Spygate

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Spygate

Post by Another Northern Soul »

PhoenixUnited wrote:
rigger wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote: We hardly ever beat Forest when Shilton was there
Leicester City, mate :D
Can't remember exactly when it was but Shilton turned out for Stoke City in a very fetching all white strip and we ended up giving Stoke a real good tonking! No idea how many times he had to pick the ball out of the net but he looked a proper nana :D :D
Sorry but you'll need to back this up as I don't think it's accurate :D - then again, I'm using Wiki as evidence (m'lud) so who knows, and a Leeds v Stoke stats site? I've never liked Shilton TBH but he had a decent record against us, and Stoke were for a long time a bogey team for us.

He joined Stoke in Nov 74 and left in Sept 77 for Forest.
14 Dec 1974 Leeds United v Stoke City W 3-1 League Division One
13 Sep 1975 Stoke City v Leeds United L 3-2 League Division One
10 Jan 1976 Leeds United v Stoke City W 2-0 League Division One
01 Sep 1976 Stoke City v Leeds United L 2-1 League Cup
10 Nov 1976 Leeds United v Stoke City D 1-1 League Division One
12 Apr 1977 Stoke City v Leeds United L 2-1 League Division One
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
PhoenixUnited wrote:
rigger wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote: We hardly ever beat Forest when Shilton was there
Leicester City, mate :D
Can't remember exactly when it was but Shilton turned out for Stoke City in a very fetching all white strip and we ended up giving Stoke a real good tonking! No idea how many times he had to pick the ball out of the net but he looked a proper nana :D :D
Sorry but you'll need to back this up as I don't think it's accurate :D - then again, I'm using Wiki as evidence (m'lud) so who knows, and a Leeds v Stoke stats site? I've never liked Shilton TBH but he had a decent record against us, and Stoke were for a long time a bogey team for us.
I fear m'lud memories are playing tricks on me and apologise for my earlier misleading statement. I plead old age.

Shilton did turnout in the all white strip with a roll neck top. Pictures evident on Internet. However, it was a Leicester City strip , not Stoke. From memory, which is a bit suspect, the TVs station did a piece beforehand banging on about the white strip which Shlton says helped his defence to be able to see him better. Leicester lost and he looked a bit of a twit afterwards
Keep The Faith / WAL
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Nothing to apologize for, my learned friend ;)
Oldfox
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by Oldfox »

SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:Time to tell Mr Landsdown to do one me thinks:-

Bristol City owner Steve Lansdown has reiterated his belief that Leeds United should be docked points for the Spygate saga and says Marcelo Bielsa has "damaged the reputation of football." The Robins owner last week claimed that the only punishment that "made sense" was a points deduction for United following the incident in which one of Bielsa's staff was caught outside of Derby County's training ground "spying". Bristol City owner Steve Lansdown has reiterated his call for Leeds United to receive a points deduction over Spygate. The Argentine later admitted that he had used the practice against all of his opponents this season in an impromptu press briefing which led to 11 EFL clubs writing a letter of complaint to the governing body. Lansdown, who owns Bristol City and was one of the chairman to put their signature on the letter, has now reiterated his belief that the Whites should be docked points, telling talkSPORT: “It’s is the only thing clubs understand. It’s the real punishment because it affects performance and it affects everything to do with the club. “What Mr Bielsa has done is damage the reputation of football, in my opinion, and we can’t condone that. We need to take what necessary action as appropriate to the crime he’s committed. “It’s not unlawful, but it depends on the circumstances of each spying incident. If they’ve gone onto private property without permission, then that’s trespassing." EFL chief Shaun Harvey, who also appeared on talkSPORT on Friday, says that the matter will be dealt with as soon as possible: "The one commitment I am able to make to Leeds supporters, and indeed the supporters of others clubs, is that whatever outcome we’re going to get to, we’re going to get there as quickly as is humanly possible,"
Steve Lansdown is a billionaire, he has more money than he could possibly spend in his lifetime. He made his money in the British economy. He moved to the tax haven of Guernsey because he’d said he though he had paid his fair share of British tax. He also continues to run businesses from Guernsey and other off shore tax havens. So he is still earning from the British economy, the economy that enabled him to become a billIonaire, but just not paying the taxes. What he has done is perfectly legal One could question if it was moral. He has called for a points deduction for Leeds. If that happened it would increase the chance of his club getting into the Premier League, which would enable him as the owner to become richer as the club he owns would massively increase in value. One could say he has a vested interest financially in Leeds losing points. I wonder if his outrage is fuelled by the opportunity to increase his chances of Premier League riches rather than genuine outrage. Well, actually I do not wonder at all, but that is just my opinion.
MyNameIsMark
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by MyNameIsMark »

Oldfox wrote:

Bristol City owner Steve Lansdown has reiterated his belief that Leeds United should be docked points for the Spygate saga and says Marcelo Bielsa has "damaged the reputation of football." The Robins owner last week claimed that the only punishment that "made sense" was a points deduction for United following the incident in which one of Bielsa's staff was caught outside of Derby County's training ground "spying". Bristol City owner Steve Lansdown has reiterated his call for Leeds United to receive a points deduction over Spygate. The Argentine later admitted that he had used the practice against all of his opponents this season in an impromptu press briefing which led to 11 EFL clubs writing a letter of complaint to the governing body. Lansdown, who owns Bristol City and was one of the chairman to put their signature on the letter, has now reiterated his belief that the Whites should be docked points, telling talkSPORT: “It’s is the only thing clubs understand. It’s the real punishment because it affects performance and it affects everything to do with the club. “What Mr Bielsa has done is damage the reputation of football, in my opinion, and we can’t condone that. We need to take what necessary action as appropriate to the crime he’s committed. “It’s not unlawful, but it depends on the circumstances of each spying incident. If they’ve gone onto private property without permission, then that’s trespassing." EFL chief Shaun Harvey, who also appeared on talkSPORT on Friday, says that the matter will be dealt with as soon as possible: "The one commitment I am able to make to Leeds supporters, and indeed the supporters of others clubs, is that whatever outcome we’re going to get to, we’re going to get there as quickly as is humanly possible,"
Steve Lansdown is a billionaire, he has more money than he could possibly spend in his lifetime. He made his money in the British economy. He moved to the tax haven of Guernsey because he’d said he though he had paid his fair share of British tax. He also continues to run businesses from Guernsey and other off shore tax havens. So he is still earning from the British economy, the economy that enabled him to become a billIonaire, but just not paying the taxes. What he has done is perfectly legal One could question if it was moral. He has called for a points deduction for Leeds. If that happened it would increase the chance of his club getting into the Premier League, which would enable him as the owner to become richer as the club he owns would massively increase in value. One could say he has a vested interest financially in Leeds losing points. I wonder if his outrage is fuelled by the opportunity to increase his chances of Premier League riches rather than genuine outrage. Well, actually I do not wonder at all, but that is just my opinion.
Exactly.

The fact he's even talking about ethics & what's right or wrong is utter hypocrisy when he himself has worked around the law, taking advantage of loopholes to gain a better footing.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

MyNameIsMark wrote:
Oldfox wrote:

Exactly.

The fact he's even talking about ethics & what's right or wrong is utter hypocrisy when he himself has worked around the law, taking advantage of loopholes to gain a better footing.
I'm a Bristolian. He started the financial services firm Hargreaves Lansdown in the 80s and my best friend's dad worked for them. Lansdown and Peter Hargeaves f***ed him over, he lost his house and his livelihood. The man is a ….
PhoenixUnited

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Well now! How about those Milwall fans on Saturday against Everton.

Surely, given the high moral stand that the club likes to make there should be full disclosure about who did what, why and when and also there should be chapter and verse of every incident involving the "fans" of that club and in particular there should be the details of what exactly the club has done about them in the past and is doing about them after this latest event.

I wonder if Neil Harris considers that carry on by his club's fans a "disgrace"? :D Will their chairman apologise in any way shape or form. :D

Kicking Milwall out of the competition would be fair wouldn't it? :D

Are Sky not at all bothered since they are not covering the FA Cup? Where is Jim White hiding?

People in glass houses................... :lol:
Keep The Faith / WAL
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Been thinking about this today and what to do about it.

I think that maybe a structured approach should be taken, depending on the level of the club (ie what division they're in).

Chelsea wouldn't feel a thing if they were fined, but their fans might be more liable to self-police if they find themselves shut out of their own ground for a couple of games.
If it happened again, make it three games behind closed doors .. and so on until maybe a points deduction might be in order.
Lower league clubs could be hit by the same punishment, again to make the fans more aware of it (like we did with our own stewards for away trips) and also because of the more proportionate financial implications of lost gate money.

The only thing that concerns me about these ideas is in case fans of a different club pitched up and caused trouble in the home end.
You would hope that this would be pretty hard to do in this day and age, what with sell-outs and technology (CCTV and tickets being linked to payment cards).

Something needs to be done about Millwall more than ever, but you can't single them out as there's more than one set of fans at fault, even if they've consistently been the worst culprits.
PhoenixUnited

Post by PhoenixUnited »

rigger wrote:
Something needs to be done about Millwall more than ever, but you can't single them out as there's more than one set of fans at fault, even if they've consistently been the worst culprits.
The point I was making is the bare faced, brass necked hypocrisy of some of these Clubs in the stand that they are making. They should be looking at themselves before pointing fingers at others.

If you want to make up a new rule going forward that is fine and dandy but people should not be trying to penalise others retrospectively for apparently transgressing some vague unwritten code that apparently all British managers follow and, by definition, all foreign would naturally disregard. There is no case to answer but I fear that the EFL will stick it to Leeds :|
Keep The Faith / WAL
Nic

Post by Nic »

PhoenixUnited wrote:Well now! How about those Milwall fans on Saturday against Everton.

Surely, given the high moral stand that the club likes to make there should be full disclosure about who did what, why and when and also there should be chapter and verse of every incident involving the "fans" of that club and in particular there should be the details of what exactly the club has done about them in the past and is doing about them after this latest event.

I wonder if Neil Harris considers that carry on by his club's fans a "disgrace"? :D Will their chairman apologise in any way shape or form. :D

Kicking Milwall out of the competition would be fair wouldn't it? :D
The FA have said they will not be taking action because Leeds aren't involved the fans were outside the ground.

Wasn't the Leeds observer outside the ground too :think: . . . . just saying