HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

#BornOnThisDay in 1944, Paul Madeley would play 727 times for #LUFC, winning First and Second Division titles, the FA Cup, League Cup, Charity Shield, and Fairs Cup. What was your favourite memory of him?
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Way too many memories of him to be honest. He really was a local hero, born in Beeston. I remember him signing from Farsley Celtic. Probably the most versatile footballer anywhere having played in every position except goalkeeper. I can remember him scoring away to Juventus to win the Fairs Cup in 1971 ( I think ) Paul was unlucky not to get more than 24 England caps ( similar to Norman’s 28 caps ) due to the strength of the England side at the time.

There’s a lovely story regarding Jimmy Armfield where Paul signed a blank piece of paper as his contract JA asked how much he wanted & how long a contract he wanted PM said I’ll leave that to you all I want to do is play for Leeds United, that’s why he’s a true legend in my eyes.

I last saw him at the unveiling of the Dons statue dinner & I shed a tear or two as I could see how ill he was.

R.I.P. Rolls Royce.
Winner of the Europa League
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I remember when he played schoolboy football. The names of Paul and Michael Madeley where regularly on the back sports page of the Yorkshire Post and News. It was obvious that they were going to go far in the game. I played against Mick Madeley several times when he played for Farsley Celtic. He was a very good 'right-half', midfielder in today's parlance. Gave up football to watch Paul play when he broke into Leeds first team. Rolls Royce is the perfect description for Paul, though Land Rover could also be used as he could 'go anywhere'.
RIP.
I once played against Don Revie.