No January Signings

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
mtsi5630
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Re: No January Signings

Post by mtsi5630 »

It was interesting to read Forshaw’s comments regarding Saiz’ departure. The togetherness of the squad is key and to bring in a player that might not fit in could be disastrous. As with all things this season in Bielsa I trust. He’s proven he knows what he’s doing.
sgt_pooly
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by sgt_pooly »

7 shots on target in the last 3 games, 6 goals. BPF may not be accountable for them all (he was at least 2), but it's not good reading.

We were due a slip up and luckily it's not made too much difference to the table. It would have been rather nice to be 9pts clear of WBA though.

The lack of rotation (through lack of options or lack of wanting?) was going to hit us at some point over this busy period, I just hope the squad can get some rest and push on for a busy Jan.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

We need to replace members of the squad at the beginning of the season like for like - Blackman, Viera & Saiz. Fail to do so and we will fail to go up.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

mtsi5630 wrote:It was interesting to read Forshaw’s comments regarding Saiz’ departure. The togetherness of the squad is key and to bring in a player that might not fit in could be disastrous. As with all things this season in Bielsa I trust. He’s proven he knows what he’s doing.
A point often not considered by those that favour the Viv Nicholson approach to football management.

We have a team spirit that is playing a significant role in the way the season as gone so far.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

It's a double edge sword, everyone knows the risks of a small squad, such as injuries or tiredness, but also the risks of bringing in someone who does not fit - at best they simply warm the bench all season, but otherwise they disrupt the squad. When Lasogga came in our game play changed much to the worse as we tried to channel play through him. Whoever comes in needs to be able to fit in, the question though is would they be fit enough? It could be they take a month or three to get up to fitness to meet the demand of being in a MB squad.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

mtsi5630 wrote:It was interesting to read Forshaw’s comments regarding Saiz’ departure. The togetherness of the squad is key and to bring in a player that might not fit in could be disastrous. As with all things this season in Bielsa I trust. He’s proven he knows what he’s doing.
Not buying that sorry. If our players don't welcome a new member to the squad, then its them that have got the problem. If the club decide to bring in some players then its down to MB alone to decide where and how he wants them to play, everyone else gets on with there respective jobs. We all must have some doubts about the current size and quality of the squad? I know i do. The players (in their own words) have never been pushed so hard in pre-season, can this small squad keep this pace up in the run in?

I know its difficult to find good players in Jan, and i'm not talking about breaking the bank either, but if we could find some useful loan players then i'm all for it. The lad from Liverpool banging them in at Derby. Someone like Mooy at Huddersfield who they initially loaned from City. Woodburn at the Blades from Liverpool. There are good young exciting players out there its up to the club to strike some deals. Its not like we are struggling in mid-table with nothing to play for.

Any player at this stage of the season should have a good level of fitness. Its our players coming back from injuries that worries me. How long is it going to take Brown to get upto full fitness after that bad and lengthy injury? Bamford after his injury plays 20-30mins and he is out again injured. For me, why we are in such a great position, lets try and attract some good players to help us push on in the second half of the season. If MB has turned this team into promotion contenders, then think what he could do with 3-4 promising players to help him along. Imo having more players to choose from is a no-brainer.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Nic wrote:It's a double edge sword, everyone knows the risks of a small squad, such as injuries or tiredness, but also the risks of bringing in someone who does not fit - at best they simply warm the bench all season, but otherwise they disrupt the squad. When Lasogga came in our game play changed much to the worse as we tried to channel play through him. Whoever comes in needs to be able to fit in, the question though is would they be fit enough? It could be they take a month or three to get up to fitness to meet the demand of being in a MB squad.
I think this is a case of being careful what you wish for.

Many years ago. Man City were flying high and were heading for the League Championship under a flamboyant manager by the name of Malcolm Allison. They went out and brought in a Prancing Horse who was going to be the cherry on top of their cake - Rodney Marsh from QPR. What actually happened is that this signing seemed to completely derail their campaign as the manager and team tried this way and that to make it work with Marsh in the side since they paid a lot of cash for him. :lol:

Personally I really do feel that a couple of astute signings would bolster the squad but the art is to pick the right ones to bring in. I still have my doubts about whether we have the wherewithal in any case.
Keep The Faith / WAL
rss1969
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by rss1969 »

Loan signings have been mentioned a few times in this thread.

Derby have cracked it with their intake this season of Mount, Wilson & Tomori. Villa have bought in Tounzabe, Abraham & Bolasie. WBA bought in Barnes. They have all been key players and most of them have elevated their clubs position. These are just a few but other clubs have used the loan market well.

Wilson & Barnes have scored more goals than any of our players bar Roofe. Abraham has outscored Roofe by some distance.

Baker, Harrison & Blackman (never mind his injury, he had not playes a senior league game for us!) have been a complete waste of time for us. Clarke & Shackleton have had more impact than all of them put together. Brown is injured again and may well play less than 10 games for the club the way things are going.

If we fail to go up, this will be the biggest factor in it. Loan signings are absolutely key in this division now. Getting it right is essential, Huddersfield & Fulham both proved that in the last 2 seasons. Unless you have millions to spend it is unlikely that a squad will be good enough to go up without decent loans and yet we are top...........Bielsa has dragged every ounce out of what we have at our disposal (whilst ignoring the loan players who are not up to it) but he now needs some backing from the owners to bring in 2/3 decent players that will push us over the top.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Good post RSS and (for once ;) ) I completely agree with you.

I think it's about time Marcelo got on to Spurs and City and cashed in a few favours from the two managers who sing his praises the loudest.

Might I suggest Alderweireld, Kane, Aguero and Delph ? :D
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by SG90 »

We always seem to get the bad end of the loan market. Baker and Harrison were both poor signings for Boro last year, so why we feel the need to copy everything they do is beyond me.
isrodger wrote:We need to replace members of the squad at the beginning of the season like for like - Blackman, Viera & Saiz. Fail to do so and we will fail to go up.
Agreed. Goalkeeper on loan - Forster, Pope, Heaton, Ward, Gunn someone good not mediocre, Reece Oxford on loan and Ibai Gomez would be my choices. Either Kebano or Ayite on loan from Fulham as well, neither are in favour at the moment.