw10 wrote:Just out of interest I posted on Twitter earlier that our ref tomorrow, Oliver Langford, is the ref who gave most penalties in the Championship last season! He was also the ref for the Burton game we won 5 - 0 in which he gave one of course. The only others we got last season were from Darren Bond (the one in normal time at Burnley in the CC) and the Jeremy Simpson one in the Reading game last season - the last one we got of course - which Pablo had saved by Vito Mannone. So, tomorrow may just be the day - Langford has given 2 this season in 11 games.
Just means he'll give one to the Blunts.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

rigger wrote:On a side note, I can't help reading the title of this in a Chris Waddle voice .. you know, the way he can't say the word itself and instead pronounces it "Pel-ant-eeeee" :D
For me he always makes me want me to say Beer Can Sand Ditches or alternatively Why Aye You Bouger in my best Oz (Auf Wiedersehen Pet) voice :D

When's the football on again?
Keep The Faith / WAL
dlw10

Post by dlw10 »

Karolkarol wrote:
dlw10 wrote:Just out of interest I posted on Twitter earlier that our ref tomorrow, Oliver Langford, is the ref who gave most penalties in the Championship last season! He was also the ref for the Burton game we won 5 - 0 in which he gave one of course. The only others we got last season were from Darren Bond (the one in normal time at Burnley in the CC) and the Jeremy Simpson one in the Reading game last season - the last one we got of course - which Pablo had saved by Vito Mannone. So, tomorrow may just be the day - Langford has given 2 this season in 11 games.
Just means he'll give one to the Blunts.

Good point!
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

dlw10 wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:Now 55 games :roll:
I'm sure we are due very soon - it's not that we're not getting them ...it's that the officials ain't giving em! That handball last night a case in point. Maybe we'll get one or two (London bus syndrome) on Saturday ... my hunch is we'll need some help in that one!
After Alioski's shenanigans in the last match and allied with one or two others in the side that seem to keel over at the slightest real or imagined touch there is a risk that the whole team is tarred with the same brush. The likelihood of the men in black giving us a Pen diminishes.

Do we even have a designated penalty taker?
Keep The Faith / WAL