10 games in

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: 10 games in

Post by Nic »

Will there be a 20 games in thread? That really should give us an indication of where we are and expect to be at the end of the season. If we are on 40pts, then I would say we are in with a shout of an auto-promotion spot, less that that and maybe its time to consider that maybe play-offs is the highest we get.

So that's 5 wins and no losses, or at least 6 wins from

Blackburn Rovers v Leeds United
Leeds United v Ipswich Town
Leeds United v Nottingham Forest
Wigan Athletic v Leeds United
West Bromwich Albion v Leeds United
Leeds United v Bristol City
Leeds United v Reading
Sheffield United v Leeds United
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Blackburn Rovers v Leeds United Win
Leeds United v Ipswich Town Win
Leeds United v Nottingham Forest Win
Wigan Athletic v Leeds United Win
West Bromwich Albion v Leeds United Draw
Leeds United v Bristol City Draw
Leeds United v Reading Win
Sheffield United v Leeds United Lose
Leeds United v Nottingham Forest Draw

18 points :thumbup:
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Interesting that by this time last season we'd seen how the wheels had come off and we'd dropped to 10th. We were already 12 points off top and continued to ship points this time we are still in the mix. We've played one game less this season, hit a slump and have only amassed 3 more points so the others are dropping points just like us.

Yes we are not hammering sides like we did Stoke and Derby at the start but no side this season has grasped this league by the throat. Derby have had a bit of a run, so have M'bro, Norwich, WBA and Forest but they too have hit slumps. I love the fitness of this side, it showed again in the last 30 mins of the game yesterday but I always thought that other sides would catch us up in that department but so far I think we have been so much fitter than sides we've played. If we can get our game sorted in the final third I feel we'll be up there at the end of the season.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

So it's a case of we don't have to do well, just only have to do as well as others - this year does seem different. Those you expect to have gone on a run have faltered, and a couple who have started a good run had bad starts so not yet amassed the points. Norwich and Birmingham going on decent winning spells, so dropping points over the next few games may be more apparent. Our fitness in the final 30 minutes is good, if we could capitalise and score then it could see us snatch a lot of matches late on.
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

Davycc wrote:Interesting that by this time last season we'd seen how the wheels had come off and we'd dropped to 10th. We were already 12 points off top and continued to ship points this time we are still in the mix. We've played one game less this season, hit a slump and have only amassed 3 more points so the others are dropping points just like us.

Yes we are not hammering sides like we did Stoke and Derby at the start but no side this season has grasped this league by the throat. Derby have had a bit of a run, so have M'bro, Norwich, WBA and Forest but they too have hit slumps. I love the fitness of this side, it showed again in the last 30 mins of the game yesterday but I always thought that other sides would catch us up in that department but so far I think we have been so much fitter than sides we've played. If we can get our game sorted in the final third I feel we'll be up there at the end of the season.
Looking at that Picture of last season makes me believe that the experience of two things are what makes this season a better one for us the fans even if at times we are losing our way a little in some matches regarding the outcomes. Bielsa's coaching and as you said the fitness levels of the team. Secondly the desire not to fall apart in games. Many of our matches that we have drawn has seen us fight back to get the point. Last season we would have gave up and lost by a margin.

Where were Fulham? They were promoted through the playoff's and finished the regular season only two points behind Cardiff. They had a fantastic second half to the season which is what i would like us to do this year. All it takes is for the Bielsalona factor to kick in and grasp this huge opportunity to start pulling away from the rest. I suspect that we are still lacking in one or two areas and we're winging it somehow until January and then maybe we can purchase one or two solid players who can deliver the piece we all need to see in the team.
dlw10

Post by dlw10 »

Good point re Fulham! They were 17th with only 19 points at this time! With the division being so tight this time it is still possible for anyone - even Ipswich!- to do the same as they did if they can just get it together!. My slight worry is how it is now apparent that there is actually only 1 line up that looks like the real Bielsa line up and we are never now able to put it on the field due to injuries or suspensions! ie the team looks like BPf, Ayling, Jansson, Coops, Douglas, Phillips, Alioski, Saiz, Klich, Hernandez and Roofe. Is this why our results have stuttered since the ability to field that team has gone. At Wigan we ought to only be short of Ayling but we saw last season how our results then faltered when he was out. Interesting. Still would love to see CLarke given the start at Wigan - let's blast them from the start and see how that goes.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

dlw10 wrote: My slight worry is how it is now apparent that there is actually only 1 line up that looks like the real Bielsa line up and we are never now able to put it on the field due to injuries or suspensions! ie the team looks like BPf, Ayling, Jansson, Coops, Douglas, Phillips, Alioski, Saiz, Klich, Hernandez and Roofe.
I agree completely that that is now our preferred line up but just checked and believe it or not we have yet to field it. :crazy:

To be honest if you would have asked me pre-season I would have expected Blackman instead of BPF, Forshaw instead of Klich and Bamford instead of Roofe but the 3 players I saw as been at risked have earned their regular spot.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Next 2 sets of games see.

Ipswich Town v WBA
Rotherham United v Sheffield United
Leeds United v Bristol City
Sheffield Wednesday v Derby County
Swansea City v Norwich City
Brentford v Middlesbrough

Brentford v Sheffield United
Hull City v Norwich City
Leeds United v Reading
PNE v Middlesbrough
Swansea City v WBA
Stoke City v Derby County
Winner of the Europa League
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

If it is the case that every team that has played us this season follows up our game with a loss (as has been mentioned on here in other threads) then an unlikely win for Ipswich could be on the cards.
ChilwellWhite

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Interestingly enough all the other 5 teams in the top six have two away games, whereas we have two home games. We really need to take full home advantage in these two games. Nothing less than six points..