January

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Shadwell White
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Re: January

Post by Shadwell White »

We need another keeper as we only have one and a junior. I'd like to see a centre half, a good loan would do, say Gary Cahill for six months. We haven't got a fit right back either so either get Coyle back or add another, hopefully Ayling and Berardi will back early Jan, so only temporary fix needed. Upfront a powerful running winger and I think we'll be fine.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I'd like Coyle back and I would LOVE Cahill.
That would be amazing, but there's no way he'll come to us - money, prestige, rival club, etc ..

Huth might be a shout as someone else said.
Not sure how mobile he is now, though.

One of the kids from Liverpool or City would do, too.

As for the running winger, Izzy Brown can play wide and with Bamford coming back I think Roofe could be pushed out there again too, though I think he deserves to stay where he is now he's proven himself after a run of games.
Shadwell White
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Shadwell White »

rigger wrote:I'd like Coyle back and I would LOVE Cahill.
That would be amazing, but there's no way he'll come to us - money, prestige, rival club, etc ..

As for the running winger, Izzy Brown can play wide and with Bamford coming back I think Roofe could be pushed out there again too, though I think he deserves to stay where he is now he's proven himself after a run of games.
I think Cahill would be a great move, he's not playing at Chelsea. He could come to Leeds win promotion, get a huge bonus and a possible transfer to a massive club playing in the PL, he's a Northern lad so this might be perfect for him. Cooper Jansson and Cahill that would be nice.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

rigger wrote:I'd like Coyle back and I would LOVE Cahill.

I'd like to see Coyle given an opportunity too, although Dallas is really starting to come into the role and he's clearly well regarded by Bielsa - getting the armband from Pablo versus Sheff Utd ahead the likes of Forshaw and Jansson, who were still on the pitch.

In terms of CBs, I would like to see someone who can play CB and DM come in, but I expect that Bielsa will be happy with his options, particularly with Ayling and Berardi returning. I do, however, think we will definitely sign a GK.

As much as I'd like a winger, unless we end Harrison's loan early I can't see it. With Clarke coming through and Brown and Bamford returning, I think we're good there for the time being. Like you, I could definitely see Roofe moving out wide to accommodate Bamford - he put in a great shift there vs Sheffield United, once Pablo was moved inside to play as a false 9.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Deleted User 5220

Post by Deleted User 5220 »

Despite the fact we have been riding our luck, a lot down to injuries, subsequent churn on playing 11, and some questionable (and split views) ability at times of some players, I am not convinced we need, or perhaps should go out to the market.

I think we need to get Xmas out of the way first and see how many are left with injuries that puts them out for most of the rest of the season.

There are still improvements that can be made to our performances so MB should be focusing on that, which no doubt he is doing.
Professor Giles
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Professor Giles »

We need an experienced first-choice keeper such as Heaton or somebody else of that calibre. BPF is simply not good enough (yet) for a promotion-winning team. Roofe's mobility and work rate suits El Loco's style of play, but I feel that we need a big physical striker in the mould of Becchio or Wood to unsettle defences, convert some of those crosses and maybe even win a few penalties. Knowing our luck with referees, I'd settle for even one penalty before the end of the season at this stage. There is obviously an unofficial rule at Football League level that you don't give LUFC a penalty unless they are 4-0 up or 0-4 down with two minutes to go. :twisted: Bielsa probably sees Bamford as the new striker, but I'm not so sure - hope I'm wrong. Roberts is clearly not ready yet.
Interesting that Izzy Brown played on the left for the U23s. He could turn out to be a real asset when he's fit. I would also like to see a new centre-half but again MB sees Berardi in that role and will use Phillips or Halme there also when necessary, so he won't buy or loan a CB. We do not seem to be flush with the cash, so I suspect we will just loan an inexperienced keeper 'to compete with Bradley' and that will be it. In which case, we won't get promoted, as some of our competitors will invest heavily in January. :cry:
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Why would we bring in an inexperienced keeper when we have enough already?

We're looking at getting an experienced one in on loan, I can see it in the tealeaves :D

Regarding other signings, I can't see much if anything being spent - it's interesting to speculate about who we should/could buy or borrow but at half way stage of the season, the players in good form won't be released, we might only be offered first teamers who aren't getting regular games or players who are recovering from injuries. Clubs won't offer their star performers or the players who will give their all for THEIR cause. IMHO.