Leeds United v Scum in Oz

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: Leeds United v Scum in Oz

Post by Sniffer »

Mr Russell wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:I don't know about you? but i'd do anything for a Castlemaine XXXX, oh and what's that other quality stuff they love over there.... Fosters that's it. :shifty:
You know the funny thing is that no Aussies actually drink Fosters that is why we send it overseas. In my 28+ years I've never seen it in any pub/club.

XXXX should tell you what that beer is like! Queenslanders love the stuff apparently.
I was there in 91/92 and it was VB (or MB) that most people seemed to drink. I liked Big Red, I think that's what it was called, occasionally. There was a popular Sydney beer that I wasn't too enamoured with. As Mr R says Queenslanders seem to love Castlemaine. Each to their own and all that but I watched the State of Origin games with a Queenslander and he got a slab of XXXX for each one.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Mr Russell wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:I don't know about you? but i'd do anything for a Castlemaine XXXX, oh and what's that other quality stuff they love over there.... Fosters that's it. :shifty:
You know the funny thing is that no Aussies actually drink Fosters that is why we send it overseas. In my 28+ years I've never seen it in any pub/club.

XXXX should tell you what that beer is like! Queenslanders love the stuff apparently.
My daughters ‘Aussie’ boyfriend only drinks rum. Makes it dead easy for Christmas presents.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Sniffer wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

I was there in 91/92 and it was VB (or MB) that most people seemed to drink. I liked Big Red, I think that's what it was called, occasionally. There was a popular Sydney beer that I wasn't too enamoured with. As Mr R says Queenslanders seem to love Castlemaine. Each to their own and all that but I watched the State of Origin games with a Queenslander and he got a slab of XXXX for each one.
If that Sydney beer was called Toohey's then i can understand your feelings towards it, its the only beer ever to give me headache even after one sip. VB (Victoria bitter) is still popular and MB (Melbourne Bitter) is still around. Was the Big Red by Powers? (not popular anymore if it is). XXXX is still very popular even out of Queensland but even they have delved into the craft beer by doing a pale ale (not too bad) but finally has some competition from a Brewery called "Great Northern" which is popular around the country.

A lot of people have gone off the mainstream beers and are into craft beers (like myself) nowadays
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

Mr Russell wrote:
Sniffer wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

If that Sydney beer was called Toohey's then i can understand your feelings towards it, its the only beer ever to give me headache even after one sip. VB (Victoria bitter) is still popular and MB (Melbourne Bitter) is still around. Was the Big Red by Powers? (not popular anymore if it is). XXXX is still very popular even out of Queensland but even they have delved into the craft beer by doing a pale ale (not too bad) but finally has some competition from a Brewery called "Great Northern" which is popular around the country.

A lot of people have gone off the mainstream beers and are into craft beers (like myself) nowadays
Tooheys. That's the one. Not nice. Power's Big Red. Yes. Quite strong if I remember correctly. There was also one called Southwark that I was pleased to hear was pronounced "Suthurk".

Lots of craft beers here too but, being in the South West of England, there are a lot of traditional ciders as well. Not an easy place to be tea-total. ;)
Deebo
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Deebo »

So excited for this. I have been saying for years that Leeds are missing a trick by no following up on the fan base here.

Fingers crossed a Melbourne game gets thrown in too.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Mr Russell wrote:

So they do have Forster's brewery's then? I presumed it was just made up for Marketing purposes. Carlsberg is another lager like drinking your own piss. Unless you like Special brew, then after 4 cans you end up drinking your own piss. :shh: :shh:
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

So they do have Forster's brewery's then? I presumed it was just made up for Marketing purposes. Carlsberg is another lager like drinking your own piss. Unless you like Special brew, then after 4 cans you end up drinking your own piss. :shh: :shh:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

:lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:

Fosters is now owned by a Brewery holdings company called Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV (long name i know), CUB (Carlton United Brewing - Aussie brewery) used to own Fosters until 2011 then ABMiller bought them out until 2016. Fosters was popular up until the late 1980's then it disappeared from sight.

Fosters is now brewed only in the UK in (wait for it) Manchester. Its the 2nd biggest beer in the UK after Carling.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Deebo wrote:So excited for this. I have been saying for years that Leeds are missing a trick by no following up on the fan base here.

Fingers crossed a Melbourne game gets thrown in too.
100% agree!

Hope the Sydney game happens! or even better venture up the road to my home city of Newcastle :thumbup:
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Mr Russell wrote:

Tooheys Old Dark Ale... mmmm!
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay