99 years old

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

99 years old

Post by Selby White »

Happy Birthday Leeds United

Formed Oct 17th 1919.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: 99 years old

Post by NottinghamWhite »

My highlights during those years were winning the FA Cup in 1972 & winning the league at Anfield in 1969. Am now in my 52nd season as a White & for the first time in many years I'm starting to believe under Bielsa again.
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Would be fitting indeed if we were to get promotion in our centenary year.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

When I saw my first game at ER we were a relatively new club, only been going for 33 years. :shock: I once got changed in the dressing rooms under the old main stand, the one that burned down in 1956.
I once played against Don Revie.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

I suppose ground changes are the most noticeable. The east stand was Lowfields Road, the south stand was the scratching shed & the Gelderdend is now the Revie stand. There's always been a great atmosphere inside ER even in the 80's when crowds were low. I was there on the 15th March 1967 when the record crowd was set at 57,892 in a FA Cup replay v Sunderland, they reckon a further 10,000 were locked out that night. I was also there in September 69 when we beat Lyn Oslo by 10-0. Who could ever forget that outstanding display in 1972 putting 7 past Southampton or Eddies wonder goal in 1970 v Burnley. Great memories.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Only been to ER 5 times :( (but planning a visit in March)
I still cherish the memory of David Wetherall's goal v Man U in Sept 1997. Was sat in the cheese wedge, so got a brilliant view of it.
Just as enjoyable was the 'singing' to the Away end for 30 mins or more after the final whistle :lol:
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Thinking about ER, I've stood in all sides of the ground and also sat in all four. Have also had season tickets in 3 sides of the ground the only one not is the South Stand but stood there for my first ever match (Scratching Shed) in 1967 ish.

My first season ticket cost £8 if I remember correctly and was in the West stand Paddock (always stood somewhere close to the away team dugout close to the tunnel).
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

99 years.
814 players
4492 games
6720 goals
4386 points
3 league titles
3 second tier titles
4 promotions
1 FA Cup
1 League Cup
2 Fairs Cups
2 Charity Shields
2 Youth cup

Happy birthday indeed. On, On, On.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Hundreds of great memories watching the club, and I wasn’t even around for the Revie era.

One of the funniest was sitting the back of the car traveling home from an FA Cup game against QPR, Brendan Ormsby had scored in the last few minutes to send us through. I travelled with a family friend at the time, and we saw a fella limping away from the ground, I felt really sorry for him.

As we inched through the traffic, our driver wound the window down and asked him what he had done. Nothing, he said, my shoe came off when it went mental when Ormsby scored and I can’t find it :lol: :lol: :lol:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

Been down to ER today to show Mrs PW my bremner square stone.
She was impressed with it & the whole bremner square site.
Had a few photos of me with it and with King Billy & Sir Don, me with the obligatory goofy grin.
She was pleased with all this.
I then explained the significance of today in regards to Lufc and her eyes glazed over and it all went right over her head.
She couldn't give a bugga. :lol: