my favourite leeds game of all time

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
The Johnson
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: my favourite leeds game of all time

Post by The Johnson »

It has to be Arsenal 2 Leeds 3. Amazing game.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Favourite game - When i've been at the ground itself - Leeds 4 Hull 3. Crazy game had almost everything.............Hendrie long range header, Vinnie Jones cracking volley, 2 penalties to Hull (both scored), their midfielder trying to copy Vinnie's goal to give them the lead for the first time in the game (2-3), Varadi's simple tap in and Strachan's last minute goal to win the game.
The other game in my head would have been the Bournemouth game to send us back up after 8 years in the wilderness also in the 89/90 season.

Favourite game from afar - a few choices there no particular order
Leeds vs Bristol Rovers to get us promoted
Leeds vs Liverpool - Viduka's day
Arsenal vs Leeds - kept us up and lost them the title
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

So many to choose from its a hard decision to make if I'm honest. There was several high scoring games that stick in the memory ...

LUFC 10 Lynn of Oslo 0
LUFC 7 Southampton 0
LUFC 7 Chelsea 0
The game though that really sticks out is ..

LUFC 5 Scum 1

A Mick Jones treble destroyed Man U in front of over 45000 at Elland Road.

I suppose for sheer drama the Bristol Rovers game had everything and the sheer volume of the support inside the ground that day I believe won the game, the Rovers players were visibly quaking in their boots once the volume had been turned up.
Winner of the Europa League
1964white
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by 1964white »

NottinghamWhite wrote:So many to choose from its a hard decision to make if I'm honest. There was several high scoring games that stick in the memory ...

LUFC 10 Lynn of Oslo 0
LUFC 7 Southampton 0
LUFC 7 Chelsea 0
The game though that really sticks out is ..

LUFC 5 Scum 1

A Mick Jones treble destroyed Man U in front of over 45000 at Elland Road.

I suppose for sheer drama the Bristol Rovers game had everything and the sheer volume of the support inside the ground that day I believe won the game, the Rovers players were visibly quaking in their boots once the volume had been turned up.
Saw all of them

Leeds 2-1 Spurs (1972) is still my favourite

Beat Oslo 16-0 on aggravate :thumbup:
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

1964white wrote:
Really can't remember that particular game. Now had time to think a bit more and the 2 following games are right up there...

1972 FA Cup Final leaving North Yorkshire at midnight and arriving at 06:30 in the morning drinking at Smithfield Market. Who can ever forget Allan Clarkes goal :D

1969 Liverpool away a tight 0-0 draw saw us win the league in front of a very passionate Anfield crowd. Shanks sending his players to us in the Leeds end and The Don sending our players to The Kop and the Liverpool fans chanting Champions at our players. :D
alwaysleeds
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by alwaysleeds »

I don't remember the year, but it was in the beginning of the seventies. Leeds played against Brann in my hometown Bergen in Norway. It was a huge experience to see all the classic stars up close; like Peter Lorimer, Allan Clarke, Billy Bremner and Paul Madeley. I was a little boy at the game with my father. I will NEVER forget it!

Leeds won the game, of course. I think it was 2-1. I perhaps was the only one on the game not supporting my hometown team Brann... :)
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Not so much a favourite game but certainly one that stands out in the memory is 1967/1968 Leeds v Glasgow Rangers. After drawing the first game that was labelled the Battle of Britain 0-0 at Ibrox in front of a crowd of 80000 we won the home leg 2-0 , Lorimer and a Giles penalty so us go through. However the game was marred by some of the worst crowd trouble I have ever seen not only at ER but anywhere. When the first goal went in I was in what is now the Kop but back then it was just a massive open stand and the Rangers fans hurled empty whiskey bottles at us from their position in the Lowfields Road. After the game they rioted outside the ground turning over cars and hot dog stands. Even now I can remember the sheer relief getting back to our coach. By the way we had a 50000 crowd that night inside the ground memory can't remember how many were Rangers but it seemed they were well supported in numbers that night.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Sadly most of those games were either before i was born or a couple of years old :cry:

A couple more i will add are -

Leeds vs Leicester 89/90 season 2-1 win with Sterland (long range screamer along the floor)and Strachan (have you seen a better goal and one better timed or something close to those words) getting the goals.

From the league champions season -
hard to go past
Aston Villa 1-4 Leeds
Sheff Wed 1-6 Leeds (guess they got revenge last week)
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
1964white wrote:
Really can't remember that particular game. Now had time to think a bit more and the 2 following games are right up there...

1972 FA Cup Final leaving North Yorkshire at midnight and arriving at 06:30 in the morning drinking at Smithfield Market. Who can ever forget Allan Clarkes goal :D

1969 Liverpool away a tight 0-0 draw saw us win the league in front of a very passionate Anfield crowd. Shanks sending his players to us in the Leeds end and The Don sending our players to The Kop and the Liverpool fans chanting Champions at our players. :D

The FA cup final win was my favourite game of all time, the FA cup in those days was nearly as big as the a World Cup, it was amazing to get to the final and beat a quality Arsenal side, I was 12 at the time and still recall the agonies and ecstasy of that game, it was torture then massive relief and jubilation in us winning the FA cup.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
Independent Republic
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Independent Republic »

corkleedsmot wrote:speed and strachan were my favourite players as a kid.i had strachan on the back of my jersey when i was about 5-6.do ye remember his goal where the ball went into the top corner and got stuck in the posts?
V Stuttgart in a near empty Camp Nou if I recall correctly.

Lost to Rangers in the next round. FFS.