No January Signings

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: No January Signings

Post by PhoenixUnited »

It is a shock (and a very pleasant surprise!) to me that we are where we are with the size of squad that we have.

I can’t say I disagree with many on here who say that we need to make signings. However, I not believe that we will be doing much in the way of transfer business in January mainly because we have the funds but also because Marcelo Bielsa is single minded on how he wants to work and seems to have been consistent in his belief that a small, defined squad is the right way forward.

I think we will bring in a keeper but not incidentally one that will automatically shove Bailey Peacock Farrell aside. After that I doubt anyone else will be coming in.

Just on the availability of funds I still can’t work out where or at what level the input from the ‘49rs is. You would think that the position we are in currently in there would be some minds thinking that an injection just now to bring in a couple of quality players might just tip the balance further in our favour? Then again if the Head Coach is resisting any boost to his squad the issue becomes academic.

Just a final thought might be that there might be eyes shifting in this direction from some outfit or another thinking that the time might be right to make Andrea Radrizzani an offer that he couldn’t refuse…………
Keep The Faith / WAL
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

I think a simple check-list for us this coming January is something along the lines of:

# Who BETTER than what we have is available for sale or loan and is fully fit and 'raring to go' for Leeds.
# Which if any positions Bielsa considers as needing reinforcements
# Which clubs in their right minds would offload very good players, especially if in the Championship it would be to one of their main competitors.

Funding is obviously essential too but I've no idea how much if any is available.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

rss1969 wrote:We need a keeper IMO.

BPF has promise but has cost us goals. Considering up to now that we concede less chances than most we cannot afford to be letting in as many soft goals as we have.

BPF will improve but there is nothing wrong with moving him out of the firing line and learning from a more experienced keeper like Darlow for a while.

I cannot believe that Blackman was bought to the club to be no2 but Bielsa did not fancy him for some reason (same can be said for all of our loans who have had little or no impact at all).

Saturdays gaff was an awful mistake that 99% of the time would have cost us all 3 points. He has made big errors against WBA, Birmingham, Blackburn. He should have done much better with goals against us from Villa, Derby, Forest and Wigan.

If we were now mid-table, there would be big calls for him to be dropped. I want the lad to do well, especially as he is one of our youth players but we must seize the opportunity that we have created. We are going to have a run where we do not play well and things will go against us...........we need a good keeper to help us through that patch.
Agree with all of that. To get promoted you need to win most games, so a keeper who concedes goals that he should save fairly often is a big no no and there's not much room for loyalty. I know he makes good saves at times but that's his job. All keepers make the odd error throughout their careers but he's made a lot just this season and it's hard to say whether that's down to inexperience etc. or just down to him not being quite good enough. It would be gutting if his errors ended up causing us to miss out.
zigzag
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by zigzag »

We effectively have a number of 'new' signings coming from the squad Bamford & Brown havent featured to a meaningful degree, add in Cooper and Berardi at the back and Dallas as a utility player and we have added to the current fit and bonded squad without adding in an unknown, both in terms of fitness, style of play and group harmony. Having saud that there us one postion which stands apart in any team and that is goalkeeper, here a bit of competition for BPF and the learning
opportunities that an experienced keeper could provide could be beneficial in the run in, a keeper doesn't need to fit in with the team style of play to the same extent as an outfield player.

However as an outside punt how about Forestieri to replace Saiz, hes a player we hate in opposition ranks but would love in our own ranks, is a like for like Saiz replacement, I believe is from Rosario, and SW arent in great shape. Possibility ?
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Otherworld »

I think Forestieri might be otherwise occupied soon...
Grumpy
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Grumpy »

I think we would need to be very careful about bringing in players in January. In my view, we should only look at replacements for the ones we have lost - Saiz and Blackman. I can’t see us buying anyone but if we did, it would/should be someone capable of playing in the premiership now or next year in the event that we do get promoted. I would prefer loans to the end of the season with an option (our choice) to buy at the end of any loan period.

For a Saiz replacement, I presume we have looked at our players out on loan to see if there are any performing well enough to be recalled. Remember it is not a direct replacement but an ‘emergency’ case we are looking at in the case of injury. We should also have a good look in that magic box called Thorpe Arch which is being used to very good effect up to now. Given that Bielsa seems capable of getting a corner flag to put in a good performance, are there any possibilities hidden in there?

For goalkeeping, first of all I think it is just a case of loss of confidence on the part of BPF and that could be eased if our ‘fans’ stopped their public negative comments on his performances. And what about approaching Chelsea for Rob Green on loan. He is very experienced and could be an ideal mentor for BPF. Green is 38 which is not necessarily too old for a keeper so he could still play if/when required. I’ve always thought it was a mistake letting him go and obviously Chelsea have/had enough confidence in his keeping abilities to take him on.
lufctrav
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by lufctrav »

At the beginning of the season, Angus Kinnear on Talking Schutt stated that Bielsa wanted 2 players to compete for each position.
Breaking down the squad...

BPF ... Huffer
Ayling Shackleton
Jansson Halme
Cooper Berardi
Douglas Pearce
Phillips Forshaw
Klich Baker
Hernandez Brown
Alioski Clarke
Harrison Dallas
Roofe Bamford Roberts

The only hole i see in a Bielsa squad is at GK and even there, Huffer was given an opportunity instead of an emergency loan.
I do feel that a keeper who'll push BPF will be a good thing but otherwise, i don't see any additions unless someone of quality comes available like Douglas did.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

No point bringing players in if they are getting splinters on the bench or a look in.

At most we might get 1 or 2 in. MB trusts who he has already and doesnt want to rock the boat with his current players. If they aren't first XI players coming then not worth it.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

I would go all out for Neal Maupay who is 22 and alongside Dwight Gayle is already the most clinical finisher in the division and can play attacking midfield. I'd also bring in a proven quality goalkeeper. Get those two and I think top 2 is nailed on.
sgt_pooly
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by sgt_pooly »

"For goalkeeping, first of all I think it is just a case of loss of confidence on the part of BPF and that could be eased if our ‘fans’ stopped their public negative comments on his performances."

I've seen this mentioned a few times and to be Frank, its utter rubbish to suggest this.

BPF has continually made errors this season, you're telling me its somebody knocking him on Facebook that is causing this?

The simple fact with Farrell is he's not currently good enough. Yes he makes some good saves, but more so than any other keeper at this level?

Yes he's one of our own, but that doesn't mean everybody should blindly back him. He's making mistakes, we need better.....we're Leeds.