my favourite leeds game of all time

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Aaron
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: my favourite leeds game of all time

Post by Aaron »

The Johnson wrote:It has to be Arsenal 2 Leeds 3. Amazing game.
Same for me. I'm not lucky enough to have been around in the 60's, 70's etc to watch them. The only memories I really have of Leeds are a year or two in the Premiership and from then on the Championship and League 1.
Malcolm Stark
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Malcolm Stark »

Independent Republic wrote:
corkleedsmot wrote:speed and strachan were my favourite players as a kid.i had strachan on the back of my jersey when i was about 5-6.do ye remember his goal where the ball went into the top corner and got stuck in the posts?
V Stuttgart in a near empty Camp Nou if I recall correctly.

Lost to Rangers in the next round. FFS.
My favourite ever Leeds game was the 4-1 win over Stuttgart in the original second leg.

I always remember Scott Sellars being brilliant that night. Attacking from both the left and the right, and it was unbelievable with Leeds being 0-3 down, they could ever have any chance at all of going through. But they nearly did. In that final fifteen minutes, I was passing, tackling, shooting every ball (probably why you only won 4-1), and I was as gutted as I was at seeing any English team going out of Europe in the last three or four decades.

Then, well you all know the story, and that game has sadly become a void match, effectively. My views are that Leeds played so well, Stuttgart were harrassed into making that error.
Independent Republic
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Independent Republic »

Yes. A fantastic match. I remember Cantona being absolute rubbish in the first leg , wouldn't even chase his shadow. We wore those damn blue jerseys. We didn't win one match in them all season. I personally blame the jersey for our demise that season and have never liked any blue away Jersey since. Bring back the yellow one (not gold) for all our sakes. Our season would take off then!
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

1962/63 Don Revie was manager but it was before the 'great days'. Leeds played Chelsea at ER in the old Second Division. Chelsea were top of the league and turned out in very dark blue (almost purple) matching shirts, shorts and socks, unusual then. When they ran onto the pitch you could tell that they fancied themselves to win. Leeds had Albert Johanneson on the left wing and all that season he had been getting some nasty stick from opposition supporters, particularly in London. Leeds lost Smith in the first half with a broken leg (he got booked for the tackle which broke his leg). No subs then, so Leeds played with 10 men. Albert scored both Leeds goals in a 2 - 0 win. No promotion, no cup won but for sheer satisfaction it was an unforgettable game.
I once played against Don Revie.
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Otherworld »

In September 1993, I was in the last couple of months of my Army career, based on Salisbury Plain, and not too far from Southampton. Leeds United visited The Dell, looking for their first away league win since the league-winning victory at Sheffield United 16 months earlier. I sheepishly took my place behind the goal, in the terrace that I assumed to be full of Southampton fans. It didn't take long to realise that there were plenty of Leeds fans in there.

It was a tight first half, which included a horrendous clash of heads between Brian Deane and Ken Monkou. Both attempted to head the ball, both missed, and connected cleanly with each other's forehead. There was a sickening 'thud', which brought a groan from the crowd, and both players went down about 10 yards from where I was standing. Monkou was out cold, his eyes open but showing only white, and his tongue hanging out the side of his mouth like a cartoon puppy. I looked over to Deano, expecting to see him in a similar state, only to see him jump to his feet, rub his forehead with the back of his hand, and trot back to the halfway line with a slightly puzzled look on his face!

The second half saw Deano score early on, but it was a nail-biter until the 90th minute when Gary Speed slotted a cool strike from the edge of the box. There was a huge roar from the substantial away support when it hit the back of the net, 16 months of waiting was over, and the full-time whistle shortly afterwards was a massive relief!
Last edited by Otherworld on 15 Jan 2014, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Leeds 4 Liverpool 3

Simply because I had planned to watch the match at home. My mates 3 Liverpool supporters and a Scum fan had said they wouldn't be down for the game but ended up arriving 10 mins before the kick off. You can imagine how the afternoon started ... and how it ended, oh what a joy.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders