January

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

January

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Let's say Bielsa is given a £20m war chest in January who would you bring to the club ?
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: January

Post by Selby White »

Don't think we need too many in and wouldn't like to see say 5 players worth around £4mill as would probably be no better than what we have and may be a risk to the team ethic we have in the squad.

However say 2 players worth in the region of £10mill and Prem standard would be a step forward.

Who ? No idea who we could attract that fits the above profile.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Top of the shopping list has to be a central defender & a pacy winger. No need for a striker as Bamford &'Brown will be back. As Bartley isn't doing well at West Brom then I'd like to see him back paired up with Pontus.
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

£20m ??

I think that's optimistic.

It really doesn't sound like MB wants to sign anyone so I doubt we'll make a permanent transfer of any kind.
A couple of loans to add depth, maybe, but I genuinely think he likes what he sees coming through from the academy.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Back up keeper I think would be the number one priority but then we cant read MB's mind.

He keeps saying we dont require any players.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Other than a keeper, I doubt we will see any new additions, particularly as we have so many players coming back in January.

The likes of Bamford, Ayling and a little bit later, Berardi, will feel like new signings in themselves.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Still think we need a striker. Not sure about Bamford, don't think he has the ability to do what we need. Maybe someone like Vokes at Burnley would give us the beef we need up front. If we had someone putting themselves about in the penalty area it would also create chances for others.
I once played against Don Revie.
swindonwhite
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by swindonwhite »

Keeper goes without saying - CB & a Winger would be where my money goes - But MB seems happy with what he has - lets hope this season of injury woes has cleared his head of that silly thought. A couple of quality editions could mean the difference between promotion & missing out for another 12 months - or day I say - automatic promotion & not the Play offs - please lets go for it.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

The squad we have seem to have all bought into MB's way of playing, they work as a team and certainly know their own role in the master plan.
We have a team togetherness that many squads lack, team spirit is excellent.
However good some signings may be individually there can't be any guarantee that they would immediately settle into their given position and may even disrupt the team spirit.

Also bringing in new players will push some of our younger players down the pecking order and may limit their chances.

Still I'm a great believer in coaching and developing players and love the way MB is doing the job.
We are currently 4 points clear of 3rd place and have had a string of injuries that other teams wouldn't have copped with.
For some fans on various sites suggesting we are not going for it if we don't sign is daft.

Keep improving what we have and unless a Championship Messi, Ronaldo or Modric (eg, the best of other top teams) become available signings would be the risky thing to do.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

There will always fans who believe in the bottomless football money pit - a club isn't showing ambition unless it replaces half the squad each year and when a player isn't on form we should "get rid of 'em".

I agree we have great team ethos, just look at how injured players came on the pitch after the game to congratulate those who played - it matters to them. Leicester won the title because their squad was more than the sum of the players, it should not be underestimated. Whoever comes in needs to buy into the team ethos, or risk undoing the season. We have Bamford coming back who will be like a new signing as he has not had a decent run out and it already got the team ethos. Another striker who isn't right and we could go like last season when Lasogga came in and our game play changed for the worse.

Do we go for young loanies who may spend more games on the bench or proven players who expect to be slotted in the first team immediately. Is it because we need quality for the final push or in case injuries strike and we need replacements to slot in. We are one point off top spot and have survived having injuries so far this season. Sure, I would like a couple of extra players - just in case, but happy to go with MB if we don't sign another player.